Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgoat

Jan 3, 2016
Just one and half year ago Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton wrote a letter to Rangers fans that they're bout to go into a rebuild. Now it seems very likely, that Rangers team will be a fine stanley cup competitor for the upcoming years adding key pieces like Panarin and Trouba.

I think they're the fastest team to have done a rebuild. Has any team gone from rebuild to a competitor in so short time?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Fastest in people's heads maybe. Their defense still is mediocre, Lundqvist is still old, their center depth is still lacking, and their forward prospects are still unproven. They're likely not making the playoffs this year let alone being a contender.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
They have stocked up a pool and cashed in on assets like in the most ideal way but one could argue they are repeating mistakes of the old NYR and jumping up to compete when they should try to get more young elite pieces. This talk of them being some contender is crazy and shortsighted.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Does anyone else feel like building around Panarin, Trouba, and Kaako is reminiscent of Toronto building around Kessel Phaneuf and van Riemsdyk?
Obviously the Rangers have Lundqvist and Zibanijad, but the Leafs also had Giguiere and Kaberle.

Point is that the Rangers don't have a 1D and have no established center depth. If the rebuild is already over, then it was a waste.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Does anyone else feel like building around Panarin, Trouba, and Kaako is reminiscent of Toronto building around Kessel Phaneuf and van Riemsdyk?
Obviously the Rangers have Lundqvist and Zibanijad, but the Leafs also had Giguiere and Kaberle.

Point is that the Rangers don't have a 1D and have no established center depth. If the rebuild is already over, then it was a waste.

The rangers players listed are vastly better defensive players than the leaf comps. I don't see the parallels really. Trouba is also a borderline 1 d. Rangers have accumulated some key pieces to be certain. Pretty debatable as to whether the rebuild is totally complete tho.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Depends. They've done a lot of really, really good moves. But are they actually rebuilt now? Do you expect them to go compete for division title this year? Or in the next 1-2 years (without any additional major changes)? We'll have to wait and see.

They have many strong pieces but not sure they're done yet.

It was very fast though, yes.

Reactions: Ibanezrokr

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The rebuild is not yet over IMO we still are short a high end center. We might even have the worst center situation in the entire league, even moreso if Zibanejad was a fluke last season and we dont see major improvement from Chytil/Howden/Andersson, the latter of which I am dangerously close to writing off as a total bust.

Gorton may have jumped the gun here a bit without solving this. Would have been perfectly fine with one last bottom finish to snag Byfield, then we would have been ready to rock. Unless he has one last trick up his sleeves and can somehow land us a young 2c or a blue chip center prospect for a Kreider/Buch package.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I remember when people predicted the ends of the Edmonton, Buffalo, etc rebuilds.

Until the NYR actually demonstrate they're a consistent playoff team / contender, I wouldnt just assume they've accomplished a 1.5 year rebuild.

There is a huge difference between Edmonton and Buffalo and the Rangers. Yes they got McDavid, Eichel and Dahlin but they dug themselves in a 10 foot hole to do so and they're just now half way out of getting back out of it. And they let the losing stink infect their culture, and once you get it on you its damn near impossible to get off.

I know the loser stink when I see it, the Rangers had it on them for awhile in the late 90s through the lockout and were saved by the greatest single season in franchise history by Jagr and Lundqvist coming out of nowhere to get them out of the hole.

And I'm a Jets and Mets fan, they've had the stink on them my entire life.

Brownies

I really really like Kravtsov and Kakko. With Panarin they should have one of the strongest set of wingers very soon. There's too many question marks at other positions (obviously fine short term with Lundqvist) to call that a successfull rebuild. Panarin and Trouba fell on their lap, so good for the Rangers, but they should not make many or any other seemingly "win now" move and keep improving their depth. Buffalo tried to improve too quickly after getting Eichel (maybe not... sort of also gave them Eichel but whatever).

So looks good, but they must be cautious these next two years and not rush anything.

Reactions: egelband

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Rangers need a #2 center. And let their defense prospects develop, especially K’Andre. We have too many puck moving defensemen.

Once that happens 3-4 years down the road. They’ll be in serious cup contention. Until then, they’ll be in and out of the playoffs. Their young kids need experience, especially the goalies.

But we all know things can change, for the better or worse.

As far as rebuild, yeah it’s incredible what Gorton did. Our pool was dry, and we had an aging core. Now we have budding stars, and a pleather of defensemen and goalies.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Aren’t they already over the cap with three players still to sign? So they may have to trade one of their proven forwards to make it fit.

It’s a recipe for disaster if a team relies on too many rookies to step in and play like NHL veterans.

Having any combination of Shattenkirk, Staal and Smith on the defense means they’ll still be a mess defensively this year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It’s a recipe for disaster if a team relies on too many rookies to step in and play like NHL veterans.
Any evidence to back up that claim? Or define "too many", at least? Because if anything, teams were very successful by playing young guys (see the roster of Blues, Tampa, etc.) and overpaying for old guys is where they sink.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Just one and half year ago Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton wrote a letter to Rangers fans that they're bout to go into a rebuild. Now it seems very likely, that Rangers team will be a fine stanley cup competitor for the upcoming years adding key pieces like Panarin and Trouba.

I think they're the fastest team to have done a rebuild. Has any team gone from rebuild to a competitor in so short time?

Shouldn't we wait until they have won a game, or two, before talking about the success of their rebuild?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Winning the 2OA after their decision to tank was of course very lucky.

And getting a top free agent. Getting overpayment for Hayes, also lucky.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->