Pre-Game Talk: Are you a nervous Flyer?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Not sure i'd go that far. Bear is certainly playing well there and has even more upside as he develops. He took a while in junior to become what he was. Maybe one day after alot of work we will start to see that sort of intermediate slap/snap shot he had from the top of circles in Seattle.
Foegele has come in and provided energy, cycle, wins puck battles alot down deep. Imagine if this guy really had some hands--seems to only be able to shot from 10 to 12 feet out.

Fair enough. I can zoom out enough that not everyone sees Bear the same way.

And like I said I love Foegele and what he has brought to our third line. I just wouldnt all the trade an "easy win" considering how he is playing so far.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For people to say that Bear is gonna be a #1 pairing dman, they are thinking with their heart on not their brains. Carolina has very deep defence. Of course Bear will look good there. Foegele has come in , and made other players around him play better. Did Bear do that?

Also that Carolina are a hard working club that play the game responsibly. They're looking to outwork the other club and have puck support and levels of D. Lacking superstars they have to play the game the best way they can. I still don't see Bear as a good option for them. Even with puck support, Bear will make some costly and inexplicable decisions at times. When Bear gets rattled in games you can't even give him minutes. Initially Bear has some possible offensive upside but that completely dried up.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Bear looked good initially here too. Until he started taking it for granted. He seems to be a player that makes most commitment early, and then thinks he's made it. My take on D is if they're small they better be elite skill wise or with decisions and Bear certainly isn't.

Fair enough. My point was more that we don't need to downplay Bear to compliment Foegele.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it’s going to be a very close game.

Yeah. Should be a decent test. But Flyers have some puck luck so far. I don't think a 16% shooting percentage is very sustainable and sometimes that club has trouble scoring. Also with their PP they're knocking it out of the park thus far but of the two the Oilers have a league best PP, and Flyers likely to fall off a lot in that regard.

Overall I find it would be hard to be a fan of the Flyers. A team chronically just good enough to be in playoffs and get absolutely nothing done once they are there. They have absolutely no upside in that lineup. Its never going to be enough.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I do have a feeling we will lose this game. The 5 day break is a lot of time off between games. I also fear the loss will bring the critics out and we will see a rash of anti everything posts and maybe even the fire holland gets bumped. I'd hate see that though so...
Oil: 3
Flyers:1

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
How is it still not game day?

upload_2021-10-26_9-33-41.png

Reactions: Oilhawks

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
One nice thing about that compressed season is that the games were coming at you rapid fire.

This pace seems glacial though I'm guessing it is MUCH better for the players.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Exa
Also that Carolina are a hard working club that play the game responsibly. They're looking to outwork the other club and have puck support and levels of D. Lacking superstars they have to play the game the best way they can. I still don't see Bear as a good option for them. Even with puck support, Bear will make some costly and inexplicable decisions at times. When Bear gets rattled in games you can't even give him minutes. Initially Bear has some possible offensive upside but that completely dried up.[/QUOT
Exactly
That is why I laughed at people when they were all pissy about the trade. For the Debbie Downers to say we traded away a future #1 pairing Dman shows they don’t have a clue. That was the same thinking when Oiler management made that stupid trade with Isles for Reinhart. That trade still makes me mad. Do u think Kenny Holland would do that trade? NAFC

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Read till page 3. Very entertaining. :thumbu:
I’m actually gonna tune a few sports writers from Toronto right now. I got sick of them saying
“ Free McDavid, he wants to play in Toronto, Edmonton is a complete embarrassment, bla bla bla. “
KARMA IS A BITCH TORONTO

Reactions: Oilhawks

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
You can bet that goals against have been a hot topic of conversation for Oilers management the last couple of days though.
Oh for sure. I can't do anything about it though so I'll just have to hope that they'll figure it out in the near future. Lots of new players playing in a new system.

If it's still an issue in 30 games I'll be more concerned, they also aren't giving up a ton of HQ scoring chances. Lost of outside shots.

But yeah, if it continues I'll start getting worried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad