Are there still people out there who oppose a boycott?

Do you support or oppose a boycott?

• Support

• Oppose

Results are only viewable after voting.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My problem is that I just can't quit NHL hockey. I was there last night, for instance, and seeing McDavid doing McDavid things was totally worth the experience to me. I also know that consumer boycotts usually flop - people will make their own individual decisions on what they want to do or not do. Finally, I also know that Melnyk's decision to finally sell, whenever that comes, isn't going to have much to do with my ticket purchase or lack thereof. It'll be a decision he is forced into making due to his health, I suspect. Until then, he'll get enough TV and merchandise money, and enough concert revenue and the like from the building, to keep going. I'm not going to sit at home and sulk thinking that somehow I am sticking it to Melnyk.

I am a Sens fan. I'm not a proud one right now - the pride has been beaten out of me over the last year or so, but I'm still here. And one day, when this team rises again, whenever that might be, I'll be able to say that I was here when it absolutely sucked. I was able to do the same when I stood in the stands at BMO Field in November 2016, watching Mo Hopkins bring the Grey Cup over to us. I thought back to sitting in the stands at Lansdowne in the last year of the Glieberman regime, watching a bad team with horrid ownership, which was the story of Ottawa football since forever. It made the Grey Cup win all the sweeter.

Yes, we are in our Ballard years, Sens Army. And yes, it is grim. But one day, when he is gone, it will get better...

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
To be honest, I’ve been waiting for and hoping that there would be more rally-type events. More in game vitriol (audible “Mel-Nyk Out” chants at games en masse, for example), or rallies on Palladium in the hundreds - at least - on a game night with “honk if you want MelnykOut” type presence that would maybe get media attention. Problem is, no one actually goes to the games and 2/3 of the season is Ottawa winter, which isn’t conducive to outdoor protesting on Palladium at 6pm lol.

I admit I can’t say much on this, since my form of voicing my displeasure is via simply not going, which seems to be the vote-method of choice ATM. If a rally was organized, I’d go.

I’ve actually thought this board alone could at least get a couple dozen on Palladium and though I’m too apathetic at this point to organize it, I would certainly attend.

Reactions: czechcanadian

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My problem is that I just can't quit NHL hockey. I was there last night, for instance, and seeing McDavid doing McDavid things was totally worth the experience to me. I also know that consumer boycotts usually flop - people will make their own individual decisions on what they want to do or not do. Finally, I also know that Melnyk's decision to finally sell, whenever that comes, isn't going to have much to do with my ticket purchase or lack thereof. It'll be a decision he is forced into making due to his health, I suspect. Until then, he'll get enough TV and merchandise money, and enough concert revenue and the like from the building, to keep going. I'm not going to sit at home and sulk thinking that somehow I am sticking it to Melnyk.

I am a Sens fan. I'm not a proud one right now - the pride has been beaten out of me over the last year or so, but I'm still here. And one day, when this team rises again, whenever that might be, I'll be able to say that I was here when it absolutely sucked. I was able to do the same when I stood in the stands at BMO Field in November 2016, watching Mo Hopkins bring the Grey Cup over to us. I thought back to sitting in the stands at Lansdowne in the last year of the Glieberman regime, watching a bad team with horrid ownership, which was the story of Ottawa football since forever. It made the Grey Cup win all the sweeter.

Yes, we are in our Ballard years, Sens Army. And yes, it is grim. But one day, when he is gone, it will get better...

Very well said. No one is happy but this team is part of me and that can’t be shut off.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
But if there were a rally, how cool would it be to half Alfredsson speak at it? You need major players to make it work.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I wouldn't be against boycotting, speaking out, or rallies, but boycotting sponsors would seem a little bit of an overreach in use of fan leverage to me. Not sure we should be there yet. This is between us, Melnyk, and maybe the league a bit too.

But it seems there is a long term business process in place with lots of businessmen and lawyerd exerting long term leverage. In the end im thinking thats what will drive change in our favour a little more than fan actions. But i think the current attendance properly reflects what ownership deserves. Hopefully with new transportation infrastructure, taxpayer subsidized arena's, and a new corporate culture, there is room in the future to return to glory. And the current boycotting and fan actions are sufficient to make the point until we get there.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I would like it if everyone picked one game and just didn't show up. Including season ticket holders, everybody. A single game with attendance like that Florida weekday afternoon exhibition game that they didn't even sell tickets to, would send a good statement.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
For what it's worth I think the damage /result the boycotters were looking for has already been done. What different message would we be trying to send now?
There's already plenty of solid speculation that Bettman is more than aware of the problem and is/will be getting involved. And Bettman is the only person out there capable of fixing this problem.
NO amount of fan revolt, billboards, whatever is going to convince Melnyk to sell the team. Someone would have to get some real dirt on him ala that Clippers owner to truly oust him from ownership.
The players have revolted/boycotted as well to some degree. All the UFA's and Karlsson were offered fair contracts by all accounts and none of them chose to continue playing here...that's a pretty loud message to me.
I'm not saying don't continue the current boycott in all it's present forms as I think it's actually working. But as fans there may be a line for us as well as it relates to damaging the franchise...not saying or even sure where that line is...just that it's possible.

Reactions: thinkwild

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Ironically, it could be a jump in profitability that actually causes Melnyk to sell. He wants his money out of it, and that’s understandable. He might jump at the chance to sell on an upswing. Well attended, raucous games and gear flying out the door are really the only thing we have control over as fans. It’s the way we speak to our players and potential buyers most directly. Otherwise, we’re just another cog in the death spiral.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think with how much national attention we’ve gotten lately, boycotting will be more of a sign of fans hitting back at a POS owner than a market that can’t sustain an NHL franchise. If the building is empty, Melnyk doesn’t have cash flow, which is the quickest way to him being forced to sell.

There’s no point of cheering for this team if he’s the owner. He’s a chronic liar and a horrible person. He no longer should be given the benefit of the doubt from anyone. Most importantly by his words and actions from the outdoor game until now, he has little to no respect for the fans of his team. So why should we go to bat for him?

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
Many of you are under the mistakem impression that Melntk loses more money with a biycott. He does not. It is just made up in revenue sharing. Melnyk will sell when he is ready. He had a sale last fall which the BOG turned down as it did not meet their standards in terms of price.

The only thing a continuing boycott will accomplish is a greater chance of relocation if the NHL decides this is not a good hockey market and in many ways it isn't.

Reactions: Cloud

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Many of you are under the mistakem impression that Melntk loses more money with a biycott. He does not. It is just made up in revenue sharing. Melnyk will sell when he is ready. He had a sale last fall which the BOG turned down as it did not meet their standards in terms of price.

The only thing a continuing boycott will accomplish is a greater chance of relocation if the NHL decides this is not a good hockey market and in many ways it isn't.
The NHL is absolutely aware of why attendance is dipping. It would be naive to think otherwise.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I suspects many here are boycotting nothing more than the nhl streams subreddit.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ironically, it could be a jump in profitability that actually causes Melnyk to sell. He wants his money out of it, and that’s understandable. He might jump at the chance to sell on an upswing. Well attended, raucous games and gear flying out the door are really the only thing we have control over as fans. It’s the way we speak to our players and potential buyers most directly. Otherwise, we’re just another cog in the death spiral.
The team is his only source of real income. The more money you give him the more he can pocket. The less money you give him the more he has to spend out of his own pocket. Pretty simple. If he plans on staying in Kanata for the foreseeable future he's going to have to pony up money. If the fans stayed away for at least 1 season, that would have the most effect on his ability to pay his debts to his creditors.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Revenue sharing affects all of the teams in the league and they will be the ones pissed.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Fans screaming boycott sounds like a kid at a toy store throwing a tantrum for not getting what they wants

Gotta deal with the ups and down. It's part of life!

If you choose to boycott, then quietly leave, why lurk these forums?

Ups and down? What are the ups to all of this mess? That we got a couple of late 1st round picks who, if they are good, will get traded away in five years for less than they're worth? Great. Superb. Or, how about instead of calling it throwing a tantrum, how about you acknowledge that at this point Melnyk as the own is the ONLY consistent factor of more than a decade of bullshit? Different GMs, different coaches, different players. We even lost a lot of our scouts, and that was one of our strengths for a long time. Melnyk is the ONLY guy who the hammer hasn't fallen on. He deserves to have his assets boycotted. Hell, we SHOULD boycott the businesses that sponsor the team too. Then if they drop their sponsorship, Melnyk will run out of money faster and eventually wont be able to support a cap minimum team, and the league brass will have no choice but to FORCE him to sell. Then maybe we can go back to not being the embarrassment of the NHL.

So, how about you leave these forums and go down to Canadian Tire Centre, and you can be one of the three people holding up signs that are cheering for the team, while there's hundreds calling for Melnyk to get the f*** out? Squeaky wheel get's the grease, bud. If you don't make noise for the change you want, who else will?

The better question is when are you planning on buying a ticket package and supporting this team with your wallet

This has been talked to death countless times. You don't just give money to a business because you USED to like the product if they change the product to something you hate. You may say that the Sens aren't a business, they're your team, and that's fine. But clearly to Melnyk, they are a business, and if he's going to treat them like a business, then we have no choice but to do so because they are his to do with as he wants. Hell, he made it MORE than clear to Karlsson that the team is a business and would be treated as such, so Karlsson went along with what Melnyk wanted, and treated it like a business.

Uncle Eugene is the most squalid f*** of a billionaire on the planet, and he's throwing out everything about this team that was worth getting excited for to save himself money, rather than doing the SMART thing: selling the team, and going to live full time in Barbados where there are still more than ten people who like the guy. He's a f***ing disgrace, and any money that goes into the Sens organization right now, he's getting a cut of it. Well f*** that shit. Whatever money that Eugene used to be getting from the fan base that he now isn't, its his own damn fault for allowing himself to become unfit to run a competitive team. I remember still having season tickets about a decade ago, and for several years after, and having to go to game after game and watch us get worse and worse.

Its time for the hammer to fall on the last nail standing, everyone. And that nail in Melnyk. He's got it coming, and whether it comes in the form of him ending up bankrupt along with the team and having no choice but to sell because he can't pay off his debts, or with the NHL heads forcing him out, I don't care. My sympathy for that cheap f*** long since ran out.

You want to waste your money by giving to that shameful prick, you go ahead. But don't try to act like you're somehow a "true fan" while those of us who want Melnyk gone enough to boycott are lesser than you. A good supporter doesn't give you a cigarette after you've been diagnosed with lung cancer. They take your smokes off of you, and they take the lighters and matches away too. The Sens are the lungs, Melnyk is the cancer. How about you support your team, and help get that malignant f***ass out of this city?

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Anecdotal...

At a charity gala tonight, live auction results:

Hot air ballon ride - $230
Send a picture into space - $175
100 level ($500) value sens tickets - $140

I didn’t grab them because there were other similar pairs in the silent auction still under $100.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I’m not sure a boycott is even needed. Melnyk you just played yourself dawg.

The franchise destroyed itself with no assistance needed.

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018

Oh dont you worry..he is devaluing the Sens and he is losing

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wanting change is only half. The other half is knowing what ******* is getting your money.

Yep.

I want Melynk gone...but I'm not under the illusion that a daddy warbucks will come in and spend, spend, spend, either.

To a New owner: Just give me a full front office staff, full field of scouts (and no boycotts of any regions because of politics), a competent and capable GM and coaching staff, and I'll be reasonably happy. Spend to the cap when we're in an honest contending position....and that's that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad