Are the Rangers a serious playoff contender?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Don’t think so, just too green both on the ice and maybe even behind the bench. Will be exciting, but Kakko, Panarin, and Trouba are all just upgrades over three other NHL players they shipped out. So they’re entering next season with about as many NHL players as they had last season, which is still too few. Certainly a lot of guys getting better on the job, and they’ll be quite exciting, but that depth is just not there at the moment.

I can kinda see an alternate future where a couple of the young roster guys fizzle or only half-bake, Trouba ends up on a colossal deal that he never lives up to, and Panarin descends into traditional listless 60-point Ranger stardom like so many great before him, while the team starts shipping prospects and grinding the cap for mediocre center depth to spark him and try to maximize a non-existant window. Old habits die hard, but I can’t say the Panarin signing didn’t send visions of a bored Gaborik, a cap-gobbling Gomez, a sneering Brad Richards, and a thousand other big-ticket forwards dancing through my head.

Last edited:

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I think people still underrate just how good Henrik Lundqvist is. He’s obviously slowing down, but adding Trouba and a full season of Hajek, who played very well last season, plus whatever Fox gives them makes a big difference on defense.

They’ll compete for a playoff spot. If they find a way to keep Kreider in the fold and Gorton adds a middle-six center during the season, then they’re an interesting bunch.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Make a case for the Blue Jackets.

- Torts
- A great young dcore, that's incredibly deep
- Speed for days
- Youth ready to take bigger roles due to spots that have opened up (PLD, Texier, Bemstrom)
- As good as Bobrovsky was, he only had a .913 sv% last year. That's replaceable. (28 goalies had better last year). With 2 young goalies ready to make a name for themselves, we could be witnessing a new era in Columbus. And remember, all they need is .913.

Truthfully I like New Yorks chances better, but as I said I think fans can make a case for any team. I will say this though. I like CBJ's coach and d-core better for 2019-20.

m0rkoli

Jan 3, 2019
No... Last place for Rangers, then they pick Lafreniére. Then we talk More.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
No... Last place for Rangers, then they pick Lafreniére. Then we talk More.
I don’t see how the Rangers end up in last. They were trying to tank the past year and a half and didn’t even finish bottom 5.

Signing Panarin, trading for Trouba and Fox, drafting Kakko and Kravtsov. These moves don’t weaken the roster. They may not make the playoffs but the probably won’t be bottom 10.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
They've gotten a lot stronger but they'' face strong competition in their own division as well as league-wise.Also. I wonder if Lundqvist still has it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes, I think 2020-2021 is when they really start becoming a force though

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They’ve gotten a lot better and should push for a playoff spot in my opinion. I’m not familiar with their centers. Also it’s a sad day when a great goalie like Lundqvist could be one of their biggest question marks along with the defence which Trouba should give a big boost too.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If your top line rw hasn't even played in the NHL yet, you don't have a true 2c yet, and Jacob Trouba is your #1 defender I don't really see how this team is gonna go deep. But it's as great a start for a return to competitiveness as you could hope for in such a short amount of time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think people still underrate just how good Henrik Lundqvist is. He’s obviously slowing down, but adding Trouba and a full season of Hajek, who played very well last season, plus whatever Fox gives them makes a big difference on defense.

They’ll compete for a playoff spot. If they find a way to keep Kreider in the fold and Gorton adds a middle-six center during the season, then they’re an interesting bunch.

He had a .907 SV%, and was outplayed by a rookie goalie. He's been bad for a season and a half now. There's a chance he'll put together a good stretch. He's done that for some stretches the last few years, but he hasn't put together a full good season in years.

Hajek played a few games last season after struggling in the AHL. I wouldn't pencil him in yet to a spot, nor expect him to make a big difference for the defense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see how the Rangers end up in last. They were trying to tank the past year and a half and didn’t even finish bottom 5.

Signing Panarin, trading for Trouba and Fox, drafting Kakko and Kravtsov. These moves don’t weaken the roster. They may not make the playoffs but the probably won’t be bottom 10.

The Rangers were last in Regulation & Overtime wins last season, so not being the best shootout team in the league at the same time as being the worst Regulation and Overtime team in the league, which mostly comes down to a fluke how you can be first in one and last in another, and thats a last place team.

As for how the team could be worse, Lundqvist continues to play mediocre, Georgiyev's play regresses and/or Shestyorkin doesn't help next season either, Kravtsov isn't any more ready the upcoming season than Chytil was last season, Fox makes little NHL impact due to being a rookie or due to his role in the organization with three RHD ahead of him on the depth chart, Kakko has a respectable, but not great rookie year. There's certainly a chance that none of those players are impact players, and all the rookies only combine for 1-2 top half of the league players.

Panarin will make the offense slightly better, but being near the bottom of the league doesn't mean you can't have a player that scores a lot of points. Outside of Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider and Buchnevich, there aren't any proven top six players in the lineup. Also, its unlikely all four of those players will start on the team, so the addition of Panarin could be offset by having less depth than we started last season at among the forward spots (Zibanejad, Zuccarello, Hayes, Kreider, Buchnevich)

Trouba will also make the defense slightly better, but how much can he do? He's now tasked with being the only top pairing defensemen on a team with a lot of young players and bad defensemen. He's never played that role in his career. There's every chance that he underperforms compared to last season, and isn't that much better next season than a league average defensemen. It's also a lesser impact than Panarin because he isn't close to as good. Trouba is not the sort of player that we should be relying on to make all the other defensemen better. He's good, but not elite.

I think this team will be better than last season, but I can see how it wouldn't.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Could go either way. Depends almost entirely on how Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, Chytil, Andersson and Howden do.

People worrying about Panarin suddenly being worse because of the logo on the jersey he wears and some historic comparison to another player who wore the same one is nonsense.

If the kids do well and grow a lot, the team will be good. If they lag, the team will be bad. Mostly likely some will run with it and others will falter and the team will fall short of the playoffs while being a lot more fun to watch.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
He had a .907 SV%, and was outplayed by a rookie goalie. He's been bad for a season and a half now. There's a chance he'll put together a good stretch. He's done that for some stretches the last few years, but he hasn't put together a full good season in years.

Hajek played a few games last season after struggling in the AHL. I wouldn't pencil him in yet to a spot, nor expect him to make a big difference for the defense.

He is misused and overplayed. When the Rangers were on the bubble Quinn was obsessed with starting him. He looked burnt out in the 2nd half.

Lundqvist shouldnt be starting more than 50 games. He shouldnt have stretches where he starts 17 of 20 games. That is just non sense at his age. But was the reality over the first 40-50 games of the season.

If he starts 12 of every 20 games I think he will have a strong season. Dont ride a 37 year old goaltender into the ground.

I think the goaltending situation will be more of a 1a 1b situation next year. I see Lundqvist getting 45 starts and Georgiev/Shestyorkin getting 37. And that is how it should be.

Look at all of the Vezina finalists this past season. Started 45-50 games.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
No, because i said so. Nah but seriously no, i guess they're not "serious" playoffs contender since i laughed a bit while reading the question

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He is misused and overplayed. When the Rangers were on the bubble Quinn was obsessed with starting him. He looked burnt out in the 2nd half.

Lundqvist shouldnt be starting more than 50 games. He shouldnt have stretches where he starts 17 of 20 games. That is just non sense at his age. But was the reality over the first 40-50 games of the season.

If he starts 12 of every 20 games I think he will have a strong season. Dont ride a 37 year old goaltender into the ground.

I think the goaltending situation will be more of a 1a 1b situation next year. I see Lundqvist getting 45 starts and Georgiev/Shestyorkin getting 37. And that is how it should be.

Look at all of the Vezina finalists this past season. Started 45-50 games.

I think that’s still too much. He played 52 games last season, which isn’t that different from 45-50.

It’s not about Quinn playing him an extra start or two too many per month. It’s the whole usage of Lundqvist that needs rethinking. He should not be looked at as a starter anymore. Maybe he’ll start off as #1 on the depth chart, but when you have three goalies you need to get starts, Lundqvist should not hit 40 starts next season. There’s no reason for it.

I would flip around what you said. The 45 starts go to the young goalies and Lundqvist gets 37. If he’s on pace for 37 and isn’t playing well, while the young goalies are, that can be lowered. He should no longer be used in a starter role where he plays most of the games. A lot of teams don’t play their starters that many games anymore. I think burnout definitely has played a part in some of these years.

Reactions: Oak

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No.

But, its the NHL we see surprise teams make the playoffs every year, and some of those teams tend to overachieve. Just look at Carolina this year, Vegas the year before, etc. The NHL over the last 5 years has shown its pretty foolish to write off any-team. Now, I don't think its likely the Sens make the playoffs, but there is still a chance.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I think that’s still too much. He played 52 games last season, which isn’t that different from 45-50.

It’s not about Quinn playing him an extra start or two too many per month. It’s the whole usage of Lundqvist that needs rethinking. He should not be looked at as a starter anymore. Maybe he’ll start off as #1 on the depth chart, but when you have three goalies you need to get starts, Lundqvist should not hit 40 starts next season. There’s no reason for it.

I would flip around what you said. The 45 starts go to the young goalies and Lundqvist gets 37. If he’s on pace for 37 and isn’t playing well, while the young goalies are, that can be lowered. He should no longer be used in a starter role where he plays most of the games. A lot of teams don’t play their starters that many games anymore. I think burnout definitely has played a part in some of these years.

I just dont see him getting less than 45 starts. He is still the face of the franchise, on an $8.5M contract. I think as long as he plays well [and he should, given he gets rest] he will be the starter on the team.

If not, retain on his salary and ask him if he wants a trade to a team like San Jose where he would be a substantial upgrade over a goalie like Jones.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
* Mika Zibanejad is an excellent centerman, comes from a career best season, 30 goals 74 points, a true 1st line center
* what ever opinions people have on Artemi Panarin, he still is a star player in the NHL, he too had a career best season
28 goals, 87 points + 11 points in 10 play-off games = 98 points

* i think Kaapo Kakko is the biggest favorite to win the rookie of the year credentials with the Calder Memorial Trophy
* Chris Kreider is a really good 2nd line winger (i assume Kakko plays in the 1st line),again, comes from a career best season
28 goals, 53 points

* Vlad Namestnikov and Pavel Buchnevich are 2 excellent top 6 young super talented players, both are really good skaters
* Ryan Strome was a nice positive surprise for you last season, he should play either 2nd or 3rd line center position

* your forwards prospect pool looks super promising; Kaapo Kakko,Vitaly Kravtsov,Filip Chytil,Brett Howden

one option:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Strome-Kravtsov
Namestnikov-Chytil-Buchnevich
Lemieux-Howden-Nieves

Skjei-Trouba
????-DeAngelo
Staal-Fox

Lundqvist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad