Are we sleeping on Ozhiganov?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Something happened last season looking at the stats. TOI went down from roughly 18 to 14, along with offensive production, but something more subtle was his hit count, went from 50 to 10. Was he injured? punished? Or was it just a bad season for him.? Lost desire? If so that's a red flag, you want someone giving 100% even if they are benched or know they are leaving next season. We will see soon enough, I am hopefull he fills out that right side because his size and shot, but any one of Rosen, Borgman or Holl will give it a good run too.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I just don't think many have actually seen him play enough to forecast him one way or the other. Looking forward to seeing him in camp, I'm sure he'll be in that group battling for the 6th/7th spots with Carrick, Rosen, Borgman, Holl, etc.

I agree completely, most people here (myself included) just don't know enough about Ozhiganov to put him anywhere in the lineup. But it makes sense that he's in the group with the 4 you mentioned.

Personally, I have very little faith that any of those 4 will be more than a #7 replacement level defender for us. I'm really hoping there's an addition coming to the blueline that will push them down the depth chart and off the NHL roster. Whether it's Ozhiganov or a trade, I don't care.

The top 4 D group is already pretty weak. We can't afford to have a 3rd pairing made of guys who might not even be NHL quality.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think zaitsev and oshi get a shot together in training camp.
the leafs hardly ever screw up bringing in players under shanahan ,
zaitsev had a down year ,but he played well enuff his first year to warrant 4 mill a year .
don't forget we put up with jake gardner game 7 follies twice in his career here .
Pairing 2 Right-Handed Defenceman when we are already thin on the right side? Highly unlikely I'd have to think

Reactions: supermann_98

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Not really. He didn't have a great KHL year and was a healthy scratch many times. And people can toss it up to the team punishing him for leaving but that's a bunch of malarkey to me.

He does have an interesting skillset but I'd be surprised if he was as good as Zaitsev (who himself as struggled a lot in the NHL).

We'll see.
It is. Nobody with any insight in KHL is saying this. They added more d-men and Ozhi lost out against the competition, including Marchenko who couldn't get a spot here. Zaitsev would have been the best d-man on the same roster.

Reactions: Gallagbi

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
With Tavares, people forget about him. He could be a sleeper. We'll see.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You have no idea what your getting when you sign 25-26 year old previously undrafted players ..

Could be something or it could be nothing.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I’d love to pry Tryamkin out of VAN and convince him to come over. He’s a gargantuan octopus.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
The sooner the better in terms of getting these young guys in and shipping the older guys out. Gardiner and Hainsey can both go immediately as far as I'm concerned.

Rielly - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
Rosen - Ozhiganov/Holl
Borgman

That should be the D as of right now. Let them have their growing pains it will be worth it in the end.

Reactions: Cobra777

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If no other changes to the defense are made this summer, I think we'll see:

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov

Hainsey would have to be upgraded at some point, because I don't see him being able to play top pairing minutes all season. Fingers crossed that Zaitsev will play well this coming season. He's a real key to the Leafs having a solid defense.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I know the production isn't there to back it up, but I like his KHL highlight reel better than Zaitsev's, looks like he has great hands

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Nah, people are paying him the appropriate amount of attention. Lottery ticket you can't necessarily count on, but will be happy if he becomes found money.

People are really sleeping on a 24 year old Carrick and a 22 year old Dermott, and what they will bring this season.

Reactions: SprDaVE

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ignorance.

Without NHL data to analyze we are ignorant to know what NHL data he will generate.

Doesn't really matter, Babcock plays who he wants, regardless of whether we think Polak was a good 3rd. pairing defender or not, he played over others that the masses here thought were better.

Bliss!

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I've watched 2 of his games (I know, small sample). I saw all the things that are reportedly good about him displayed: skating, good rushes, physical. One thing I noticed is that he can connect on passes, but waits too long to make them or doesn't make the correct play.

If he translates well, we have a better Polak imo. Not as much of a physical specimen, but a more skilled defender.
As long as he can move the puck, his physical presence probably earns him a spot over Carrick and Holl.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
He seems like a solid #6 defenseman, can kill penalties and has a great shot. The issue seems to be his mean streak. After reading all I can about him, his coaches really wanted him to dial it back as he likes to hit everything. His penalty minute totals have decreased since junior, but were still high for a defenseman as of 16-17. He really scaled it back this past season, but his ice time dropped in favour of more skilled players. Not that he isn't skilled, but it seems that the players who took his minutes were better at generating offense. Team was going for puck movers as opposed to stay at home types. When he generated offense in the past, he would take himself out of position to do so and if he got caught, he'd take a penalty. Coaches got tired of that and wanted him to play a safe game. When he does, he's a match up defenseman who is big, strong and nasty. I have a feeling that Babcock will ensure that he sticks to the safe game and not try to go for offense as much. Feel free to blast from the point, but keep to your defensive game. Lot's of teams wanted him, and Kucherov really wanted the Lightning to get him. Could he be more than a #6? Maybe, in the mold of a Josh Manson.

Reactions: saltming

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I’ve learned from these sorts of UFA’s that they’re a crapshoot if they can even be regular NHLers ... no offense to Oz I just want to see him in action in the NHL before making a call on his potential.

Tough to count on him at the present time.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Well we can't have Zaitsev pair with Reilly or Gardiner again. The lack of defensive awareness is horrible. Reilly - Zaitsev was a disaster. With Gardiner it wasnt much better. In my view they all need a defesively aware guy to save them...

Reilly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner- Carrick/Holl/Oz

Is probably how i see it. Not a very impressive defence as of right now. Itll be a couple of years til we can start sprinkling people, hopefully Oz is decent enough to take the #3 right side spot...no chance hed be good enough to take hainseys

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Well we can't have Zaitsev pair with Reilly or Gardiner again. The lack of defensive awareness is horrible. Reilly - Zaitsev was a disaster. With Gardiner it wasnt much better. In my view they all need a defesively aware guy to save them...

Reilly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner- Carrick/Holl/Oz

Is probably how i see it. Not a very impressive defence as of right now. Itll be a couple of years til we can start sprinkling people, hopefully Oz is decent enough to take the #3 right side spot...no chance hed be good enough to take hainseys
There is no chance if Gardiner is on the team next year that Dermott plays above him. Just isn't going to happen.

Gardiner goes from leading the team in ES ATOI to a third pairing defender? Lol...

Edit: one of the problems is Zaitsev makes it very very hard on his partners with his poor positioning and not making himself open for passes to take pressure off.

Reactions: Keon1963

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
There is no chance if Gardiner is on the team next year that Dermott plays above him. Just isn't going to happen.

It can be switched around, my point is just to separate the 3 of Zaitsev, Gardiner and Reilly. Whether Dermott - Zaitsev is 3rd or 2nd pairing doesnt matter much to me

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It can be switched around, my point is just to separate the 3 of Zaitsev, Gardiner and Reilly. Whether Dermott - Zaitsev is 3rd or 2nd pairing doesnt matter much to me
I think Dermott Zaitsev would be just as bad if not worse considering Dermott was a rookie last year.

Zaitsev needs to work on his positioning to alleviate pressure on his partner when they have the puck. Until he does that his partners will always have worse numbers with him.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think Dermott Zaitsev would be just as bad if not worse considering Dermott was a rookie last year.

Zaitsev needs to work on his positioning to alleviate pressure on his partner when they have the puck. Until he does that his partners will always have worse numbers with him.

You could be very well right, but Dermott has shown good hockey IQ and if our Left side is Reilly, Gardiner and him, then theres no other option.

Dermott was paired with Polak, essentially Polak was meant to be the defensive guy. So yeah, could be right...not a lot of options with this defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad