Post-Game Talk: Are you saying Blues or Boourns? Jets win 5-1!

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
By far the biggest win of the season. Biggest takeaway? Kyle Connor. I remember before the Jets drafted Laine, Connor was "the" prospect everyone was excited about. Then Laine comes in and blows the doors off the house. Everyone forgets. Connor scores 31 goals in rookie season. Everyone chalks it up to Scheifele and Wheeler. NO! Kyle Connor is the real deal. I am comfortable saying he's better than Ehlers. Until Ehlers proves otherwise. Ehlers has the speed, but Connor has the smooth hands to go with it. Having no room in the top 6 for a player of Ehlers calibre is an incredibly good problem to have.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I know they were playing with a lead there but the Jets sat back way to much in that game. The team has the sheer talent to toss in a few opportunistic goals when needed, but letting the opponent control the majority of the game that way is not a good strategy long-term.

Hard to b*tch about a 5-1 win on opening night, but this team is so talented that I have come to expect them to be dominant. Hopefully this shook off the rust and the Jets come out with a wire-to-wire effort in game 2.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Great road game.

Helle: Best player tonight and if he can give the Jets that kind of goaltending on a regular biases the Jets are a President Trophy contender and SC favorite.

Conner: By far the best forward tonight. He out played both Scheifele and Wheeler when both had a good game. Think about that, Conner could end up being one of the Jets best players in a year or two. If he keeps this up he will be expensive to keep. Great problem to have.

JoMo and Trouba: Trouba had issues in the first period but after that both were both solid and are proving they are the 1/2 D on this team.

Morrow: Good game and has proved that he belongs on the top six for the Jets.

Laine: Played well, broke up a stretch pass for a breakaway and his defensive work was good. He really needs to be better on the boards but over all I like his first game.

Tanev: His play when he loss his stick on the PK in the 3rd period was as good as can be played in the NHL. Absolutely belongs on this team and he makes the Jets better. Got to give Maurice credit here because I did not think much of him at first but Maurice insisted to keep him on the team. Great valuation from Maurice Tanev is a great shut down player that makes the Jets a better team.

Lowry: One of the best defensive centre in the league and love his game. If he stays healthy the Jets will be a dominating team in the league.

Buff: Good Buff was on display tonight. While he may not be able to produce points like he did in the past he avoids major mistakes and does not hurt the team.

Myers: Great skater and is good at puck retrieval but once the cycle is on in our own end he is a liability that hurts the team.

Little: Was ok at best but he needs to be better to hold onto the 2nd C spot.

Ves: Didn't hurt us but not sure he is ready for regular play in the NHL.

Roslo and Ehlers: Both deserved more ice time and Ehlers played really good in the first but after that he disappeared. Ehlers need to be a factor all game instead of what we saw tonight. Roslo will be a great C in the future but he still needs to learn how to be effective at the NHL level.

Over all a really good road game by the Jets and a great start to the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Strummer

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I love suggested lineup changes after a 5-1 divisional road win. Lol.

Yeah. People suggests that what is visibly not working should be fixed.

Lines suggested for changes were exactly those that did achieve absolutely nothing. Nobody suggested touching CSW and CLT I guess.

Don't touch what is working, but for sure touch what isn't.

Ps. 5-1 numbers were really far from the truth to be honest. For sure the Jets were much better than the Blues, but not 5 to 1 better.

I really did love how Helle did pick up after some more than iffy moments on first half of the games. So sad guys in front of him made a mistake on that goal. Little was just way too gassed on that one to think clear and left his guy wide open. There was no way Wheeler could have arrived on time to save that one.

Besides obvious, but easily fixed line problems and Myers starting a little slow, I think the only major problem was taking stupid penalties.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I prefer Ehlers on the 2nd LW with Laine and Little, but that’s my opinion.
Coach will do what he feels best.

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
So 5v5 Lowry line played almost as much as CSW and PLL...it's a bit funny how conservative Maurice is on the road games. Yeah you want to use the Lowry line to shutdown opposition, but putting them out on the ice 5v5 more than some best offensive guys is dumb. They all ready get the PK minutes as well, so maybe Ehlers could have had some of those minutes?

And distributing the minutes so evenly between 4 lines is not the optimal way. Lowry's line is not there to make offence, that's just the way it is.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So 5v5 Lowry line played almost as much as CSW and PLL...it's a bit funny how conservative Maurice is on the road games. Yeah you want to use the Lowry line to shutdown opposition, but putting them out on the ice 5v5 more than some best offensive guys is dumb. They all ready get the PK minutes as well, so maybe Ehlers could have had some of those minutes?

And distributing the minutes so evenly between 4 lines is not the optimal way. Lowry's line is not there to make offence, that's just the way it is.
Their line scored 40% of their goals. I think the Lowry line is going to score more this season.

Fun fact... Last season that line outscored opponents by 1.34 goals per 60 minutes at 5v5.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

I thought Ehlers early on was bad defensively. He made some poor puck decisions. I think that is why they sat more then the other lines.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Cant belive people are pooing on Vesa, ask yourself, how good would you play in your first NHL-game, I say, most would stink. Give him 5 games and then we can judge him. But if he only will play sub 10 min a game, we better off sending him to Europé or Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooose.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Was unable to watch first period due to Viaplay goof up.

PP2 didn't get any time tonight so that plays into Ehlers' numbers. That very poor shift by the line in the 2nd also affected things I believe. They gave him a shift with Little/Laine later, but that may just have been because a long preceding shift by Perreault.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Positive Problem: Connor is going to cost a fortune to re-sign next year

So very true Anton -- imagine if Connor scores 40 + goals and Laine scores 50 + goals, it will cost truckloads of money to sign them both. Call the Brinks trucks Chevy. :laugh: Take out the old Lloyds calculator, and make it work-"could get expensive."

Z-Lloyds.jpg

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Coach doesn't want to break Scheif Wheeler up. I dunno if he's right but I get it.

Whatever way you put together the lines...the Jets are so deep it doesn't matter. I am truly pumped!

They have an option with Roslovic.

+++ CLT is great for their role

+ CSW is good. Bad defensively but great offensively, thus outscoring opponent.

- PLL seems not to work. Some Perreault - Laine connection going on, zero with Little - Laine. Pretty expected given their history.

-- VRE was not good at all. Some good individual effort by Roslovic, also some good by Ehlers. If I am very generous, Vesalainen was OK given that it was his first game.

Looking at those it's pretty obvious you should try to suffle PLL and VRE a bit. The most simple change would be PRL & VLE (switching Little <-> Roslovic), and another being ERL & VLP switching Laine and Vesalainen (or Dano/Petan [when he is ready]), to get Ehlers going.

As someone said 6 million is way too much to pay 4th line winger playing 10 minutes a game, so something just has to be done eventually. That same 6 million winger was part of by far the most winning 5-on-5 line last season, and that guys is NOT ELL, but EStL.

Current situation is painfully wasting Laine and Ehlers on 5-on-5.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Prior to the schedule being released we got tickets to the Cirque show in town. I was resolved to the fact that I would find out the score. Being at the MTS Center all but guaranteed that. Somehow I slipped through and made it home to watch the game spoiler free. It was like pulling off a great heist. The 5 - 1 win was the cherry on top.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Cant belive people are pooing on Vesa, ask yourself, how good would you play in your first NHL-game, I say, most would stink. Give him 5 games and then we can judge him. But if he only will play sub 10 min a game, we better off sending him to Europé or Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooose.

It’s not horrible to think Vesalainen isn’t NHL ready, not saying I believe that at all though(Id like to see all 9 games before I judge that). People should not Pooh on him, I mean looking at the comments and viewing it from my own opinion I see people saying Connor looks like he could potentially be the Jets best player in the future(I’m not saying it will happen because we have Laine and Scheifele but some nights I wonder why this guy doesn’t have over a point per game). Now if you look at it Connor wasn’t good enough to play in the NHL in his D+2 either, so maybe we should over analyze Vesalainens first regular season game in North America.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

So very true Anton -- imagine if Connor scores 40 + goals and Laine scores 50 + goals, it will cost truckloads of money to sign them both. Call the Brinks trucks Chevy. :laugh: Take out the old Lloyds calculator, and make it work-"could get expensive."

View attachment 144273

This is why I believe Ehlers and Connor should switch spots.

Reactions: Board Bard

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Locker room will divide very soon if Ehlers is still on 4th line. Laine, Ehlers and some others will start a coup against Maurice. Chevy better trade Ehlers now before Maurice’s usage destroys his value.

This is a tightly knit group. There are not going to be any foreseeable lockeroom issues. Perreault played 4th line minutes and didn't request a trade or destroy the locker room. Ehlers signed a cheap deal for a player of his caliber because he wanted to play here. He will earn his minutes back one way or another even if he doesn't necessarily deserve less right now. It just comes with the territory of winning and having a ridiculously deep team of forwards.

Yeah, you sure were asleep. Having Little and Laine in the same line = is completely sleeping through the game.

I think I noticed another 50 Jets threads that didn't have any disparaging comments of Little playing with Laine. Better get on it! :deadhorse

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Some people are so transparent in their motives that it's hilarious :laugh:. Atleast wait until Little
actually has a bad game before dumping on him so that at the very least you have plausible deniability about your agenda. Little had a very good game, him and Laine found each other a few times in the o-zone, including a beauty pass by Laine that Little almost got in the net.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad