Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
Talk about jumping the gun. They still stink, defense in particular, is non existent. I’m not sure why they signed Panarin to a huge contract when the team isn’t going to be competitive while he’s in his prime, just totally bizarre decision making there.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
They are not going anywhere as long as that center depth remains atrocious.

Zib is an outstanding player but if that's the only guy you have at that position then you're essentially anchoring the production of your actually decent wingers.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They are not going anywhere as long as that center depth remains atrocious.

Zib is an outstanding player but if that's the only guy you have at that position then you're essentially anchoring the production of your actually decent wingers.
Chytil is tearing up the ahl and is hopefully the future 2C as soon as later this year. Having a 2C helps slot people into more normal roles down the lineup.

Team overall isn’t as bad as they’ve looked so far imo, but saying the rebuild is done over the summer based on a paper lineup was silly

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think a lot of people fail to realize that getting Panarin not only brought in an elite winger without giving up any picks/players, but I have a strong feeling Gorton and co. really didn't want to see him multiple times a year on the Islanders. Keeping him off their roster is just as much of a win for us than having him actually play for us.

Huh?

Neither of those things are a win if the team is awful. If the Rangers are a floundering non-playoff team who cares if Panarin is lightning it up for the Islanders? Why would it be a "win" to not have him doing that?

Why is it a win for him to be one of the highest paid players in the NHL on your bottom dwelling team? How do you characterize that as a win for New York?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chytil is tearing up the ahl and is hopefully the future 2C as soon as later this year. Having a 2C helps slot people into more normal roles down the lineup.

Team overall isn’t as bad as they’ve looked so far imo, but saying the rebuild is done over the summer based on a paper lineup was silly

I really don’t understand this opinion. What could possibly make you think the team is better than they’ve showed? I’d argue they are worse than they’ve showed. 2-4 is generous for the quality of hockey we’ve played. Once our best players have a stretch of weak games, which they haven’t yet done this season, we’ll lose 10 in a row. There’s zero depth.

And something that no one considers is that none of the forward prospects Gorton has picked or acquired and were taken in the first round have proven themselves as good NHL’ers yet. These five forwards were supposed to rebuild our forward core. I’m not saying none of them will eventually be good. I think it’s highly unlikely that at least 1-2 wont become good players, but at some point, you can’t keep relying on potential. It’s entirely possible he has a bad eye for talent, and/or the staff he put in place can’t develop the players properly. Having quantity in high picks doesn’t guarantee they’ll have success. Plenty of players bust. It’s quite worrying that none of them are successes yet.

Reactions: Luminiferous

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Or because its the Rangers they had the need to sign the big fish and throw a bunch of money at a free agent, along with throwing some at Trouba already.

What exactly were Panarin's stats vs NYR? He played in the central division his entire career so there can't be that big of a sample size.

I feel like NYR fans hype them up a little bit too much.
Panarin has had 2 or 3 hat tricks in his career (I think 2), and both were against us. I don't think that was the reason. But him going to the Islanders most likely would have bit us in the ass.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
*checks standings*

No.

Talk about jumping the gun. They still stink, defense in particular, is non existent. I’m not sure why they signed Panarin to a huge contract when the team isn’t going to be competitive while he’s in his prime, just totally bizarre decision making there.

Being finished with a rebuild doesn't mean you're an instant contender. It means you have the pieces in place going forward to develop and become contenders. With that said, no, we are not finished, not even close. Our left side is terrible on defense. We have no center depth position. We're banking on a few prospect hitting their ceiling to give us some center depth, but if it doesn't happen we're back to the drawling board.

You take away Trouba and Panarin and we're a train wreck. Signing them sold some jerseys, and will probably draw better attendance at MSG when we're mid-season and struggling to get wins.

If Panarin wants to come to your team, you try and find room. Unless you're a team that can't spend real money, it makes no sense not to sign a guy like Panarin, regardless what stage of a rebuild you're in.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I watched their game yesterday and yikes to be honest. One thing that stook out was how much Shay.. (Skeji??) has been over rated by rangers fans. He is god awful.

Nah, we've been on Skjei's tail for two years now. He peaked during his rookie year (if that's even possible) and was one of if not our best player during the 2017 playoffs. It's been all downhill since then.

Who do you think best describes an 'average' NHL defenseman?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

I guess the thinking was that Kakko immediately sped up our timeline. Matthews did exactly that for the Leafs, they made the playoffs his rookie year and signed Tavares after year 2.

Kravstov, Chytil, KA Miller cant get here fast enough.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
What exactly were Panarin's stats vs NYR? He played in the central division his entire career so there can't be that big of a sample size.

I feel like NYR fans hype them up a little bit too much.

12GP, 12G, 6A, 18PTS.

Rangers are in his top 10 games played since he was in the same division for two years(which is half his career)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I watched their game yesterday and yikes to be honest. One thing that stook out was how much Shay.. (Skeji??) has been over rated by rangers fans. He is god awful.

Overrated by the Rangers fans? He has been likely our worst D and that is saying a lot with Marc Staal on the team.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

518NYRfan

Jul 10, 2010
Skjei has been bad no doubt, however Staal has been a black hole on defense. If we're going to be a dumpster fire on defense, let Lindgren or Rykov play or move Smith back to D and put an actual forward in the lineup at forward like , oh I dont know, maybe Chytil or Kravtsov? Hell even McKegg or Haley would be better!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I really don’t understand this opinion. What could possibly make you think the team is better than they’ve showed? I’d argue they are worse than they’ve showed. 2-4 is generous for the quality of hockey we’ve played. Once our best players have a stretch of weak games, which they haven’t yet done this season, we’ll lose 10 in a row. There’s zero depth.

And something that no one considers is that none of the forward prospects Gorton has picked or acquired and were taken in the first round have proven themselves as good NHL’ers yet. These five forwards were supposed to rebuild our forward core. I’m not saying none of them will eventually be good. I think it’s highly unlikely that at least 1-2 wont become good players, but at some point, you can’t keep relying on potential. It’s entirely possible he has a bad eye for talent, and/or the staff he put in place can’t develop the players properly. Having quantity in high picks doesn’t guarantee they’ll have success. Plenty of players bust. It’s quite worrying that none of them are successes yet.
Because they look like they don’t know where each other are going to be, don’t have confidence that everyone is on the same page, and they have very green players in multiple important roles on top of huge turnover all throughout the lineup.

As the season wears on, they’ll get more used to the system and the new players and the kids will adapt to the league. I’m not saying they’re even a bubble team but I don’t think they’ll be this outright pathetic all year long. Young players adapt and teams gel as seasons wear on, especially teams with high turnover and many young players.

For your second point, many people consider that and it’s a pretty common topic of discussion on the Rangers board. If you look around those players draft classes, they’re not lagging behind the vast majority of guys taken around them. A handful have blown up and become great players right away as usually happens in any draft class, but most haven’t developed enough to be impact players yet. It’s only worrying if you had wildly unrealistic expectations for them. You can count on potential forever, no, but you can count on it for a reasonable amount of time which we’re still very much in for most if not all of these players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because they look like they don’t know where each other are going to be, don’t have confidence that everyone is on the same page, and they have very green players in multiple important roles on top of huge turnover all throughout the lineup.

As the season wears on, they’ll get more used to the system and the new players and the kids will adapt to the league. I’m not saying they’re even a bubble team but I don’t think they’ll be this outright pathetic all year long. Young players adapt and teams gel as seasons wear on, especially teams with high turnover and many young players.

I would believe that a lot more if the coach was someone who has shown the ability to improve the team tactically, structurally and skills-wise. Quinn is a good public speaker and motivator, but lacks in the hockey department. I can see exactly why he did a great job of recruiting players to BU, and his teams underachieved.

I also do believe that Kakko will improve, Fox looks to be one of the few exceptions to the problems the team has had and he should continue to improve, and Chytil can’t be worse than what we are icing. But a lot of this will probably also be offset by Kreider being traded. If we gain a top six forward late in the season with Kakko’s development, we’ll lose one with Kreider. Fast looks like a trade candidate in the final year of his deal, I wouldn’t rule out trades for Tony D, Georgiyev, maybe one or two others, as well. I think the improvements we’ll get from younger players adjusting to the league is going to be offset by the rebuild.

And it looks very likely that yet again the team is going to be losing points this season in the coaching department, as well as the player development department, so I’m not exactly convinced things are going to get better in season. The metrics early on have us as the worst team in the league or right there for last. Watching these performances so far, I’d say that’s about right.

Reactions: Machinehead

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I would believe that a lot more if the coach was someone who has shown the ability to improve the team tactically, structurally and skills-wise. Quinn is a good public speaker and motivator, but lacks in the hockey department. I can see exactly why he did a great job of recruiting players to BU, and his teams underachieved.

I also do believe that Kakko will improve, Fox looks to be one of the few exceptions to the problems the team has had and he should continue to improve, and Chytil can’t be worse than what we are icing. But a lot of this will probably also be offset by Kreider being traded. If we gain a top six forward late in the season with Kakko’s development, we’ll lose one with Kreider. Fast looks like a trade candidate in the final year of his deal, I wouldn’t rule out trades for Tony D, Georgiyev, maybe one or two others, as well. I think the improvements we’ll get from younger players adjusting to the league is going to be offset by the rebuild.

And it looks very likely that yet again the team is going to be losing points this season in the coaching department, as well as the player development department, so I’m not exactly convinced things are going to get better in season. The metrics early on have us as the worst team in the league or right there for last. Watching these performances so far, I’d say that’s about right.
I very seriously doubt they’re going to move Kreider, Fast, DeAngelo, Georgiev and other players. Whether they should or shouldn’t, I’d bet they don’t. Probably Kreider unless he takes a real discount. Maybe Georgiev if and only if Shesty gets NHL time and looks very comfortable in it. Fast won’t cost much and is a very key player, I’d guess they’ll keep him. Tony D is hard to say.

Coaching aside, there are a lot of new players and a lot of kids. Any team at any level of any sport takes time to gel after this many pieces have been shipped out and brought in. I’m not expecting a huge turnaround, but they’ll get used to each other and the kids will get used to the league if absolutely nothing else.

I don’t think they’re going to keep tearing it down at the pace they have been the last few years. They were talking about playoffs in the offseason, and while I think that’s not realistic, it suggests that they’re expecting a more stable future in terms of player movement.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Ah... the old reading comp. bit. A tried a true reply on this board. Your take is absurd. You missed the net by a country mile.

Continue to embarrass yourself if you want, but I never said what you claim I said. Don't know why you're so flabbergasted at being dead wrong ?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Nah, we've been on Skjei's tail for two years now. He peaked during his rookie year (if that's even possible) and was one of if not our best player during the 2017 playoffs. It's been all downhill since then.

Who do you think best describes an 'average' NHL defenseman?

Yes, you’re right It is Possible to peak during your rookie season as a dman.

Three other decent to good dmen in Tyler Myers, Barett Jackman, Dion Phaneuf? (At one time anyway was good) Are all other dmen in the last decade and a half to peak during their rookie seasons.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

the oldest prospects he's drafted since the rebuild started were drafted 2 years ago. Everyone expects young players to make an impact right away when that rarely happens. MacKinnon, who everyone thinks is a top 5 player in the world now was a pretty good-not-great player until his d+4 season. And he was a 1st overall. Same with Barkov. Guys like Point and Kucherov took several years to even make the NHL and become stars. Couturier and Zibanejad were drafted in 2011 and didn't break out until 6-7 years later. McDavid, Matthews, Laine type D+1 "instant elite" players are very rare, even for top 2 picks.

Reactions: haveandare
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad