Proposal: Are you in favor of trading Bo Horvat?

Would you trade Bo Horvat?

• Total voters

Nov 1, 2011
Any names come to mind? Trying to wrap my head around what could make sense for not only us but another team. Prying a top pair D doesn’t happen often. Would be like a Johansen for jones type of situation.

The guy I want the most is Dobson.

Probably could have gotten him for Boeser last year...now I think he's untouchable.

Maybe a guy like Bowen Byram+.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
The guy I want the most is Dobson.

Probably could have gotten him for Boeser last year...now I think he's untouchable.

Maybe a guy like Bowen Byram+.
Sounds like Dobson is a definite no, islanders don’t really need a bo. Still unsure on where the Avs stand onbyram. I mean I am sure they just want him healthy and in their lineup but sitting on the sidelines doesn’t help their cup drive here either.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Any names come to mind? Trying to wrap my head around what could make sense for not only us but another team. Prying a top pair D doesn’t happen often. Would be like a Johansen for jones type of situation.

One guy I sorta see as a possibility (although he's reportedly been very off and possibly dealing with PCS) is Carlo. Less risky than Byram but still risk involved. Horvat to Boston for Carlo & a 1st would be a good trade for us imo.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
One guy I sorta see as a possibility (although he's reportedly been very off and possibly dealing with PCS) is Carlo. Less risky than Byram but still risk involved. Horvat to Boston for Carlo & a 1st would be a good trade for us imo.

In theory, the value isnt bad.

But the team cant afford to lose Horvat without a C joining the team. This doesnt have to be via trade, but can be via free agency.

Pettersson cant take face offs, same with Dickinson.

We dont really want to play Lammikko 16 minutes a game because we dont have a C who can take draws.

Right now, all signs point to Boeser as the likely one out.

Last edited:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
In theory, the value isnt bad.

But the team cant afford to lose Horvat without a C joining the team. This doesnt have to be via trade, but can be via free agency.

Pettersson cant take face offs, same with Dickinson.

We dont really want to play Lammikko 16 minutes a game because we dont have a C who can take draws.

Right now, all signs point to Boeser as the likely one out.

My money is on a Boeser move too, just because he doesn't play the speedy game that this management group wants to play and he's too pricey. I'm not ruling out a Bo move though. While it would cause a scene to strip the C, I think it's becoming clear that JT Miller is the locker room leader and it's likely becoming awkward for Horvat. His play just hasn't been consistent this year and he's too busy with his own struggles to lead by example. They need to move him for his sake, because stripping the C is humiliating, but we clearly need a new captain with the change at every other leadership department in this organization. I think a faceoff-taking C can be found in the offseason, but I do think we wait until we know JT is staying before moving him out.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I would never trade Horvat unless the return was simply unreal.

Second line center who wins more draws than he loses, big body who can handle playoffs. Simply not something you move unless you are getting a more talented center or Dman.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
My hot take after Dec 5th was Horvat would be traded due to how negatively his eagerness to continue to participate with the organization had been effected.

With the comments from management about everyone but Demko, Pettersson or Hughes being available, it seemed more likely ... but now with how no one's being traded (re-sign Boeser, Miller) and it's possible they actually believe there's a chance to make the playoffs (I don't think it's realistic), I'm not so certain.

I can honestly say I don't have a clue what these folks are doing with this team and the media is no help at all in figuring it out. Maybe the trade deadline will help make things a bit clearer, but I wouldn't be surprised now to see them do nothing.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I would never trade Horvat unless the return was simply unreal.

Second line center who wins more draws than he loses, big body who can handle playoffs. Simply not something you move unless you are getting a more talented center or Dman.
This. His last playoff appearance was unreal. Can’t question his leadership after that.

Reactions: dwarf and LordBacon

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A signed Boeser is still good trade chip. Sign him, boost his value and trade him? Or he rebounds and you keep him since he fits in with the age structure moving forward.
Boeser is risky on long term deal, if he rediscovers prime Boeser he's a steal. If he continues to decline then he's a negative value cap dump.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
If there was no market for Boeser, or there's a "Mike Richards for rookie Brayden Schenn" type deal to be had in which we move Bo (not for character reasons in this case) to get a blue-chip young C or RD (e.g. if somehow McTavish was available, or if he was the ask for Braden Schneider) then definitely. Re-sign Miller before and give him the C, and maybe this re-tool is what it costs to improve things cap and team-balance wise.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
This guy has so much potential if he just played with more consistent intensity (yes I know this can be said about dozens of players).

He has all the tools + the size and power to be an impact player. Not necessarily a true #1 C but like a Kesler in his prime (not as good defensively but perhaps better all-around offensive ability).

He can be a power-forward that is really tough to handle, we've seen glimpses. Saw some of it in yesterday's game and I think "damn, I really want to love him but he disappears way too often". I truly think he can get there if he dedicates himself to it.

If he's never going to get there, we're better off trading him, because I don't feel comfortable defensively with EP / Miller / Bo down the middle. None of these guys can up against a loaded top line.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
I am willing to bet that all people here, including myself, have had an experience in which they are bad at a job and are letting people down, and they know it.

For me it was early fatherhood.

I believe Horvat is a good father. But I wonder if he is going through some of the same emotions that we all did when we knew we were bad at something and it was letting others down. For him, it will be captain and leader of the Canucks.

Trade Horvat.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If there was no market for Boeser, or there's a "Mike Richards for rookie Brayden Schenn" type deal to be had in which we move Bo (not for character reasons in this case) to get a blue-chip young C or RD (e.g. if somehow McTavish was available, or if he was the ask for Braden Schneider) then definitely. Re-sign Miller before and give him the C, and maybe this re-tool is what it costs to improve things cap and team-balance wise.
Yeah I agree. Why should we trade Miller when he looks like he's 3 tiers above any other forward on our roster? I would rather take picks/prospects for Boeser and Horvat. Move up Lammikko and Klimovich while gaining cap space + assets.

There needs to be a re-vamp of the D which will come from selling forwards.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I am and I’ll simply say it’s because he is no longer young. When this team is ready to compete he will be 30 years old and we can already see that his game seems to be declining and getting more inconsistent. I think if the team is honest then he should be dangled in trade talks. Hell if I am Horvat I want to be moved as well.

But I don’t think they will. I think they like him and consider him part of the small core they will move forward with.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Yeah I agree. Why should we trade Miller when he looks like he's 3 tiers above any other forward on our roster? I would rather take picks/prospects for Boeser and Horvat. Move up Lammikko and Klimovich while gaining cap space + assets.

Because with where we are at its useless to have Miller. It’s like paying for OJ’s lawyer for getting caught shop lifting one cent candy. We don’t need him until we can murder some teams in the playoffs which is at least 5 years out and he would be an old and bad lawyer by then if we keep him around.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Because the goal isnt to have a forward that is 3 tiers above any other forward on our roster, it is to win a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: B-rock

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avs fan here in peace. What would Colorado need to add on top of their 2023 1st for Horvat in the off-season?

(Please don't say Newhook because he's obviously not going to get moved for a player with only one year to UFA).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS. Good game last night. Boudreau seems to have made a tangible difference. Happy to help you in your race against Vegas. 😉

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Curious as to what the board thinks.

In my opinion: He's not demonstrated he's a great leader on the ice. He's had one or two flashes of brilliance in his career but mostly seems to disappear for long stretches of time.

I would trade him before Miller.
I'd trade Horvat before Miller due to the same reasons you listed...I just do not see the leader on the ice,,,or on the bench getting his team going...he has heart,,,,but Miller has heart and grit and shows more emotion...

Reactions: RussianRacket

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Avs fan here in peace. What would Colorado need to add on top of their 2023 1st for Horvat in the off-season?

(Please don't say Newhook because he's obviously not going to get moved for a player with only one year to UFA).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS. Good game last night. Boudreau seems to have made a tangible difference. Happy to help you in your race against Vegas. 😉
The usual ask of Top prospect, high pick and roster player…

Horvat is not flavour of the month here… But honestly we don’t know how this new management even values him so who knows what it takes or if he is in his plans…

But since you asked you Can keep your 1st and I would do Horvat and Myers for Byram and a bag of edibles.

Reactions: mathonwy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad