Are the Rangers a serious playoff contender?

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
Wait they are back up at the cap already? That's not the best sign for such a young team.

Definitely have a shot at playoffs though.
They're back up at the cap because they're still 1 year off from old remaining forward contracts expiring and 2 years off from Lundqvist/the old d core's contracts expiring. 20m comes off the books after this season and 30m the season after that. Unless they sign another Panarin or like everyone hits their ceilings they have plenty cap space to pay everyone.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shestyorkin is presumably spending most of the season in the AHL unless Gorton gets into some galaxy brained goalie couching strats

That’s possible, but Lundqvist is towards the end of his career and Georgiyev doesn’t have high level potential.

It’d be stupid and for a team that is trying to win, it makes it more stupid. Gorton should clear out a spot.

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
That’s possible, but Lundqvist is towards the end of his career and Georgiyev doesn’t have high level potential.

It’d be stupid and for a team that is trying to win, it makes it more stupid. Gorton should clear out a spot.
Personally I don't really see a huge rush, a Lundqvist/Georgiev tandem is solid enough and we are probably a year off from playoffs anyway. Shestyorkin should be given however much time he needs this season to acclimate, I do agree that we need to ditch Georgiev since lundpads isn't going anywhere, but I think we can answer this question closer to or after the trade deadline.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They have a shot at playoffs.

Have a lot of positive momentum going for them for sure.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Not good for this or next year but they have$25 million plus in smith, shattenkirk, stall, hank and the Girardi buyout coming off the books in two years. All of which other than hank are players they would give away for free right now.

Ah okay good to know thanks

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Personally I don't really see a huge rush, a Lundqvist/Georgiev tandem is solid enough and we are probably a year off from playoffs anyway. Shestyorkin should be given however much time he needs this season to acclimate, I do agree that we need to ditch Georgiev since lundpads isn't going anywhere, but I think we can answer this question closer to or after the trade deadline.

Why do people think Kravtsov doesn’t need any time to adjust but Shestyorkin does? Kravtsov was a middling player in the KHL last season. Shestyorkin was the best player in the league.

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
Why do people think Kravtsov doesn’t need any time to adjust but Shestyorkin does? Kravtsov was a middling player in the KHL last season. Shestyorkin was the best player in the league.
Never mentioned Kravtsov. Personally I think he'll probably need AHL time too, but its far easier to imagine him being able to get a roster spot in the NHL than Shestyorkin, since all 12 forward spots aren't blocked while both goalie spots are.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Never mentioned Kravtsov. Personally I think he'll probably need AHL time too, but its far easier to imagine him being able to get a roster spot in the NHL than Shestyorkin, since all 12 forward spots aren't blocked while both goalie spots are.

I'm not saying you did, but you proved my point. Many are penciling Kravtsov in, despite probably not being ready, but Shestyorkin has done about as much as you could possibly do to prove a player is NHL ready, and people want him in the AHL.

There comes a point where the marginal assets spots are not a worry until you figure out the spots of your best assets. Should Fox, Hajek and Rykov be bound by the roster status of Shattenkirk and Smith? There's no guarantee that Shestyorkin will play well right away. He might need some time to adjust, but if he does, he's earned the right to do so in the NHL. Gorton botched this, and will only be bailed out, if Shestyorkin completely outplays Georgiyev in the preseason. Or maybe Gorton expects Shestyorkin to start in the NHL, and Georgiyev in the AHL. The general expectation about the goalie situation could be different from how the team is looking at it.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Rangers have too many question marks and issues with the current roster construction to say they're a serious contender; at least for the Cup. They should definitely be in the mix for a playoff spot.

Panarin - Zibanejad - Kakko
Buchnevich - Chytil - Kravtsov
Strome - Andersson - Fast
Lemieux - Howden - Lettieri
Nieves

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - Fox
DeAngelo - Shattenkirk
Smith

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Looking at that roster (I'm assuming Kreider and Namestnikov are cap casualties to get under), there's a few glaring issues.

1. The #2 center spot is a huge issue. I think Andersson and Howden can each slot in nicely in the bottom 6 but asking Chytil to slot in at 2C (especially when he played a lot on the wing last year) is a lot given where he is at his development. They need a big step forward from all the kids.

2. Kakko and Kravtsov will both be phenomenal players but again, asking a lot of the kids in year 1.

3. Their forward depth is seriously lacking after Kreider and Namestnikov are dealt. Lettieri is a AAAA player ad Fast is a 3rd/4th line tweener. I don't know how well the forward group would hold up if they get hit with a string of injuries.

4. The defense is improved from last season (Pionk for Trouba is a massive upgrade) but there's still massive issues on the back end such as Staal eating up top 4 minutes, Fox being an unknown who may need AHL time, and a lot of question marks surrounding whether Shattenkirk can bounce back. It's still an average at best defense currently.

The Rangers season will in all likelihood hinge on how big of a step all their youngsters take.

Reactions: sammystl5

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
I'm not saying you did, but you proved my point. Many are penciling Kravtsov in, despite probably not being ready, but Shestyorkin has done about as much as you could possibly do to prove a player is NHL ready, and people want him in the AHL.

There comes a point where the marginal assets spots are not a worry until you figure out the spots of your best assets. Should Fox, Hajek and Rykov be bound by the roster status of Shattenkirk and Smith? There's no guarantee that Shestyorkin will play well right away. He might need some time to adjust, but if he does, he's earned the right to do so in the NHL. Gorton botched this, and will only be bailed out, if Shestyorkin completely outplays Georgiyev in the preseason. Or maybe Gorton expects Shestyorkin to start in the NHL, and Georgiyev in the AHL. The general expectation about the goalie situation could be different from how the team is looking at it.
I didn't prove your point the entire reason I said Kravtsov is more likely to get NHL time is because he isn't blocked it has nothing to do with his development curve v. Shesty.

Reactions: QJL

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Rangers have too many question marks and issues with the current roster construction to say they're a serious contender; at least for the Cup. They should definitely be in the mix for a playoff spot.

Nieves

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - Fox
DeAngelo - Shattenkirk
Smith

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Looking at that roster (I'm assuming Kreider and Namestnikov are cap casualties to get under), there's a few glaring issues.

1. The #2 center spot is a huge issue. I think Andersson and Howden can each slot in nicely in the bottom 6 but asking Chytil to slot in at 2C (especially when he played a lot on the wing last year) is a lot given where he is at his development. They need a big step forward from all the kids.

2. Kakko and Kravtsov will both be phenomenal players but again, asking a lot of the kids in year 1.

3. Their forward depth is seriously lacking after Kreider and Namestnikov are dealt. Lettieri is a AAAA player ad Fast is a 3rd/4th line tweener. I don't know how well the forward group would hold up if they get hit with a string of injuries.

4. The defense is improved from last season (Pionk for Trouba is a massive upgrade) but there's still massive issues on the back end such as Staal eating up top 4 minutes, Fox being an unknown who may need AHL time, and a lot of question marks surrounding whether Shattenkirk can bounce back. It's still an average at best defense currently.

The Rangers season will in all likelihood hinge on how big of a step all their youngsters take.

Yep, good post.

Rangers have to be one of the bigger mystery boxes going into next season. If everything goes as you'd hope they can be a good team, but on the other hand, if multiple things don't happen there are really no "failsafe" options to fall back on and say it's going to be fine.

- Kakko might start the season well but flame out in the 2nd half, he's never played 80 games in a season and the games are obviously more demanding in the NHL.

- Kravtsov might not be ready for the NHL, let alone play a significant role. He's 19 and put up 21 pts in 50 games in the KHL. Logic says it'll be more of a surprise than anything if he already slots into the top 6 and performs well for a full year.

- Like you said, Chytil as the 2C is a complete unknown. It's one thing to just play there, but another to actually do well. Big difference.

- With Andersson/Howden you have 2 guys who fit the bottom 6 mold but is either of these guys ready to actually be a good 3C? Being a solid 3C isn't easy, means you have to be very effective 5 on 5.

- Shattenkirk might still suck

- Fox might or might not be ready

- Does Lundqvist still have a lot of 1G hockey left, or is Georgiev relied upon to be the starter and if he is, how does he do when the games actually matter?

With this many question marks things always seem to go 1 or 2 ways. Either they go very well or they go bad. I can't see the Rangers making the playoffs if even a few of these things don't go as hoped.

But the way i see it, i couldn't care less if they make it or not. Rangers have a clear direction they're going in and things will fall into place eventually. Whether it's now or 2-3 years from now, you can't set a timetable for it without knowing your core well. If i was a Rangers fan i wouldn't worry too much about the results this year, rather focus on the young players and see how they progress.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

No chance he goes to the AHL he is going to tear shit up with KK.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yes, but they will disappoint.

How can a young team that is 17 months into their rebuild make the playoffs but be considered a disappointment?

For the Rangers to be a playoff team this quickly it meant a lot things went right with our young guys and older core of vets (Trouba, Skjei, Shatty, Panarin, Zibanejad and Lundqvist, these guys each individually have a lot to prove) and will be able to ride that momentum to Cup contention in 2020-21.

Any improvements we make this upcoming season is gravy. Even if it ends in getting swept out of the playoffs in round 1

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Nieves

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - Fox
DeAngelo - Shattenkirk
Smith

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Maybe im biased. But on paper that is a dreadful lineup.

Reactions: sammystl5

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
How long ago was the letter sent to Ranger fans??

Panarin — Zibanejad — Kakko
Kravstov — — Buchnevich
Chytil — Andersson — Fast
Lemieux — Howden — Strome

Trouba — Skjei
Fox — Shatty
TDA — Staal

Hankie
Georgie/Shesty

Finish up a 2c. Can they put up a nice run? What a beauty Gorton/Sather has done with this organization

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190704-115800_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190704-115800_Samsung Internet.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 7

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
Those are the odds right now to win cup. Still on the lower end of the league.

Trending up but not that far up yet. Wouldnt be surprised to see them make it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad