Pre-Game Talk: Are you a nervous Flyer?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I will honestly never understand the ex-oilers slander this fanbase loves to dish out

Hall
Bear
Jones
Talbot
Strome
Benning
Larsson (not as much but still there)
Eberle
... list probably goes on

funny thing is, most of them are having good success elsewhere yet we'll keep talking shit about what they were or weren't

Weird choices. Most of these guys are still well regarded overall except maybe Hall. Gone are the days of slandering Comrie and such.

Hall - I can see the comment as some just really hate him.
Bear - I see just as many fanboys as those who didn't like him. Most recognize it as a good hockey trade where both teams got players that will help their teams.
Jones - Hasn't even played a game yet. Most of the venom on this trade is the lack of retention on Keith, which has nothing to do with Jones.
Talbot - I don't think I've ever heard a negative word, and the dude even played in Calgary where that should have been automatic.
Strome - The only thing I hear is how bad the Oilers got jobbed on that trade, where's Spooner today?
Benning - Mostly irrelevence. Haven't heard word of him since he left.
Larsson - Still pretty recent.
Eberle - All I ever hear negative about him is that he was no longer a fit for Edmonton and too soft to bring what they needed. Which is generally true, but it sucked they did nothing to replace him nor did they become less "soft" for several years.

Reactions: ujju2

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Lol none of these players get much slander at all. I mean the odd poster. You rag on our current players… how is that any better?
not recently but trust me, its a common reoccurring theme when players are traded. I especially remember Hall, Eberle, Strome trades where these guys got talked about like they were AHL plugs instead of top 6 wingers.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
trust me I do both. I'm sure you know

critique is not slander, the amount of false narratives created about Bear recently makes my head shake. 365 days ago, he was a staple in our top 4 and now he's a nobody who doesn't even know how to skate apparently. From what I've heard and seen, he's doing great with Slavin and arguably in a tougher division
OMG the slander has my tears flowing. I don't give a shit.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Weird choices. Most of these guys are still well regarded overall except maybe Hall. Gone are the days of slandering Comrie and such.

Hall - I can see the comment as some just really hate him.
Bear - I see just as many fanboys as those who didn't like him. Most recognize it as a good hockey trade where both teams got players that will help their teams.
Jones - Hasn't even played a game yet. Most of the venom on this trade is the lack of retention on Keith, which has nothing to do with Jones.
Talbot - I don't think I've ever heard a negative word, and the dude even played in Calgary where that should have been automatic.
Strome - The only thing I hear is how bad the Oilers got jobbed on that trade, where's Spooner today?
Benning - Mostly irrelevence. Haven't heard word of him since he left.
Larsson - Still pretty recent.
Eberle - All I ever hear negative about him is that he was no longer a fit for Edmonton and too soft to bring what they needed. Which is generally true, but it sucked they did nothing to replace him nor did they become less "soft" for several years.
I'm not talking about recently, I meant after they were shipped out.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
Is it Wednesday yet?

wednesday-addams-wednesday.gif

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I hope Benson goes to another team. He had a good game against Vegas showing more then what Turris and Perlini have shown the last 4 games. It's clear that Tippett likes going with players he's comfortable with.
Or just let him play and let him move his way up the line up eventually?

Reactions: RavenGuard

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lol none of these players get much slander at all. I mean the odd poster. You rag on our current players… how is that any better?

Some posters seem to think that if you’re not pining for an Ex Oiler like an ex high school sweetheart, you hate the player and wish them nothing but failure.

I do find it weird how so many here seem to value to name on the back of the jersey more than the logo on the front.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Or just let him play and let him move his way up the line up eventually?
The opportunity for his type of game and the type of linemates he will need is extremely unlikely to occur in Edmonton.
He either has to dramaticlly change his game to 4th liner and/or defensive structure type duties or he needs to get traded/moved out to a place with players that he needs further down the line up (not so top heavy as we are).
Likely best for the player and team.

Last edited:

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Some posters seem to think that if you’re not pining for an Ex Oiler like an ex high school sweetheart, you hate the player and wish them nothing but failure.

I do find it weird how so many here seem to value to name on the back of the jersey more than the logo on the front.
I find it strange you don't develop some/more attachment to the player inside the Jersey and can just turn it off when they are no longer part of the team.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
not recently but trust me, its a common reoccurring theme when players are traded. I especially remember Hall, Eberle, Strome trades where these guys got talked about like they were AHL plugs instead of top 6 wingers.
I remember reading here we should trade eberle for kyle clifford. even throw in a pick if needed. LOL

the issue with bear is people have dug in on either side. bear isnt a top pairing d man and he isnt a bum either. the oilers traded ag ood young player from a position of strength for another young player from an area of need. The cost to replace bears minutes (ignoring Bouchard is going to take all + of them) was ~3M for cody Ceci. To get a player like Foegele for the 3rd line we are looking at blake coleman type numbers. it doesnt make sense

Reactions: bone

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I find it strange you don't develop some/more attachment to the player inside the Jersey and can just turn it off when they are no longer part of the team.

I know we’ve butted heads on this before, I’ll clarify that I do develop some attachment to ex players (you may not have seen my rooting for Eberle on the Islanders these past playoffs, though I also have a soft spot for the Isles).

Definitely don’t feel as strongly about them as when they play for the team I primarily root for but don’t mind seeing them do well (not at the expense of the Oilers).

I was both glad to see Bear have a good game last night (that primary assist was particular gold that we would see here), but also glad that we have a good player in Foegele in return. My favourite trades are of those kind, player for player, a need on both sides that seems to work for both sides.

Reactions: Faelko

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I've had the chance to see Bear a couple of times this season, and will be seeing him again on Thursday. So far he's got 2 assists in 5 games and is +4.

Last night was basically a microcosm game for Bear. He had a great assist on the game-tying goal by Aho and did some solid stuff in the offensive zone, but he also got turnstiled by Matthews on the Leafs' only goal.

Add to that that Bear is also playing with Slavin, who's Carolina's best defensive defenseman. I'm curious to see how he'll fare against a tougher opponent in Boston on Thursday.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I remember reading here we should trade eberle for kyle clifford. even throw in a pick if needed. LOL

the issue with bear is people have dug in on either side. bear isnt a top pairing d man and he isnt a bum either. the oilers traded ag ood young player from a position of strength for another young player from an area of need. The cost to replace bears minutes (ignoring Bouchard is going to take all + of them) was ~3M for cody Ceci. To get a player like Foegele for the 3rd line we are looking at blake coleman type numbers. it doesnt make sense

Bear is a good complimentary Dman if he has a good partner but once teams actually key in on him like they did in the past 2 playoffs then he became the weak link. Hopefully in time he learns to deal with the added pressure of playoff hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad