Proposal: Are you in favor of trading Bo Horvat?

Would you trade Bo Horvat?

• Total voters

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Torn. He needs to be a more noticeable leader out there right now. But I feel for the guy,he has spent his entire pro career losing. Badly with a sh@t supporting cast most times. The one "playoff run" in the bubble they had no business being in, he delivered some of his best play. I can really see him thriving somewhere else. Also of note...this team has zero centres in the pipeline

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
After last night and watching him awkwardly fall into the goalie when trying to cut into the net with the puck with space to stop, I said to myself is Horvat dealing with a lower body injury maybe..... That's not the same Horvat I remember, this guy has one of the strongest lower body/core and he's having a hard time stopping on a dime that's not normal for a guy who has shown that's never been a problem for him in the past, he's always been solid on his skates, especially with cutting hard to the net and avoiding contact because he's that strong.

Something is just not right, at first I thought it was frustration due to Travis Green and still losing, because he has been here for a lot of this ugly rebuild and it takes a toll on you especially when you're still losing, but since the coaching change this team has been winning but Horvats play hasn't changed. Just watching him he doesn't have that same drive in his legs and looks more tired than in the past but he's only 26 and he has shown what he is capable of doing you don't just lose that at 26, so I'm starting to lean towards him maybe having or dealing with a lower body issue that's staying hush hush right now. It would make some sense imo, because this is definitely not the same Horvat from years past at all.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If we're keeping Miller I trade him.

He's not suited to be a 3C, he's an offensive 2C.

Doesn't seem like Sweeney has any interest in doing anything of significance but Boston should be all over Horvat to play behind Bergeron.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
After last night and watching him awkwardly fall into the goalie when trying to cut into the net with the puck with space to stop, I said to myself is Horvat dealing with a lower body injury maybe..... That's not the same Horvat I remember, this guy has one of the strongest lower body/core and he's having a hard time stopping on a dime that's not normal for a guy who has shown that's never been a problem for him in the past, he's always been solid on his skates, especially with cutting hard to the net and avoiding contact because he's that strong.

Something is just not right, at first I thought it was frustration due to Travis Green and still losing, because he has been here for a lot of this ugly rebuild and it takes a toll on you especially when you're still losing, but since the coaching change this team has been winning but Horvats play hasn't changed. Just watching him he doesn't have that same drive in his legs and looks more tired than in the past but he's only 26 and he has shown what he is capable of doing you don't just lose that at 26, so I'm starting to lean towards him maybe having or dealing with a lower body issue that's staying hush hush right now. It would make some sense imo, because this is definitely not the same Horvat from years past at all.

Yeah something is definitely wrong with him. A lot of posters make it sound like hes always been trash or floating around but he used to drive offense at times with his effort.

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Depends on the returns, so I'd be cautious of trading him as I think he's a guy that brings it in the playoffs. Hard to watch him seemingly just going through the motions though, he can be more of an impact player than he has been. Kind of meh for his standards since the bubble.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If we're keeping Miller I trade him.

He's not suited to be a 3C, he's an offensive 2C.

Doesn't seem like Sweeney has any interest in doing anything of significance but Boston should be all over Horvat to play behind Bergeron.
I think Boston should be all over Hertl with an all-in offer but if they don't have enough or the Sharks aren't shopping Hertl then yeah they should make a strong offer for Horvat.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What? He was never that good of a player.

If nothing else you're consistent. Hilarious, but consistent.

You can hate the player all you want that's your right, but you can still recognize he had great seasons in 18/19 and 19/20. Not to mention a monster playoffs in the bubble.

You can admit that and nobody is going to try to take away your horvat haters club card.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory

You can hate the player all you want that's your right, but you can still recognize he had great seasons in 18/19 and 19/20. Not to mention a monster playoffs in the bubble.

You can admit that and nobody is going to try to take away your horvat haters club card.
Please dispense with the personal insults. Thanks.

Following your logic (not mine) Horvat's supposed great seasons were under Benning. So by your logic maybe its JR who is to blame?

rypper

Dec 22, 2006

Following your logic (not mine) Horvat's supposed great seasons were under Benning. So by your logic maybe its JR who is to blame?

That has nothing to do with this. You said he's never been that good of a player. I have you 3 examples where he was but you can't even acknowledge it.

Reactions: geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Weird since he doesn't exactly show the same passion on the ice as any of them, playstyle wise I don't see either. At 5v5 he's basically a one man rush type of player who tries to do his toe drag move to score.

Everybody patterns their game after a star player and certainly coming up Horvat was used as the matchup C. Heck, he's been used as a matchup C in the NHL as well.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think lost in the “The Canucks might keep Miller” noise is that the Canucks might instead trade Horvat.

The same reason that Miller is attractive to a team like NYR or COL (cost controlled for more than one playoff run) is the same reason why Horvat would be an attractive asset as well.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think lost in the “The Canucks might keep Miller” noise is that the Canucks might instead trade Horvat.

The same reason that Miller is attractive to a team like NYR or COL (cost controlled for more than one playoff run) is the same reason why Horvat would be an attractive asset as well.

At this point, Horvat should be seen as more affordable to extend as well.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021

Horvat is a mid-50s to low 60s point player. His offensive impact is largely overrated, as he's never been a line driver at ES. In fact, this is the first year in his ENTIRE career where he's had a positive CF%. In the last 6 years, his average PTS/60 is 2.1, remarkably low for someone playing his kind of minutes.

He's a very good faceoff man, but overtouted as a defensive forward. In fact, he's not especially good defensively, and has declined in that area for a few years now.

Horvat is a good top 6 player, but he's not someone that is a must to lock down long term. If his value is seen as high to other GMs, then trading Horvat is an avenue we should explore.

Inb4 the we didn't give Horvat any linemates, we had a bad team, Benning ruined him, etc. argument

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Horvat is a mid-50s to low 60s point player. His offensive impact is largely overrated, as he's never been a line driver at ES. In fact, this is the first year in his ENTIRE career where he's had a positive CF%. In the last 6 years, his average PTS/60 is 2.1, remarkably low for someone playing his kind of minutes.

He's a very good faceoff man, but overtouted as a defensive forward. In fact, he's not especially good defensively, and has declined in that area for a few years now.

Horvat is a good top 6 player, but he's not someone that is a must to lock down long term. If his value is seen as high to other GMs, then trading Horvat is an avenue we should explore.

Inb4 the we didn't give Horvat any linemates, we had a bad team, Benning ruined him, etc. argument

I'm not disputing any of that.

I just disagree with saying he's never been good. He's been good. He's been very good at times. Not this season but he's had his moments.

Reactions: geebaan

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

It’s too bad that this isn’t just an echo chamber where your opinions are lauded.

Actually, no, it’s a great thing. I’d hate to be walking on eggshells constantly because you apparently have an issue with people offering criticism.

I don’t think I’ve seen this level of vitriol leveled at a player since Naslund. It’s bizarre.

Horvat is a solid enough player who has come up big a few times. He’s nowhere near the disaster you’re making him out to be.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Only thing I trade Bo for is a under 24 top paid RHD.
Any names come to mind? Trying to wrap my head around what could make sense for not only us but another team. Prying a top pair D doesn’t happen often. Would be like a Johansen for jones type of situation.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Assuming that the Canucks won't have Petey, Miller, and Horvat down the middle long term, I think management (and us) should be discussing whether Horvat should be kept. He's worth his contract now but he's likely going to be a more expensive player under his next contract.

He plays an important role on the team. Not only is he captain but he's been the team's 2nd line C. If we're putting our eggs into Petey being the #1 C we need to examine Horvat's fit. Part of what made the 2010-2011 Canucks successful is that Henrik and Kesler's one-two punch down the middle. Petey and Horvat simply isn't in the same class.

Despite expectations, I think it's clear that he's not the next Kesler or Bergeron. What he is is an offensive 2nd line C who can win faceoffs. He's been remarkably consistent in terms of his offensive production from season to season. He was $$$ during the bubble playoffs. If the bubble playoffs is how he would perform then he's a keeper. If not, then you're getting a player who probably isn't as good as his offensive production would suggest.

It's one reason why I'm now on board with extending Miller (if he we don't have to give him a 7-8 year contract at $7.5M+) and trading Horvat instead. Horvat is a good player but he's not an impact player. Miller is an impact player. Problem is Miller is older and is going to be more expensive to extend.

Horvat has been a good player for the Canucks. There is a ton of value in a player like him. He's just not great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad