Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Or because its the Rangers they had the need to sign the big fish and throw a bunch of money at a free agent, along with throwing some at Trouba already.

What exactly were Panarin's stats vs NYR? He played in the central division his entire career so there can't be that big of a sample size.

I feel like NYR fans hype them up a little bit too much.

12GP 12G 6A 18P +6

Reactions: Tyrus

Evergreen

Flyers were last in 2006-07 and then went to ECF the next year and continued to be successful for several years after.

The rebuild involved trading Zhitnik for Coburn, Forsberg for Upshall, Parent and picks, trading those picks for the rights to Hartnell and Timonen, and acquiring Biron.

Definitely one of the quickest and most impressive turnarounds I’ve seen. And they didn’t even get the benefit of the 1OA pick that year because they got screwed in the draft lottery. Ended up with JVR instead of Kane.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would believe that a lot more if the coach was someone who has shown the ability to improve the team tactically, structurally and skills-wise. Quinn is a good public speaker and motivator, but lacks in the hockey department. I can see exactly why he did a great job of recruiting players to BU, and his teams underachieved.

I also do believe that Kakko will improve, Fox looks to be one of the few exceptions to the problems the team has had and he should continue to improve, and Chytil can’t be worse than what we are icing. But a lot of this will probably also be offset by Kreider being traded. If we gain a top six forward late in the season with Kakko’s development, we’ll lose one with Kreider. Fast looks like a trade candidate in the final year of his deal, I wouldn’t rule out trades for Tony D, Georgiyev, maybe one or two others, as well. I think the improvements we’ll get from younger players adjusting to the league is going to be offset by the rebuild.

And it looks very likely that yet again the team is going to be losing points this season in the coaching department, as well as the player development department, so I’m not exactly convinced things are going to get better in season. The metrics early on have us as the worst team in the league or right there for last. Watching these performances so far, I’d say that’s about right.
Good take on Quinn

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Continue to embarrass yourself if you want, but I never said what you claim I said. Don't know why you're so flabbergasted at being dead wrong ?

You said the Rangers signed The Breadman to keep him off the Islanders... meaning they had no interest in him until the Islanders showed some. You didn't use those words but it was certainly implied. Your post was embarrassing.

I'm done here. Enjoy the rebuild.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think theyve done a nice job with the rebuild but its too early to say what the title said. Although I think it could be somewhat true if they make playoffs. Debate could be had then.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
the rangers actually have had always the fastest rebuild... load up free agents in the offseason, rebuild complete ! sure they may pretend that they develop something but at the end they use their go to move in throwing money at the next free agent... thats why i like them rangers. i really enjoyd their roster with dury, gomez and redden... actually the goat roster was around 2002 with jagr, lindros, bure, kovalev, holik in one team. i wish the nhl would lift the cap just for the rangers so they could proceed with what they do best and give up on that drafting nonsense.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Flyers were last in 2006-07 and then went to ECF the next year and continued to be successful for several years after.

The rebuild involved trading Zhitnik for Coburn, Forsberg for Upshall, Parent and picks, trading those picks for the rights to Hartnell and Timonen, and acquiring Biron.

Definitely one of the quickest and most impressive turnarounds I’ve seen. And they didn’t even get the benefit of the 1OA pick that year because they got screwed in the draft lottery. Ended up with JVR instead of Kane.

Signing Brier to cap it off too.

& I wouldn't say they got "screwed" ... they simply lost the lottery after trying to tank for #1. It happened to Buffalo in 2015.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
the oldest prospects he's drafted since the rebuild started were drafted 2 years ago. Everyone expects young players to make an impact right away when that rarely happens. MacKinnon, who everyone thinks is a top 5 player in the world now was a pretty good-not-great player until his d+4 season. And he was a 1st overall. Same with Barkov. Guys like Point and Kucherov took several years to even make the NHL and become stars. Couturier and Zibanejad were drafted in 2011 and didn't break out until 6-7 years later. McDavid, Matthews, Laine type D+1 "instant elite" players are very rare, even for top 2 picks.

You changed around what I said. The oldest 1st round pick among the five was a pick he acquired. He acquired Howden. I don't mind Howden as much as some others do, but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire right now, and I think there's serious questions whether he has actual top 6 upside, so we might be able to scratch him out of the equation completely from if any of the five become good NHL'ers. This is the point someone is going to tell me that Cirelli, Joseph and Raddysh all must've been off limits for a top 15 defensemen in the NHL, but he chose Howden for the trade, just like he chose Hajek for the trade. Getting bottom half of the league players when trading your captain and best player is poor scouting or development.

As for the others, it's not that its completely unusual that eventual impact players a year or two out from their drafts are still not good NHL'ers, but the fact that you have this glut of them, and none of them are good NHL'ers yet makes it worthwhile to at least start asking these questions. And I'd argue that they misevaluated Andersson by drafting him 7th and they've definitely mishandled Andersson a lot. I think they are also mishandling Kravtsov right now, so I don't see why we have to wait a few extra years to start asking these questions.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
post lock-out, post Thornton trade; the Bruins are pretty much the gold standard of rebuilding during The Cap era.
One bad year, completely revamped roster, back into the playoffs, conference finals and Stanley Cup and one of the powerhouses ever since.
Signed Chara and Savard, traded for Rask, drafted Kessel, Lucic and Marchand and brought Krejci up all in one summer. That's hard to top.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Don't get to see many Ranger games. I thought Buchnevich was highly touted but I dont see much discussion on him. Star potential still?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
post lock-out, post Thornton trade; the Bruins are pretty much the gold standard of rebuilding during The Cap era.
One bad year, completely revamped roster, back into the playoffs, conference finals and Stanley Cup and one of the powerhouses ever since.
Signed Chara and Savard, traded for Rask, drafted Kessel, Lucic and Marchand and brought Krejci up all in one summer. That's hard to top.

Good thing we the brains behind that one golden summer. Though I'm not totally sold on Gorton yet. He still has a long way to go before he can get the bad taste of the Staal trade, the Smith contract and really the whole clusterf*** of the 2017 offseason (not firing AV the second the clock ran out in Game 6 against Ottawa and immediately beginning the rebuild instead of signing Shattenkirk) out of my mouth.

This is also largely the same regime that is responsible for the McIlrath pick and all the atrocious drafting that ensued the following 5+ years.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
2014-15 Leafs (30-44-8):

Kessel
JVR
Bozak
Kadri
Franson
Santorelli
Rielly
Phaneuf
Komarov
Holland
Winnick
Gardiner
Lupul
Panik
Clarkson
Bernier
Reimer

2016-17 Leafs (40-27-15):

Matthews (Kessel)
JVR
Kadri
Nylander (Santorelli?)
Marner (Holland?)

Bozak
Gardiner
Brown (Winnick)
Zaitsev (Phaneuf)
Komarov
Rielly
Andersen (Bernier/Reimer)

And 2 more years later only the bolded remain. Amazing turnover.

Reactions: HabsQC

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Huh?

Neither of those things are a win if the team is awful. If the Rangers are a floundering non-playoff team who cares if Panarin is lightning it up for the Islanders? Why would it be a "win" to not have him doing that?

Why is it a win for him to be one of the highest paid players in the NHL on your bottom dwelling team? How do you characterize that as a win for New York?

Because they signed him to a 7 year deal, and the Rangers will not be a bottom dwelling team for the next 7 years? Their expected window to compete if all works out is as early as next year.

Why would we want Panarin on the Islanders, who are a low scoring team without him, having just came off a second round playoff performance? Do you really think the Rangers and the rest of the division were OK with seeing Barzal and Panarin together in front of a Barry Trotz team for the next 7 years?

How is it NOT a win? Your view is extremely short sighted although you're correct, this year Panarin alone will probably cost the Rangers a draft position or two

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Because they signed him to a 7 year deal, and the Rangers will not be a bottom dwelling team for the next 7 years? Their expected window to compete if all works out is as early as next year.

I love that you're making this claim in a thread filled with Ranger fans this summer telling us the rebuild was complete.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Does anyone else feel like building around Panarin, Trouba, and Kaako is reminiscent of Toronto building around Kessel Phaneuf and van Riemsdyk?
Obviously the Rangers have Lundqvist and Zibanijad, but the Leafs also had Giguiere and Kaberle.

Point is that the Rangers don't have a 1D and have no established center depth. If the rebuild is already over, then it was a waste.

Huh?!?!

And no... those comparisons are not remotely close. Kessel and Panarin is where the comparisons end.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Replace Haley and Smith with Krav and Chytil and it will make a difference.

Need a 2nd line center at some point. Hopefully the defense fixes itself from within moving forward.

But the forward group we are icing right now is a total embarassment and has to stop.

Really? I find it hard to believe kravstov is a difference maker with his one point in 5 ahl games

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If they are. It’s not cause of exceptional management or team building, it’s nice having every single high profile, highly sought after UFA clamoring to play in your city.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't get to see many Ranger games. I thought Buchnevich was highly touted but I dont see much discussion on him. Star potential still?

The offense has 4-5 competent forwards, of which he’s one of them.

The team hasn’t developed a quality forward since, and you can certainly question how they developed him. He’s in year four and is still treated as if he’s a rookie with how little leash he has to turn the puck over.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Good thing we the brains behind that one golden summer. Though I'm not totally sold on Gorton yet. He still has a long way to go before he can get the bad taste of the Staal trade, the Smith contract and really the whole cluster**** of the 2017 offseason (not firing AV the second the clock ran out in Game 6 against Ottawa and immediately beginning the rebuild instead of signing Shattenkirk) out of my mouth.

This is also largely the same regime that is responsible for the McIlrath pick and all the atrocious drafting that ensued the following 5+ years.

There's a dozen teams that are supposed simply compete every year and you guys are one of them. Have the same feeling about Philly and NJ - all three teams in the Metro I thought would surprise this year. Just hasn't worked recently and it makes the league weaker and less fun.
Never sure how much was Gordon or how much was whispered from Chiarelli - but that was a good few months with him in charge. Turned the team around. Think he's doing a solid job but it's starting to drag on. You guys are doing the Winnipeg model of waiting and kinda hoping.

The McIlrath pick was a head scratcher at the time. Weird. Jessiman is the other one but at least that one you could understand.

Still think Leetch gets under-rated as he was one of the smoothest skaters I've seen and was one of the best transition d-men we've gotten to see.
Good luck this year.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
There's a dozen teams that are supposed simply compete every year and you guys are one of them. Have the same feeling about Philly and NJ - all three teams in the Metro I thought would surprise this year. Just hasn't worked recently and it makes the league weaker and less fun.
Never sure how much was Gordon or how much was whispered from Chiarelli - but that was a good few months with him in charge. Turned the team around. Think he's doing a solid job but it's starting to drag on. You guys are doing the Winnipeg model of waiting and kinda hoping.

The McIlrath pick was a head scratcher at the time. Weird. Jessiman is the other one but at least that one you could understand.

Still think Leetch gets under-rated as he was one of the smoothest skaters I've seen and was one of the best transition d-men we've gotten to see.
Good luck this year.

Leetch my all time fav. Disagree about this dragging on though, we are literally 6 games into Kakko's career and 90% of our top prospects are not even NHL ready.

The Trouba and Panarin acquisitions (and to a lesser extent KK and Fox) clouded the reality of the situation, this is still a team less than 2 years into the rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: b in vancouver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad