Are we sleeping on Ozhiganov?

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I'm guessing he'll be back in Russia by the new year so I'm not even gonna bother trying to figure out how to pronounce that name.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
The linked article sounds more like speculation than anything provided by the Leafs management in regards to Ozhi or Lindholm stepping right in.
Best I could find Koshan seems reliable enough. Management wants to encourage competition so it's not like they are going to come out and say Ozhi has the inside track for the job and deflate all the others.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Read a nice little article on Sportsnet. I think he has as much upside as Zaitsev does and if he's a younger Polak with a better shot, I'm ok with him as our #6 if he can stick.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Really could see babcock giving the nod to Ozhiganov over Holl due to babs love of bottom pairing defenceman with a mean streak. Im expecting Babs to have Oz playing alongside Dermott on that bottom pairing.

Last edited:

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Really could see babcock giving the nod to Ozhiganov over Holl due to babs love of bottom pairing defenceman with a mean streak. Im expecting Babs to have Oz playing alongside Dermott on that bottom pairing.

If he comes as advertised that 3 pairing could be one of the better ones in the league.

Reactions: saltming

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I think rosen looked absolutely dynamic in the finals of the calder cup .
u gotta think he can play in the NHL somewhere
i agree, he was great once he got used to the smaller ice surface, Keefe said he was the Marlies best defenseman over the season. The games I seen him play live, he was the best player on the ice every game. Very noticeable in a good way.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Me too, he had a couple of Bobby Orr type rushes from one end to the other that really made him look like a man playing in a boys league. He may be too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL.
I think he is good enough for the NHL. The reason most defensemen are too good for the AHL and not good enough for the NHL is their skating. Rosen’s skating is very very good.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Ozhiganov
Rosén Carrick
Borgman

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He got effectively buried last season (7th/8th on the depth chart). If that decline in use wasn't based on merit but in retaliation for the promise to sign with the Leafs, he could be a huge surprise.

In some weird way I almost don't want it to work out this way because it would mean that some of the old ways hadn't died off. It is however an organization that is a vestige of the Red Army organization that used to do this type of stuff routinely: it would just take the best talent from other teams and hoard other good talent in its depth chart.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He got effectively buried last season (7th/8th on the depth chart). If that decline in use wasn't based on merit but in retaliation for the promise to sign with the Leafs, he could be a huge surprise.
It was due to merit though. He got outcompeted for his job, by guys who couldn't cut it here.

The idea that it is some retaliation comes only from sources who have no clue about anything KHL-related.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't think we are, no. The chances that Ozighanov is going to really move the needle for the Leafs defence seem pretty low. I think the team is throwing everything at the wall to try and improve the defence. If he can improve on what we've been getting out of the third pairing in recent years that will be victory enough.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I would be willing to bet Babcock sees him as a much better player than most here.
I think he is the favourite for the 3rd pair RHD slot, and Carrick unless he is dealt will be the 7th D.
Something seems to have to give with all the bottom pair D we possess. Maybe a trade during camp/preseason.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think he'll start the year as the bottom pairing RHD.

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozighanov

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Even Brian Burke couldn't refuse a "free wallet" even if it was empty most of the time. ;)

No idea what to expect here as tooooooo many factors involved with language, culture, ice surface and style of game etc etc to comfortably predict his impact on the Leafs.

He does however add many components to a Leafs lineup that is in very short supply with his size, physicality to play a heavy game and his booming RHD point shot that might rival one similar to Shea Weber in velocity. His skating will be testing in a NHL built on speed and he will rack up the Pims trying to defend faster skilled players so there would be an added stress on Leafs PKers to offset what he might bring.

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Low odds of happening, but what a blessing if Ozhi and Rosen are legit for next year....you know, like, knock it out of the park legit in camp, absolutely kill it.

New bottom pairing. Two way puck mover, big rugged guy with a big shot.

Dermott is cerebral enough to play with Zaitsev as a pretty intriguing second pairing. Keep Zaits healthy, and TD plays complimentary to him.

Leaving Reilly on the top pair.

Gardiner, Hainsey and Carrick as chips.

Odds right low, barely conceivable.... but, nifty thought.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He's intriguing, biggish and looks like he plays with a bit of an edge, while possessing a hard fast shot. Some skill too. Dream scenario is he becomes a Yuskevich/Mironov hybrid. Chances are though, he is just another import that can't adjust to North America. At 26 you can't really wait much longer on him, so he could be another Aaltenen who bolts back to Europe if he doesn't make the big squad out of camp.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's intriguing, biggish and looks like he plays with a bit of an edge, while possessing a hard fast shot. Some skill too. Dream scenario is he becomes a Yuskevich/Mironov hybrid. Chances are though, he is just another import that can't adjust to North America. At 26 you can't really wait much longer on him, so he could be another Aaltenen who bolts back to Europe if he doesn't make the big squad out of camp.
I think 26 as a defenseman is still young enough.
One thing I think is that he may suit the small ice better as he likes to be aggressive. I really hopes he pans out for us

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Replacing Roman Polak's role on the Leafs is the intended goal here as the baseline for this signing, with a younger Euro player of similar ilk.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Interesting to note that he's merely 8 months younger than Holl and Marincin. I think we'll have to temper our enthusiasm when he instantly looks polished from day 1 (which he will). Holl and Marincin will also look polished in pre-season hockey.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

To me it will come down to who can PK the best. Right now we have Hainsey Zaitsev locked in. Other two spots up for grabs. Would make sense to have two 3rd pair guys play as they don't get used as much 5 on 5.
It also keeps 2 lefties and 2 righties

Reactions: jaric1862

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Heres what i think will happen now after thinking about this a bit. Leivo will get traded for a pick, Grundstrom will get sent down and Ennis will be the the 4th line left wing. The leafs will only carry 13 forwards for the beginning of the year. Holl and Ozhiganov will battle it out for the 6th Dman spot, by alternating games (like borgman and rosen did this year). This will happen for about 8-10 games or so. Whoever impresses Babcock the most in their games will get that 6th dman spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad