Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
who is in a better spot going forward, flyers or rangers? break it down by goalie, defense, and forward.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
who is in a better spot going forward, flyers or rangers? break it down by goalie, defense, and forward.

Rangers.

At Forward, the rangers already have two players that are better than any player in current form than anyone the Flyers, and for the Future, the flyers don't have a prospect like Kakko.
At D, the rangers just put essentially three rookies on D and all 3 look to have long-term futures in the NHL, with two already playing at top-pair level. Then they have KA Miller, who could be a unique dynamic force, and Lindkvist, who just broke all kinds of records in the SHL as a 20-y/o.
In Goal, his resume in the NHL was short, but Sheshtys start to his career at the NHL level is borderline historic, but he may be a 'push' with Hart.

Also, the rangers had their pool ranked #1 in nearly every raking this past off season, so they have both the quality and the depth to be a long term problem, and we will again have 2 1sts this year.

The flyers will be good sure, but they are just a notch below.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This was created before the season started and not even by a Ranger fan. Most Rangers fans have been very reasonable about where this team is. Outside of a few flare ups when I see some terribly dumb takes like Igor was a fluke unknown and Fox had a career year.
That makes a lot more sense but it makes the thread stranger still if it's that old :P

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Depends by how long you define "forward." The Flyers have some great young players themselves, and Couturier is still only 27, but Giroux and Voracek at their age have probably started a gradual decline.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Rangers.

At Forward, the rangers already have two players that are better than any player in current form than anyone the Flyers, and for the Future, the flyers don't have a prospect like Kakko.
At D, the rangers just put essentially three rookies on D and all 3 look to have long-term futures in the NHL, with two already playing at top-pair level. Then they have KA Miller, who could be a unique dynamic force, and Lindkvist, who just broke all kinds of records in the SHL as a 20-y/o.
In Goal, his resume in the NHL was short, but Sheshtys start to his career at the NHL level is borderline historic, but he may be a 'push' with Hart.

Also, the rangers had their pool ranked #1 in nearly every raking this past off season, so they have both the quality and the depth to be a long term problem, and we will again have 2 1sts this year.

The flyers will be good sure, but they are just a notch below.

I wonder who you support.

In response, Panarin is obviously the best player on both teams but Couturier is the second. I take our depth at forward, especially in the bottom six. I take our defence overall (NYR don't have a Provorov) and long term i take Hart over Shest purely because of their gap in age right now.

We've got more talent on the roster right now with a pretty decent prospect pool to keep it stocked.

Young proven roster players > Good prospects.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Well, the Flyers look like they may win one within the next 3 years so you've got to go with them, right?

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I wonder who you support.

In response, Panarin is obviously the best player on both teams but Couturier is the second. I take our depth at forward, especially in the bottom six. I take our defence overall (NYR don't have a Provorov) and long term i take Hart over Shest purely because of their gap in age right now.

We've got more talent on the roster right now with a pretty decent prospect pool to keep it stocked.

Young proven roster players > Good prospects.

the queston posed was 'going forward', and the Flyers still have key personnel on the wrong side of 30.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
My vote is for Boston and how Sweeney was able to un-chirelli that team out of cap hell, awful contracts, old team, and zero talent pool. I’ll add that it’s not a complete win as they haven’t won a cup since but I’ll take what they’ve been able to do to fix it .

Reactions: Sevendust

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Every off-season you have a thread proclaiming a younger team will make the jump from bottom-dweller to contender. It's been Buffalo and Florida for 3+ years. Vancouver is entering that same category now and until New York actually makes the playoffs, they are no different.

Love what they have done but there are so many question marks at every position. Can Trouba actually be a #1D? I believe he's more of a #2, and beyond him they are either aging (e.g. Staal, Shatt, etc.), or expecting a lot from inexperienced young players (Fox, ADA, Hajek, etc.) in one of the most difficult positions in hockey. Can Shestyorkin take over for Lundqvist moving forward? The odds suggest that a majority of these prospects will struggle. They also currently can't afford Buchnevich + Lemieux, and Kreider is a UFA at the end of next season.

They might have improved so fast that they won't be able to fix their defence through the draft unless they strike gold in the later rounds, and beyond Kakko, their centre depth is also questionable. I also question the long-term upside of players that come out of the Finnish development system, but Kakko looks closer to Barkov than others, so who knows.
Aside from being able to retain Kreider/Buch/Lemieux, looks like I was bang on with my assessment, especially the Kakko take, which was a pretty unpopular opinion at the time. They've improved, and i'd call this season an overall success (step in the right direction), but there's obvious growing pains.

I'm still a fan of their rebuild template, but fans need to recalibrate their expectations when it comes to rebuilds. More often than not, rebuilds are painfully slow with often unexplainable ups and downs.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
the queston posed was 'going forward', and the Flyers still have key personnel on the wrong side of 30.

We've got Giroux and Voracek who will still be good for 3 years yet. Farabee, Brink and Frost to replace them. No problems there.

Panarin will be 29 when the new season starts...

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
We've got Giroux and Voracek who will still be good for 3 years yet. Farabee, Brink and Frost to replace them. No problems there.

Panarin did not have the NHL wear and tear until he was 23. Makes a big difference.

- NYR have the two best forwards (Panarin & Mika), but Giroux, Voracek and Couts make up a less explosive but equally strong forward group.
- Kakko has not shown me enough to know what type of a player he will be. We know nothing of Kravtsov in the NHL.
- Flyers have an edge on defense. we don't have a Provorov - a guy who patrols the blue line for 26 minutes a game and can harass the likes of Crosby & McDavid.
- Shesterkin might be the best goalie in the league (yes, I know how it sounds, and I may be proven very wrong next year). The edge goes to NYR in the net.

Overall, it's very close and Flyers are better as a team. You can't win in this league without "heavy" players in front (Couts & Jake) and on D (Provy).

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

I take the Flyers because I like Frost and Farabee better than our offensive prospects. And better center depth.

Reactions: 1865

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Panarin did not have the NHL wear and tear until he was 23. Makes a big difference.

- NYR have the two best forwards (Panarin & Mika), but Giroux, Voracek and Couts make up a less explosive but equally strong forward group.
- Kakko has not shown me enough to know what type of a player he will be. We know nothing of Kravtsov in the NHL.
- Flyers have an edge on defense. we don't have a Provorov - a guy who patrols the blue line for 26 minutes a game and can harass the likes of Crosby & McDavid.
- Shesterkin might be the best goalie in the league (yes, I know how it sounds, and I may be proven very wrong next year). The edge goes to NYR in the net.

Overall, it's very close and Flyers are better as a team. You can't win in this league without "heavy" players in front (Couts & Jake) and on D (Provy).

I agree on all except Zib being the second best. Couturier and Giroux are overall better players than him for my money. He needs to repeat this great season to be classed as a better player.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Quoting myself now that the Rangers are out (and someone bumped the thread) so I can do my victory lap. Now the Flyers just need to get to the next round and my prophecy will be fully complete.

I have spoken.

No depth. I don't know how anyone sees that roster and thinks it competes.

I've been laughed at mercilessly by NYR fans who don't believe the Flyers could be better because "they didn't do anything this offseason"...Welp, reality is gonna smack 'em in the face real soon when they're middling in the Metro and Philly hits 2nd round of the playoffs.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
That was even more surprising since they were 4-0 against Carolina in the regular season.
Not really. Regular season means nothing in the playoffs, especially after months of not playing. Any momentum the Rangers had from the season was gone completely and add in how young and inexperienced the roster is, it's not a surprise at all.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah we got some work to do, lol.

I don’t understand how basically every other team in the league—no matter how poorly they are run—is able to draft and develop their own star forwards and the Rangers just...can’t. Stepan and Kreider are the best forwards we’ve drafted since like...Alexei Kovalev.

Reactions: Rangers394
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad