Are we sleeping on Ozhiganov?

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
I've noticed posters tend to not include him in their lineups. I know he fell in point production in KHL this year, is that the reason? Did they use him the way they did prior to this season or did they limit him knowing he was going to the NHL? Guess I just have the feeling he was signed to make the lineup from the start.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I just don't think many have actually seen him play enough to forecast him one way or the other. Looking forward to seeing him in camp, I'm sure he'll be in that group battling for the 6th/7th spots with Carrick, Rosen, Borgman, Holl, etc.

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
I just don't think many have actually seen him play enough to forecast him one way or the other. Looking forward to seeing him in camp, I'm sure he'll be in that group battling for the 6th/7th spots with Carrick, Rosen, Borgman, Holl, etc.

I just think there should be more excitement. I mean, there is a chance he is a really decent right-handed defender, and that would mean the world for this team.

Reactions: iSophagus

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think rosen looked absolutely dynamic in the finals of the calder cup .
u gotta think he can play in the NHL somewhere

Reactions: ToMaLe

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

I'm getting the same impression, he's not being discussed at all it seems and he checks off so many boxes when you consider he's a RHD, he's pretty big (6'2, 200+), he's pretty mobile, he's got a bomb of a slap shot, and he's not afraid to lay the body.

I've only seen highlights like the one above and a couple others but it looks like he's exactly what we've all been pining for.

Reilly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

Next year Gardiner can be replaced by Borgman or Rosen.

The following year Hainsey can be replaced by Liljgren.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

I think he's probably the guy that wins that spot. He looked great in camp last year, won a spot on the roster and then had a rough go of it for a couple months when he was demoted. After Dermott got called up to the Leafs he was probably the Marlies best defenseman.

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017

I'm getting the same impression, he's not being discussed at all it seems and he checks off so many boxes when you consider he's a RHD, he's pretty big (6'2, 200+), he's pretty mobile, he's got a bomb of a slap shot, and he's not afraid to lay the body.

I've only seen highlights like the one above and a couple others but it looks like he's exactly what we've all been pining for.

Reilly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

Happy to see that someone else think we might be on to something here. I might be wrong, but I think Ozhiganov really has the potential to improve our D this season.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Reilly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Carrick

I think zaitsev and oshi get a shot together in training camp.
the leafs hardly ever screw up bringing in players under shanahan ,
zaitsev had a down year ,but he played well enuff his first year to warrant 4 mill a year .
don't forget we put up with jake gardner game 7 follies twice in his career here .

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
KHL scratch to NHL regular would be a pretty dramatic improvement over a summer.

I heard talks about that they didn't use him the same because he was going to NHL and they are so deep on defence they could afford it. If this is the case his point total this year would be explained too. I mean, he was one of the best defenders in KHL prior.

Do we have any Russian in here that could provide us with some information maybe?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The Leafs found out they are deep at LD moving forward (Rielly Dermott Rosen Borgman Sandin) because they gave Rielly tough minutes/situations and played the prospects in the NHL last year.

Why shouldn't they do the same thing on RD. Continue to play Zaitsev in tough situations/minutes and let a couple of kids play the right side this year (Holl Carrick Ozhiganov Liljegren). It is the best way to get a good cap friendly d-core.

This is the best year to shelter/develop some RD with their stacked forwards and stacked LD.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
People say he wasn't used because he was going to the NHL - but if you check their team they brought in some new defense and they were better than him, plain and simple.

He's another Zaitzev, only worse - and we are all clamoring to get rid of the Zaitzev contract.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Magic16Mitch

Oct 15, 2017
People say he wasn't used because he was going to the NHL - but if you check their team they brought in some new defense and they were better than him, plain and simple.

He's another Zaitzev, only worse - and we are all clamoring to get rid of the Zaitzev contract.

I don't think it's time to ship Zaitsev yet. We have a lot to gain should he performe like he did the first year.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it's time to ship Zaitsev yet. We have a lot to gain should he performe like he did the first year.

I agree. His rookie year offensively was decent. Just needs to be much better defensively.

Which is kind of the issue - our best defenseman at playing defense is Hainsey. Rielly is not good at it, Gardiner sucks, Dermott is a rookie, Ozhiganov is an unknown.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I've noticed posters tend to not include him in their lineups. I know he fell in point production in KHL this year, is that the reason? Did they use him the way they did prior to this season or did they limit him knowing he was going to the NHL? Guess I just have the feeling he was signed to make the lineup from the start.
I think people are leaving him off rosters because there's no reason to believe he's an NHL calibre defender.

Reactions: IPS and iSophagus

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Me too, he had a couple of Bobby Orr type rushes from one end to the other that really made him look like a man playing in a boys league. He may be too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

How many KHL games of his have you actually watched?

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
When I saw him play he was pretty mobile for such a big guy. Good skating skills. He played PP, PK and during the last 10 mins of game while chasing a lead he played every other shift along side Nesterov.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think I have ever really pencilled in a Euro UFA except for Zaitsev. They don't always click. That is why I want the team to grab another 4C because if Lindholm doesn't work that's another 2nd rounder out the door at the deadline I am sure

Reactions: TheOtherSide

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not really. He didn't have a great KHL year and was a healthy scratch many times. And people can toss it up to the team punishing him for leaving but that's a bunch of malarkey to me.

He does have an interesting skillset but I'd be surprised if he was as good as Zaitsev (who himself as struggled a lot in the NHL).

We'll see.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I wouldn't expect him to make the team. Everyone was saying the same thing about Rosen and Borgman. I would give him some time to adjust to the North American game first, the improvement in both Rosen and Borgman was very evident after spending some time with the Marlies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Personally I'm very high on him. 2 years ago I was hoping we would go after him and we did! But I have to see how he adjust to the smaller ice before I count him in to our lineup. I'm hoping he is a quick fit and maybe Borgman too. That could be a good bottom pair to start the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad