Are we sleeping on Ozhiganov?

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Interesting to note that he's merely 8 months younger than Holl and Marincin. I think we'll have to temper our enthusiasm when he instantly looks polished from day 1 (which he will). Holl and Marincin will also look polished in pre-season hockey.
The only thing Marincin has that look polished is his shoes....

Reactions: supermann_98

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have no real expectation for Ozhiganov, but I will say this however that it would be great if Borgman -- Ozhiganov formed Leafs 3rd pairing this season because they would both add that physical dimension to the Leafs they so badly lack.

Reactions: Once

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why do people keep saying Ozhiganov is a physical D-man?
People keep saying a lot of things about a player we've never seen in the NHL (yet).
It's great whatever he did in the KHL but really, he's coming in cold as far as NHL career.
We will have to see what kind of training camp he has. What kind of fit and how Babcock wants him to play in order to grab a roster spot.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why do people keep saying Ozhiganov is a physical D-man?
The 411 on Igor Ozhiganov, Russian defenceman connected to Leafs

HE CAN PLAY A HEAVY GAME

Here’s a look into Ozhiganov to give you an idea of what sort of player he is.

At 6-foot-2, 210 pounds, Ozhiganov brings size to the blue line and a bit of an edge.

As a teenager in Russia’s junior MHL (more or less Russia’s equivalent to Canada’s CHL), Ozhiganov had two seasons where he piled up the penalty minutes. In 2009-10 and 2010-11, he totalled 167 and 129 PIMs to finish third and eighth, respectively, in the league. This was probably a reason why he was never picked at the NHL Draft. He’s reined in that part of his game somewhat, finishing with 61 penalty minutes in 50 KHL games last season and has just 10 in 19 this season, so credit to him for evolving as a player.

Still, Ozhiganov is not one to shy away from the rough stuff. Truculence, anyone?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Yes it's a new league he will be playing in, the best league in the world, so it will be tough for him. We'll see what camp brings. No doubt there will be injuries, we have been relatively lucky in terms of man games lost. Having Carrick, Ozhiganov, Holl on the right and Borgman, Rosen on the left, all vying for 1 spot (plus 1 in the press box) gives us lots of bottom pairing depth.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I have no real expectation for Ozhiganov, but I will say this however that it would be great if Borgman -- Ozhiganov formed Leafs 3rd pairing this season because they would both add that physical dimension to the Leafs they so badly lack.

Same here. No expectations but I just saw a highlight package and he looks good. Perhaps he is the reason why Dubbie is bullish on our D.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Same here. No expectations but I just saw a highlight package and he looks good. Perhaps he is the reason why Dubbie is bullish on our D.
Trouble is most people look good on a highlight package. It's why it's the highlights.
Same when it comes to players for the draft. Especially D. You see an entire video of the player skating with the puck. While that certainly is big, it never quite shows what the player is doing in terms of gap control, down low battle, defending off the rush, stealing the puck, etc. It's usually a one way show.
I hope he can be a good find, obviously it's in our best interest. As of now, he's a camp hopeful. For him and us.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't think expectations are low, its just hard to understand what value a player brings to the NHL from other leagues!

No one expected players like Zaitsev to make it, or Borgman last season. It all depends how they perform in pre-season and adopt. I am hoping Oz pans out like Zaitsev did. And yes I still think Zaitsev is going to help this team!!! But he like Lindholm at the center position have to show what they can do at this level even though they were efficient in other leagues.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I don't think expectations are low, its just hard to understand what value a player brings to the NHL from other leagues!

No one expected players like Zaitsev to make it, or Borgman last season. It all depends how they perform in pre-season and adopt. I am hoping Oz pans out like Zaitsev did. And yes I still think Zaitsev is going to help this team!!! But he like Lindholm at the center position have to show what they can do at this level even though they were efficient in other leagues.
Zaitsev's performance for Russia at the WHC was pretty stellar and our best RHD was Polak. I think it was a safe assumption at the time that he would walk onto the team.

He was a much more proven commodity than the other two having been the top D on CSKA and Russia.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
will all depend on his skating and defense

not like carrick, borgman, rosen, holl, and marincin is proven nhl player so competition isnt that tough

Reactions: diceman934

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Trouble is most people look good on a highlight package. It's why it's the highlights.
Same when it comes to players for the draft. Especially D. You see an entire video of the player skating with the puck. While that certainly is big, it never quite shows what the player is doing in terms of gap control, down low battle, defending off the rush, stealing the puck, etc. It's usually a one way show.
I hope he can be a good find, obviously it's in our best interest. As of now, he's a camp hopeful. For him and us.

True but what makes me optimistic that he might be the real deal is that he turns 26 in October and has played 6+ seasons in the KHL. Not saying he is going to make it but I can now say I am bullish on him.

Reactions: Trapper

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
KHL scratch to NHL regular would be a pretty dramatic improvement over a summer.
Something a little fishy with his ice time and place on the team. The year before he was an league All star then he announced that he was going to sign with the Leafs and he suddenly becomes a 7/8 D man?
His team had an abundance of players this past season and very a very good team so they could afford to give him a bad time last season once they knew he was going to the Leafs as why would they continue to develop him for us.

He had an NHL snap shot and release. I have no idea of his skating ability defending but he has a good slapped and can use his body effectively I will reserve judgment about him until I see him skated especially his transition skating. If he can skate at the NHL level we will have found a cheap D man for next season and it gives us options.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
My understanding of it was as soon as his KHL team knew of his intentions of going to North America, they began cutting way back on his ice time. He's not the first Russian, or the last that that'll happen to. The Russians get bitter over losing talent. Loyalty is expected.

Reactions: SammyT51

SammyT51

Aug 21, 2018
Many people underestimate him due to last year but that CSKA team was stupidly stucked (they had 14 defenders), he was put off the PPs and his ice time was limited to 14 or so minutes, due to the fact that he was having intentions of going to NA and possible verbal agreement with Leafs. Also we got Zaitsev from them in the similar fashion. I would try to explain the best what type of player he is. Some say he is more mobile Polak.. that is not true..

He is top-4 calibre D-man. I watched a lot of games and in terms of playing style he reminds me of Drew Doughty (of course much lower level) in terms of puck movement, defence-to-offence transition, shot, skating, defensive abilities and smart plays in his own zone, also he is not scared to lay a hit or two. There had been times when he had gone coast to coast with puck on his stick and past defenders so he is not completely defensive defender. More like two-way defender with good skating, reliable defence and transition. Also he is a warrior in the rink and a Leafs fan, since he wouldve come to NHL just for the Leafs. Many people would be pleasantly surprised by his performances

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Many people underestimate him due to last year but that CSKA team was stupidly stucked (they had 14 defenders), he was put off the PPs and his ice time was limited to 14 or so minutes, due to the fact that he was having intentions of going to NA and possible verbal agreement with Leafs. Also we got Zaitsev from them in the similar fashion. I would try to explain the best what type of player he is. Some say he is more mobile Polak.. that is not true..

He is top-4 calibre D-man. I watched a lot of games and in terms of playing style he reminds me of Drew Doughty (of course much lower level) in terms of puck movement, defence-to-offence transition, shot, skating, defensive abilities and smart plays in his own zone, also he is not scared to lay a hit or two. There had been times when he had gone coast to coast with puck on his stick and past defenders so he is not completely defensive defender. More like two-way defender with good skating, reliable defence and transition. Also he is a warrior in the rink and a Leafs fan, since he wouldve come to NHL just for the Leafs. Many people would be pleasantly surprised by his performances
Thanks for the analysis, gives me a bit more hope he beats Carrick for that 3rd RHD spot.
If he has the speed, transition and grit that the Leafs are looking for I'll be really happy with a Dermott-Ozhiganov pairing.

Reactions: SammyT51

SammyT51

Aug 21, 2018
Thanks for the analysis, gives me a bit more hope he beats Carrick for that 3rd RHD spot.
If he has the speed, transition and grit that the Leafs are looking for I'll be really happy with a Dermott-Ozhiganov pairing.

That would likely be a 3rd pairing in 18/19 which would be lovely. Those guys would be really good together and both would be loved by Babs so much.

I might be wrong in what i think would happen but I see Ozhiganov getting regular spot, Hainsey would be with Gardiner and Carrick would be rotating with Hainsey when Ron would be regenerating since he was overused in last season and he is not capable of full schedule, although he has something in his tank, but rather save it for postseason.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ozhiganov has a good stick. Drouin has good hands and he poked the puck away from him twice in the D zone. He is making good reads. Ozhiganov is looking like an excellent pickup. He looks like he can replace Hainsey so far this pre-season.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wouldn't worry about Hainsey. He was used/beaten like rented mule last year by Babcock. If he could be cut down to 20 minutes...he'll be fine. Leaf really need Ozhiganov is NHL good to take a RHD spot.
But even if the top six Reilly, Gardiner, Dermot, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Ozhiganov. You need another one or two due to injuries. Likely Borgman or Rosen are the guys next in line as I don't have much faith in Carrick.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i really hope its not because rosen, borgman, and carrick have not looked very good, but igor has looked good all camp, ya he makes mistake too but has been way more steady

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Kucherov use to openly rant and rave about him to team mates and the press in hopes to put pressure on Tampa managment to sign him.

I believe he even went on record with a reporter and stated Igor could come in, log heavy minutes and help Tampa win the cup.

Extremely high praise from one of the best in the world.

I do have hopes for him, hes got a lot of tools and the only real question marks surrounding him in the KHL was Hockey IQ on occassion and discipline. Neither I personally think will be a concern over here.

I bet he slides into our Top 4 at some point, potentially even beside Rielly if Hainsey indeed does see some regression.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
His 1 on 1 defence has been really impressive so far. I think he and Dermott can be a very good 3rd pairing.
He's looked just fine to me as well. He doesn't look out of place. I'm not expecting him to matchup against Crosby or McDavid, I'm expecting him to hold his own vs lesser talent...like the Habs entire roster.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
He's looked just fine to me as well. He doesn't look out of place. I'm not expecting him to matchup against Crosby or McDavid, I'm expecting him to hold his own vs lesser talent...like the Habs entire roster.

Yeah, definitely not expecting him to face top competition, but as a (probably) sheltered 3rd pairing d-man, I think he's going to be a reliable force for us out there.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
It's his spot on the 3rd pair with Dermott IMO. Rosen and Holl have both looked great at times as well. Carrick has been underwhelming, and I haven't seen much from Borgman which is a good thing for his game really, he does most things well without a whole lot of mistakes. I really like Holl's game and his chemistry with Dermott is apparent. I think they keep 7 D with Oz/Holl rotating.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad