Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
How come nobody is talking about us having two firsts while the Islanders are barely ahead of us and would be a bottom feeder if not for their UNSUSTAINABLE 17 game point streak dont have their 1st or 2nd round picks this year? And traded a 2nd next year for Andy Greene lolllolol

I would probably mention the NYI over the last 2 years have been pretty damm consistent. Last 45 days have been rough, some key injures and poor goaltending hurt them. Isles could sell off some veterans to offset and get some of those magic beans or draft picks back. The blueshirts look good lately but unfortunately they are paper thin on depth. Kakko, Chytil and Kravtsov scares no one around the league

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How come nobody is talking about us having two firsts while the Islanders are barely ahead of us and would be a bottom feeder if not for their UNSUSTAINABLE 17 game point streak dont have their 1st or 2nd round picks this year? And traded a 2nd next year for Andy Greene lolllolol

Yeah, I completely agree. I actually find the Islanders fans on this website to be much more tolerable than a lot of fan bases, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I think their team’s future isn’t heading in the wrong direction. Maybe Sorokin will help change that. Unless he does, I don’t think they’ll be making the playoff in the upcoming few seasons.

What I find worst are the fans that that say things like the Rangers aren’t even a playoff spot. It’s completely missing the point. We weren’t expected to make the playoffs this season, yet we are T7 in ROW and 11th in goal differential with the youngest team in the league. Anyone with any objectivity should be able to admit that’s a team on the rise, regardless if we make the playoffs in a year where 6th and 7th in our division won’t make the playoffs in the East but would do so in the West.

Reactions: bl02

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think they got lucky considering Panarin wanted to play there, so did Trouba (overrated btw), and with previous trades/draft picks and hidden they didn't know about such as Sheshterkyn, and winning the draft lottery. Plus Mika Zibanejad has finally arrived, so I don't think it was much of a rebuild, just the fact they're in New York City, play at MSG and happen to be the New York Rangers.

Thing about Glen Sather was when he was in charge, the Rangers tried way... too hard to be good and would just sign the biggest fish all the time.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How can you possibly read posts from Rangers fans in this thread and think they are delusional
Not delusion, but some people seem to be assuming the team and player development is going to be linear from here on out. Just setting yourselves up for disappointment. Lias was a huge bust, Howden is still young but hasn't progressed at all since his first game, Hajek kind of sucks. Kravtsov was a bumpy ride for a bit but looks back on track for the time being. There's going to be more casualties.

For those shocked and appalled by the thread title given the team is not in the playoffs, i.e. out by 2 points and 16th overall, the OP isn't a Rangers fan, and this thread is from like the offseason (which is honestly crazier than if it were made last week).

The regulation wins/points system is a legit issue, not just for the Rangers. They need to go to a 3-2-1 point system sooner or later. They have 7 more RWs than the Islanders, 6 more than the Blue Jackets (not to mention a better goal differential than both of them,) but are behind them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mamas Mustard

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This is misleading.

We're also 10th in regulation losses. This stat says that we just don't go to overtime a lot, not that we're one of the elite teams.
It doesn't make them elite but the points system is still annoying. Winning a 5v5 hockey game should be worth more than winning 5 minutes of 3v3 or a shootout.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It doesn't make them elite but the points system is still annoying. Winning a 5v5 hockey game should be worth more than winning 5 minutes of 3v3 or a shootout.
Don't get me wrong, it's some bullshit that we have like five more wins than Columbus and they're ahead of us.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Don't get me wrong, it's some bullshit that we have like five more wins than Columbus and they're ahead of us.
3-2-1 wouldn't change anything for every team; Some stay the same, the rest move up/down ~1-3 spots.

But, I think for the current bubble teams, it'd change to:

Team
Curr.
RW
OTW
OTL
New
Chg.
Playoff
PIT​
86​
29​
11​
6​
115​
–​
MET3​
NYR​
79​
31​
6​
5​
110​
+3​
WC1​
FLA​
78​
30​
5​
8​
108​
+3​
WC2​
CAR​
81​
27​
11​
5​
108​
-2​
–​
CBJ​
81​
25​
8​
15​
106​
-2​
–​
NYI​
80​
24​
11​
10​
104​
-2​
–​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So Florida is also getting sort of screwed.

2018-19:
1*zUjrSMd8ckmgLnaz9Ly9ug.png

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is misleading.

We're also 10th in regulation losses. This stat says that we just don't go to overtime a lot, not that we're one of the elite teams.

Definitely did not use the word elite and did not mean to insinuate that. Just saying posts like "they're not even a playoff team" are so stupid, I truly felt based on the Islanders slide and the CBJ injuries having to catch up to them eventually we were so damn close to getting one of those WC spots. Like in an alternate universe where
everything is exactly the same except they are COVID-free, we are in a playoff spot right now. Maybe not for long, as the 4 teams likely would have been in and out and back in then out depending on who got hot for the rest of the season and it would have come down to game 82.

To be fair if CBJ is healthy in this alternate universe they probably blow us out of the water and have one of those WC safely locked down.

No clue what to make of the Islanders, but since their 17 game point streak this has been a pretty ugly season for them.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who didn't know about Igor? Everyone did.

Some of these posts are laughable.

Larry Brooks, whose been on the Rangers beat for nearly 30 years, compared it to the Knicks debut of Bill Bradley in 1967.

Anson Carter, former Ranger and now commentator, said it was the most anticipated Rangers debut since Brian Leetch.

Saying Shestyorkin was some unknown is absurd. Shestyorkin was by far the most hyped debut for a Rangers prospect that I can remember.

Reactions: doomscroll

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Some of these posts are laughable.

Larry Brooks, whose been on the Rangers beat for nearly 30 years, compared it to the Knicks debut of Bill Bradley in 1967.

Anson Carter, former Ranger and now commentator, said it was the most anticipated Rangers debut since Brian Leetch.

Saying Shestyorkin was some unknown is absurd. Shestyorkin was by far the most hyped debut for a Rangers prospect that I can remember.
Agreed, Shestyorkin has been the golden-boy in terms of Rangers prospects for the past three+ years. If you know more than the bare-minimum about the Ranger, you know about Igor.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Teams in pretty good shape but I wouldn't say it's the model rebuild for other teams to follow. Their best Forward (Panarin) and best Dmen (Fox) were both acquired/signed due to the New york factor which other teams don't have. That being said they have a great young core of Dmen and prospects on the way alongside the fact that they have 2 first-round picks which should be used on forwards to help the secondary scoring problems. Think they're in the phase between rebuilding and contending. on the cusp of a playoff spot and should focus on trying to get the younger guys playoff experience which will help them continue to grow.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Yeah, I completely agree. I actually find the Islanders fans on this website to be much more tolerable than a lot of fan bases, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I think their team’s future isn’t heading in the wrong direction. Maybe Sorokin will help change that. Unless he does, I don’t think they’ll be making the playoff in the upcoming few seasons.

What I find worst are the fans that that say things like the Rangers aren’t even a playoff spot. It’s completely missing the point. We weren’t expected to make the playoffs this season, yet we are T7 in ROW and 11th in goal differential with the youngest team in the league. Anyone with any objectivity should be able to admit that’s a team on the rise, regardless if we make the playoffs in a year where 6th and 7th in our division won’t make the playoffs in the East but would do so in the West.
Hmmmmm:huh: but yeah agree :)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Am I missing something??? Are Rangers even a playoff team?
No this is just a really strange thread.
They have not declared an end to the rebuild and are not a playoff team. They are several pieces away and should still be adding. Not sure if Ranger fans just don't have the patience or if it's their management. Either way I think they should have done it properly for a longer lasting foundation. They might make this work but it seems like big market impatience to me if they are in fact done.

Reactions: CaptTeneile

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No this is just a really strange thread.
They have not declared an end to the rebuild and are not a playoff team. They are several pieces away and should still be adding. Not sure if Ranger fans just don't have the patience or if it's their management. Either way I think they should have done it properly for a longer lasting foundation. They might make this work but it seems like big market impatience to me if they are in fact done.

This was created before the season started and not even by a Ranger fan. Most Rangers fans have been very reasonable about where this team is. Outside of a few flare ups when I see some terribly dumb takes like Igor was a fluke unknown and Fox had a career year.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Does anyone else feel like building around Panarin, Trouba, and Kaako is reminiscent of Toronto building around Kessel Phaneuf and van Riemsdyk?
Obviously the Rangers have Lundqvist and Zibanijad, but the Leafs also had Giguiere and Kaberle.

Point is that the Rangers don't have a 1D and have no established center depth. If the rebuild is already over, then it was a waste.
Ooooffffffff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce