Are the Rangers a serious playoff contender?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
No, we are not, not next season. Too many rookies and sophomores, D still has 3 anchors attached to it. I think the following season will be much more promising. however

This is the correct answer. The first serious year will be 21-22, when Kakko and Kravstov are in the final years of their ELCs. Any playoff experience this young roster can get before then will help.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I feel like the Rangers will be one of the biggest question marks next year.

How good is Kakko?
What can Kravtsov do?
Can Zibanejad keep up his level of play?
Do Trouba and Fox provide some stability on D?
Will Chytil, Hajek, Anderson, etc. make strides?
Does Hank bounce back or do the young goalies take over?

Panarin might be the only player you know what you’re getting with on this roster. He kept up his play when moving from Chicago to Columbus.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't understand people saying no...like ya'll just gonna ignore they have Lemieux?

A contender for the playoffs? Yes. A lock? No. A contender IN the playoffs? No. I don't understand people thinking they are suddenly a juggernaut.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
If they have a chance to make the playoffs it's going to be on the back of Georgiev this year. Not Lundqvist.

islandersdynasty

May 26, 2018
Fairfax, VA
Eh, not impressed outside the 1st forward line and 1st D pairing. Zibenajad is more of a 2nd line center imo...Instead of picking 2nd overall next year they’ll pick in the 10-15 range, so modest improvement.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like the Rangers will be one of the biggest question marks next year.

How good is Kakko?
What can Kravtsov do?
Can Zibanejad keep up his level of play?
Do Trouba and Fox provide some stability on D?
Will Chytil, Hajek, Anderson, etc. make strides?
Does Hank bounce back or do the young goalies take over?

Panarin might be the only player you know what you’re getting with on this roster. He kept up his play when moving from Chicago to Columbus.

There are no excuses or lack of motivation for Hank not to perform very well and bounce back. I expect him to play with a chip on his shoulder knowing he does not have much time left in the starter role. Rangers have also improved the team around him.

I am cautiously optimistic that the Rangers can squeeze into a playoff spot next season, not sure how much noise they will make, but would be nice for these young kids to get a taste of the playoffs while they continue to grow. Even if they are bounced in the 1st round in 4 or 5 games. I don't think anyone is expecting them to be true contenders for at least another couple of years or more. But Panarin will still be in his prime when they do turn that corner.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Assuming playoff contenders means bubble team, yeah, that’s about where I’d put them. They’ve had nearly an ideal offseason.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
a little OT
Rangers added : Trouba, Kakko and Panarin
Devils: Hughes, Subban, Simmonds

this is going to be a fun rivalry.... if things go well, I think both teams are playoff contenders

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Wait they are back up at the cap already? That's not the best sign for such a young team.

Definitely have a shot at playoffs though.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I believe they fully intended a full scorched rebuild but landing Kakko would change most teams future plans rather quickly.

Good for the Rangers, honestly.

Reactions: Holocene

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i expect them to be in the PO mix in a year or 2. Still lots of youth and question marks right now, but lots of potential of course.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
Wait they are back up at the cap already? That's not the best sign for such a young team.

Definitely have a shot at playoffs though.
Not good for this or next year but they have$25 million plus in smith, shattenkirk, stall, hank and the Girardi buyout coming off the books in two years. All of which other than hank are players they would give away for free right now.

Squarp

Ranger for Life
Feb 19, 2012
I'm talking about a longer term rebuild mainly through drafting. I don't think they have to wait long at all. It was almost a full scorched retool in a way.
Hank, Staal, Kreider, and Fast (who was a rookie) are the only players left from our 2014 team that went to the cup finals. Feels kind of weird to think about how much has changed in 5 years.

ZestyMest

Sep 2, 2018
They probably won't be good but to say they aren't like a wild card contender or something is an underestimate of the current parity in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad