Pre-Game Talk: Are you a nervous Flyer?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Yeah. Should be a decent test. But Flyers have some puck luck so far. I don't think a 16% shooting percentage is very sustainable and sometimes that club has trouble scoring. Also with their PP they're knocking it out of the park thus far but of the two the Oilers have a league best PP, and Flyers likely to fall off a lot in that regard.

Overall I find it would be hard to be a fan of the Flyers. A team chronically just good enough to be in playoffs and get absolutely nothing done once they are there. They have absolutely no upside in that lineup. Its never going to be enough.
I tend to agree with this. They are a bit over rated since the finished first over all two years ago. I do like their goaltender and I think their defense is pretty solid is it not? I think with a solid defense and a hot goalie any team can make noise come playoff time, but they are certainly nobody’s hot take to go to the Cup

Granted, with that said. The Oilers until recently haven’t been anyone’s hot take to make noise in the playoffs either lol. Last years sweep is still not sitting well with me.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
He got caved in on playoffs. We can trade a player but do we know what he will do in the future. Who would you rather have now? Bear in Oilers unis or Bouchard healthy scratched and our 3rd line getting caved in?

Having a quality 3rd line that doesn’t literally void any benefit of having f***ing Connor McDavid (scoring 5v5 differential) is worth a (his role for us) 2nd pairing D-man any day of the week. A good 2nd pair <3rd Line that will defend and hold back other teams from scoring

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I tend to agree with this. They are a bit over rated since the finished first over all two years ago. I do like their goaltender and I think their defense is pretty solid is it not? I think with a solid defense and a hot goalie any team can make noise come playoff time, but they are certainly nobody’s hot take to go to the Cup

Granted, with that said. The Oilers until recently haven’t been anyone’s hot take to make noise in the playoffs either lol. Last years sweep is still not sitting well with me.

The Oilers loss, to me was predicated on lack of depth contributing. Get virtually any bottomsix or D goals and the series is much different. jets were getting goals off point shots and from entire lineup. With Bouch, Ceci, Keith, Nurse, Barrie we're sure to get some D contributions and we now have a legit 3rd line AND we have an even better PP and first line with Hyman on it. Put this team against the Jets and I don't think we would lose. But anything can happen.

I just feel like the Oilers have upside potential, yes, unrealized. But the Flyers are a vet filled club that has done nothing. Their bread and butter players are getting old.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Having a quality 3rd line that doesn’t literally void any benefit of having f***ing Connor McDavid (scoring 5v5 differential) is worth a (his role for us) 2nd pairing D-man any day of the week. A good 2nd pair <3rd Line that will defend and hold back other teams from scoring
U think Bear is a quality 2nd pairing?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This will be a big test for this team. Flyers like to shoot from the D and we like to give up all the shots from the D, they are very potent offensively this year and we seem to be fine giving up 40 shots a night. Koskinen will have to be very sharp on distance shots tomorrow. I expect us to score at least 4, but I think there is a real possibility we get lit up. They are the kind of team our defensive deployment is not good against.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
They r looking for a GM now. Bowman stepped down. Sounds like the story in the offseason could get bad

It was a matter of time, using that reason (a very very good reason) in the middle of a shit storm on ice takes some of the heat from losing off of the players and coach.

The question I have about it is; did the Wirtz family know about this?

Edit: it was dumb to wait til now though, they could have done it in the offseason to save the team from panic move damage via Bowman

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It was a matter of time, using that reason (a very very good reason) in the middle of a shit storm on ice takes some of the heat from losing off of the players and coach.

Edit: it was dumb to wait til now though, they could have done it in the offseason to save the team from panic move damage via Bowman

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I would love to see the Oilers improve in their D zone coverage. When I look at high danger chances against, they are actually middle of the pack. They are dead last in allowing he most shots on net.

Meets the eye test. They basically spend too much time in their zone, keep the opposition to the outside, but do not give up high quality chances that often.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Gonna be a shit storm of Lahey and Randy Boobanndy proportion
F6F66BAB-B260-4BC4-BCCC-7B04C95B8E08.jpeg

Reactions: Oilhawks

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Bear is physically weak. I wouldn't call him mentally resilient. Soon as he gets tested with a strong forecheck from some heavy players or receives a big hit he'll drop off a cliff.

He would fold against this year's version of the Flames.

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I will honestly never understand the ex-oilers slander this fanbase loves to dish out

Hall
Bear
Jones
Talbot
Strome
Benning
Larsson (not as much but still there)
Eberle
... list probably goes on

funny thing is, most of them are having good success elsewhere yet we'll keep talking shit about what they were or weren't

Reactions: The Safe Play

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I will honestly never understand the ex-oilers slander this fanbase loves to dish out

Hall
Bear
Jones
Talbot
Strome
Benning
Eberle

funny thing is, most of them are having good success elsewhere yet we'll keep talking shit about what they were or weren't
I will never understand posters who can't stand criticism of former Oiler players playing for new teams. You should only critique players on the current roster? Not a chance.

Grow a set.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Hall
Bear
Jones
Talbot
Strome
Benning
Eberle

Lol none of these players get much slander at all. I mean the odd poster. You rag on our current players… how is that any better?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Bear is physically weak. I wouldn't call him mentally resilient. Soon as he gets tested with a strong forecheck from some heavy players or receives a big hit he'll drop off a cliff.

He would fold against this year's version of the Flames.
Some people are on here still saying we made a mistake giving him up. People, use your head and not your heart. This team is better with Foegele then Bear. Does Bear make Kassian play better? No. Bouchard? No. Bouchard is a better dman then Bear.

Reactions: Duke74

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I will never understand posters who can't stand criticism of former Oiler players playing for new teams. You should only critique players on the current roster? Not a chance.

Grow a set.
trust me I do both. I'm sure you know

critique is not slander, the amount of false narratives created about Bear recently makes my head shake. 365 days ago, he was a staple in our top 4 and now he's a nobody who doesn't even know how to skate apparently. From what I've heard and seen, he's doing great with Slavin and arguably in a tougher division

Reactions: Czechboy

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Hall
Bear
Jones
Talbot
Strome
Benning
Eberle

I don’t see that all. Are u looking for it? There hasn’t been much bitching because we are 5-0. Everything is beautiful in Oilerville now .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad