Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
LMAO they haven't made the playoffs. But if their GM agrees with their delusional fans that they're done the rebuild, then that's better for the rest of the conference.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
LMAO they haven't made the playoffs. But if their GM agrees with their delusional fans that they're done the rebuild, then that's better for the rest of the conference.

Better than your GM buying into the hype of "Toronto boy done hometown proud" and unnecessarily destroying your teams balance and salary cap and all the good work done building around Matthews, Marner, etc.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
A team that's not even in the playoffs has completed the rebuild.

That really is better for the rest of the conference.

Lmao, the rebuild is barely two years old and we haven't even really seen any of the benefits from the assets we acquired since.

Reactions: haveandare

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Sure but that doesn't change what I said...

You said Rangers fans are delusional when this thread wasn't even created by one of us and most Rangers fans are very reasonable and level headed about where we are as a team. We saw enough positive signs this season to know we are very close to having another prolonged period of contending, but still need some tinkering and our prospects like Miller, Lundkvist, Kravstov, Kakko and Gauthier to pan out and be big contributors. You know, the actual fruits of the labor of the "completed rebuild".

Still have two first round picks in this upcoming draft too, while a team like the Islanders that is barely ahead of us traded away their 1st and their 2nd. How about that? Lmao.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
A few years ago both the Devils and the Avs went pretty far when they both cut the veteran fat and went young. They were both supposed to suck and were willing to take the punches but it “backfired” and both played very well. They were competitive just because the new teams were younger, faster and hungrier than the old in a league that rewards young and fast currently. In both cases it was premature to say they were done rebuilding though it was fun to watch them. They both took a step back after, and the Avs have now stepped back forward as they have continued to build to near completion. Devils are still rebuilding but you can see the foundation.

The Rangers are young, fast and hungry. Fun to watch. They play with no pressure because nothing was expected of them and they’re too young to really know better anyways. I’m guessing Gorton still sees all the holes and isn’t remotely done, and no one should take this as the end of the rebuild. They’ve made only one real move “against” the rebuild in keeping Kreider but he’s part of the solution moving forwards, you have to keep something.

I’d bet like the others they’ll take a step back at some point before moving forward, but at least they’re fun to watch.

Reactions: Maximus

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
A few years ago both the Devils and the Avs went pretty far when they both cut the veteran fat and went young. They were both supposed to suck and were willing to take the punches but it “backfired” and both played very well. They were competitive just because the new teams were younger, faster and hungrier than the old in a league that rewards young and fast currently. In both cases it was premature to say they were done rebuilding though it was fun to watch them. They both took a step back after, and the Avs have now stepped back forward as they have continued to build to near completion. Devils are still rebuilding but you can see the foundation.

The Rangers are young, fast and hungry. Fun to watch. They play with no pressure because nothing was expected of them and they’re too young to really know better anyways. I’m guessing Gorton still sees all the holes and isn’t remotely done, and no one should take this as the end of the rebuild. They’ve made only one real move “against” the rebuild in keeping Kreider but he’s part of the solution moving forwards, you have to keep something.

I’d bet like the others they’ll take a step back at some point before moving forward, but at least they’re fun to watch.
I would tend to agree. They're also being dragged up to Wild Card contention by Panarin/Zibanejad playing like god, akin to Hall's Hart Trophy season x2. Great players, doubt they repeat this kind of insane production, but stranger things have happened.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It helps when you constantly have players who only want to play for your team.

The Rangers are like the Lakers of the NHL.. Well except that they actually win. They've been around since 1926. How do they only have 4 cups when that massive advantage?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

The Rangers are like the Lakers of the NHL.. Well except that they actually win. They've been around since 1926. How do they only have 4 cups when that massive advantage?
Probably because of not doing what they’re doing now. They didn’t only sign Panarin. Gorton traded a ton of veteran assets the last several years. Stepan, Miller, Raanta, Hayes, Grabner, McDonagh, Skjei, Nash, Zuccarello; That’s like an entire top-6, a top-pair, and a starting goalie. He signed Chara and Savard back when Bergeron/Krejci/Kessel were still kids.

It absolutely is an advantage, when they use it properly, which has not always been the case.

I could see that. They’re not even close to being out of the woods yet. Panarin is the MVP, but the cornerstones of the franchise are really Kakko, Fox, and Shesterkin. Their future depends a good deal on how Kakko turns out. Lias Andersson was the first causality. There will inevitably be more.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Edmonton has 5 cups in 5 years. Pittsburgh has 5 in 25. Isles had four straight. It's pretty embarrassing when you think about it. The Rangers have also never ever had the best player in the league. Not at any point. Messier was close. But there was Mario and Gretzky.

When you look up at the Bruins retired numbers you see Bourque, Orr, and Esposito.

In Detroit you see Sawchuk, Howe, Yzerman, and Lidstrom.

In Chicago you see Hull, Mikita, and Esposito.

In Montreal you see Richard, Beliveau, Roy, and LaFleur.

In Toronto you see Bower, Sittler, and Kennedy.

In New York you see Richter and Graves. Lol. Granted Leetch and Messier were both elite players. But still.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Edmonton has 5 cups in 5 years. Pittsburgh has 5 in 25. Isles had four straight. It's pretty embarrassing when you think about it. The Rangers have also never ever had the best player in the league. Not at any point. Messier was close. But there was Mario and Gretzky.

When you look up at the Bruins retired numbers you see Bourque, Orr, and Esposito.

In New York you see Richter and Graves. Lol.
This is exactly the thing. You don’t get Mario Lemieuxs in free agency. I’m not in awe of Pittsburgh’s genius in drafting Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin. Kakko was the Rangers’ first top-3 since the 1960s, if not ever.

Also not for the nothing, but the Rangers aren’t the only team that looks out of place on that list lol.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
This is exactly the thing. You don’t get Mario Lemieuxs in free agency. I’m not in awe of Pittsburgh’s genius in drafting Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin. Kakko was the Rangers’ first top-3 since the 1960s, if not ever.

Also not for the nothing, but the Rangers aren’t the only team that looks out of place on that list lol.

Toronto looks out of place a bit too. But not as much as NY.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
LMAO missing the playoffs when the rebuild is completed is definitely worst. You have to be trolling.

Who said anything about the rebuild being complete? We haven't even gotten any real contributions from any of the assets we've acquired in the 2 years since the rebuild started

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

In New York you see Richter and Graves. Lol.

Why did you skip over Leetch when he is right up there with Orr, Bourque, Lidstrom?

What a f***ing dumb post. That would be like saying the Rangers have a better offense than the Leafs, Penguins and Oilers since we have Panarin and Zibanejad and the others have Kapanen and Kerfoot, Rust and Bjugstad, RNH and Archibald.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Why did you skip over Leetch when he is right up there with Orr, Bourque, Lidstrom?

What a f***ing dumb post. That would be like saying the Rangers have a better offense than the Leafs since we have Panarin and Zibanejad and the Leafs have Kerfoot and Kapanen.

He's deserving of having his # retired. HOFer no doubt. Top 10 D ever. But as good as Orr, Lidstrom, and Bourque? No lol.

I was pointing out that the Rangers are by far the weakest original six team. And it's not close.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
He's deserving of having his # retired. HOFer no doubt. Top 10 D ever. But as good as Orr, Lidstrom, and Bourque? No lol.

I was pointing out that the Rangers are by far the weakest original six team. And it's not close.

It's hilarious that people in this thread are saying the Rangers have a massive advantage because Panarin/Fox/Trouba wanted to come play here but conveniently ignore how we were behind the 8 ball for decades with the Canadiens having a stranglehold on all (and the only) good players coming out of Canada.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It's hilarious that people in this thread are saying the Rangers have a massive advantage because Panarin/Fox/Trouba wanted to come play here but conveniently ignore how we were behind the 8 ball for decades with the Canadiens having a stranglehold on all (and the only) good players coming out of Canada.

Okay. Off topic but whatever. Are you seriously going to say Leetch was as good as Orr, Bourque, and Lidstrom?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Okay. Off topic but whatever. Are you seriously going to say Leetch was as good as Orr, Bourque, and Lidstrom?

Hes right there, unless you're just using a magical arbitrary cut off at 3 to be amongst the best defenseman of all time or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad