Are the Rangers a serious playoff contender?

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I just dont see him getting less than 45 starts. He is still the face of the franchise, on an $8.5M contract. I think as long as he plays well [and he should, given he gets rest] he will be the starter on the team.

If not, retain on his salary and ask him if he wants a trade to a team like San Jose where he would be a substantial upgrade over a goalie like Jones.

And what a handsome face he is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
* Mika Zibanejad is an excellent centerman, comes from a career best season, 30 goals 74 points, a true 1st line center
* what ever opinions people have on Artemi Panarin, he still is a star player in the NHL, he too had a career best season
28 goals, 87 points + 11 points in 10 play-off games = 98 points

* i think Kaapo Kakko is the biggest favorite to win the rookie of the year credentials with the Calder Memorial Trophy
* Chris Kreider is a really good 2nd line winger (i assume Kakko plays in the 1st line),again, comes from a career best season
28 goals, 53 points

* Vlad Namestnikov and Pavel Buchnevich are 2 excellent top 6 young super talented players, both are really good skaters
* Ryan Strome was a nice positive surprise for you last season, he should play either 2nd or 3rd line center position

* your forwards prospect pool looks super promising; Kaapo Kakko,Vitaly Kravtsov,Filip Chytil,Brett Howden

one option:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Strome-Kravtsov
Namestnikov-Chytil-Buchnevich
Lemieux-Howden-Nieves

Skjei-Trouba
????-DeAngelo
Staal-Fox

Lundqvist

Namestnikov sucks. Don’t be fooled by his point totals playing on a line with Stamkos and Kucherov. He has 35 points in 97 games for the Rangers. He’s a 9th forward.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
On paper they look like they should make a run for a playoff spot, but we've seen too often how being good on paper doesn't translate.

I'd say it's a coin flip.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They’ll probably stick suck, albeit not quite as much as last year. Beyond that there’s just too many wildcards to say with any certainty how much improvement should be expected.

Trouba’s effect on Skjei; The new team and role’s effect on Trouba; How will Kakko and Kravtsov do; Goaltending splits between Georgiev/Lundqvist/Shesterkin; Will one of Chytil/Andersson/Howden take the next step; Hajek/whoever is holding the 3LD spot; DeAngelo continuing or building upon his last season; Will Fox bounce between the NHL/AHL, have a decent season or an exceptional season; Who is going to win the 2C spot; Will Panarin play with Zibanejad or carry his own line; Will Kreider be moved before or during the season, if at all; Can Buchnevich find a new level, or is he what he is; Are the dickweed refs done hazing Quinn?

Large potential, larger uncertainty.

Hayes, Zuccarello, Vesey, Shattenkirk, Pionk; 3F/2D—168 points.

Panarin (82 [career avg],) Kakko (40 [based roughly on post-2005 2OAs],) Trouba (33 [based on career avg pre-2018-19],) Fox (14 [req. pts to top 168, conservative].) 2F/2D, discounting Kravtsov—169 points.

So, replacing lost production should not be a problem, although there are obviously any number of factors (i.e. injuries,) that could throw a wrench into it; For that reason, I tried to keep the projections as conservative as possible. It may have been better to use a difference metric like goals created or GAR/WAR, but oh well. Additionally, Panarin is an excellent possession player, and Kakko certainly has all the making of one, too; Trouba, even with an underwhelming season, will nonetheless be a vast improvement over Pionk.

Definitely no shortage of things to keep an eye on. This is uncharted territory for the franchise. I don’t think drafting Kakko will really sink for anyone until the first game. I mean I’m still getting used to even having 1st round picks again to begin with.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Contender to make the playoffs? Sure. I still think they're a year away from the playoffs. I can't see them making a run if they make it.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I wouldnt be surprised if Brett Howden is the center that slots in at the 2nd line center position. Think he could be a really good player and he showed that last season. He was unlucky and got injured which obviously hurt his development and point production last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad