Pre-Game Talk: Are you a nervous Flyer?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Bear is a good complimentary Dman if he has a good partner but once teams actually key in on him like they did in the past 2 playoffs then he became the weak link. Hopefully in time he learns to deal with the added pressure of playoff hockey.
i completely agree, his inability to clear the front of the net (russell and jones as well) cost us vs chicago in the play-in and it cost us vs the jets with terrible giveaways when under pressure

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
There is no way you’re a Hawks fan…

Definitely not wearing any of my Hawks stuff anytime soon. :shakehead

Horrifying stuff that has come to light aside, I was blessed to be able to go from my focus on the Hawks last Cup and subsequent slide into mediocrity to renewed vigour with the McDavid draft.

Oilers have been my first team since I was a kid, but I got caught up in excitement after Toews and Kane were drafted and Hawks became my second team. It certainly made 2010-2015 a lot more enjoyable for watching hockey, given the alternative.

Hawks are now year 4 in a decade of darkness (covid qualifiers aside) that will eclipse the one the Oilers exited a couple of seasons ago

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Definitely not wearing any of my Hawks stuff anytime soon. :shakehead

Horrifying stuff that has come to light aside, I was blessed to be able to go from my focus on the Hawks last Cup and subsequent slide into mediocrity to renewed vigour with the McDavid draft.

Oilers have been my first team since I was a kid, but I got caught up in excitement after Toews and Kane were drafted and Hawks became my second team. It certainly made 2010-2015 a lot more enjoyable for watching hockey, given the alternative.

Hawks are now year 4 in a decade of darkness (covid qualifiers aside) that will eclipse the one the Oilers exited a couple of seasons ago
I can't believe you're a dual fan as well. :nono:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The Oilers loss, to me was predicated on lack of depth contributing. Get virtually any bottomsix or D goals and the series is much different. jets were getting goals off point shots and from entire lineup. With Bouch, Ceci, Keith, Nurse, Barrie we're sure to get some D contributions and we now have a legit 3rd line AND we have an even better PP and first line with Hyman on it. Put this team against the Jets and I don't think we would lose. But anything can happen.

I just feel like the Oilers have upside potential, yes, unrealized. But the Flyers are a vet filled club that has done nothing. Their bread and butter players are getting old.
Alright. I’ll get behind this !

What would be a disappointing season to you for us? I hope we can at least make second round of playoffs and make it a good series.

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
I thought it was just one of those oddities...
FWIW, background on me:

Dad was always a flyers fan. Got my first flyers jersey when I was 2. They've always been my favorite.

But growing up living in SK, I had family in Edmonton so I'd go to Oilers games. I grew to really like the Oilers. As a kid growing up, I loved Larocque (sp) lol.

Flyers will always be #1 no matter what, and Oilers will always be #2 no matter what. I just really enjoy both teams lol. I'm a bigger Oilers fan than a lot of #1 Oilers fans which I understand is weird lol. But hockey is life. :laugh:

Reactions: Cloned and Oilhawks

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Don't you think Holland could have gotten more if Carolina is playing him top pairing minutes tho? I mean Foegele is fine but Holland should have known that they were desperate for a dman after Hamilton left. I think we could have gotten at least a 2nd or 3rd round pick along with Foegele.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Don't you think Holland could have gotten more if Carolina is playing him top pairing minutes tho? I mean Foegele is fine but Holland should have known that they were desperate for a dman after Hamilton left. I think we could have gotten at least a 2nd or 3rd round pick along with Foegele.
Bear was trash ala Koskinen on these boards when he was traded. Should we expect a 1st if a team adds him to be their starter?

Having said that I do agree that there were plenty of free agent wingers available so this swap wasn't really needed.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Seriously? You think Bear was worth a top nine forward and a second or third round pick? This seems a little far fetched. Bear has had a very good start by all accounts but let’s wait more than 6 games before making claims like he’s a top pairing d man. Also remember Slavin is very good at covering for his partners deficiency.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad