Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I think a lot of people fail to realize that getting Panarin not only brought in an elite winger without giving up any picks/players, but I have a strong feeling Gorton and co. really didn't want to see him multiple times a year on the Islanders. Keeping him off their roster is just as much of a win for us than having him actually play for us.

The Rangers were in kind of a weird spot because yes they were (and are) 100% committed to the rebuild, but when a player like Panarin becomes available for just cap space and your division rival offers him $10.5x7 or whatever it was reported to be, if you have the cap space to get him you absolutely have to do it. So whether they wanted to or not Panarin kind of became a necessity and in my mind is what got everyone talking about accelerating the rebuild. And it's true; he can win games almost by himself and he and Zibanejad have been money (literally) so far. They have the potential to be one of the top lines in the league up there with Tampa/Boston/Edmonton if they can continue at their current pace. The current problem is that the highly touted young players have collectively been a let down SO FAR this year (note the emphasis on SO FAR). Chytil and Kravtsov not making the team out of camp was a big surprise (not so much Kravstov but Chytil was shocking; he'll be back up though) and Howden, Lemieux, and Kakko have been somewhat underwhelming so far. Andersson will never be able to make an impact until Quinn de-anchors him from the 4th line but I don't think it'll be long before you see him in the 2C spot and in fact I'm really surprised it hasn't happened yet. Howden's game is much more suited to a checking role than Andersson although LA has made huge strides defensively.

Overall, I'm not worried about this team; the rebuild isn't over and they have the prospects/picks available if need be to acquire a 2C if that's the route they want to go. Which I'm 99.9% certain is not what they'll be doing this year; they'll give long looks to Howden/Andersson/Strome/Chytil in that 2C spot until one of them can become a 2C and if that doesn't happen I could see them making a move in the offseason to get one
This is the hottest take I've read in a while.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
This is the hottest take I've read in a while.

Shouldn't be..Panarin was a ranger killer prior to coming over. Not too far of a stretch to believe that avoiding that situation to a cross town rival for the next 7 season would be a factor in wanting to sign him

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
They are 29th with one of the lowest producing offenses in the league... Looks like they are very clearly still rebuilding.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The NYR team is still very weak in depth and still has albatross contracts like Staal's on the roster (hint: he should've retired already), but it's not all on NYR. They started out really hot and poured in goals. Then the famed NHL scheduling set in and they didn't play any games for an eternity. Then they faced Oilers in their 3rd game after a ridiculously long rest and looked rusty, while Oilers were in total game mode.

When NYR was ready to play their 4th game, most teams had played 7-8. Their hot streak was completely gone and the team looked rusty, rightfully so. NHL players need to play to keep in the game flow. This scheduling made the Rangers start their real NHL season like half a month after all the other teams.

The team is still flawed, but they would've had at least a chance to keep their hot streak if not for stupid scheduling.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Quinn and Gorton were not JDs guys and the off season moves were made to not only continue the rebuild and keep Panarin off Long Island, but also to improve this seasons results in the standings. They will need to be competitive IMO and show results.

While it is still way too early to rush to any judgements on where the Rag$ and any other team will finish this season, it will be interesting to see if Gorton and Quinn make it to through the season if the Rangers are out of it by January.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Quinn and Gorton were not JDs guys and the off season moves were made to not only continue the rebuild and keep Panarin off Long Island, but also to improve this seasons results in the standings. They will need to be competitive IMO and show results.

While it is still way too early to rush to any judgements on where the Rag$ and any other team will finish this season, it will be interesting to see if Gorton and Quinn make it to through the season if the Rangers are out of it by January.

It won't be interesting to see at all, neither of them are going anywhere no matter where the team finishes this year

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
way too early but one has to wonder is some of these kids they drafted the last few years are kind of hyped up somewhat. Time will tell obviously. NYC fans can be impatient so a rebuild will test all involved.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Looks like we were the offseason Champions. The Rangers rebuild has just started. It's nowhere near done.

We are terrible. Zero secondary scoring, defense is still bad, average goaltending, none of the NHL rookies like instant impact players. No cap space, as well, heading to next season. Too many people were willing to crown Jeff Gorton because he acquired a lot of quantity in futures assets, and made two splashy roster moves.

You have no quality vets to supoort the kids in the bottom9.

As long as the C core is as bad as it is Rangers aren't going any where.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Just one and half year ago Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton wrote a letter to Rangers fans that they're bout to go into a rebuild. Now it seems very likely, that Rangers team will be a fine stanley cup competitor for the upcoming years adding key pieces like Panarin and Trouba.

I think they're the fastest team to have done a rebuild. Has any team gone from rebuild to a competitor in so short time?

Yes, Vegas from nothing to Stanley Cup finalists in their very first year

Reactions: Basement Cat

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Its still progressing,but it looks to be headed in the right direction...Being properly funded is huge,going to ground zero without funding turns years into decades

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The Rangers spent money to own the Isles? Is that what I read in here?

It isn't working btw.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Shouldn't be..Panarin was a ranger killer prior to coming over. Not too far of a stretch to believe that avoiding that situation to a cross town rival for the next 7 season would be a factor in wanting to sign him
So you're saying the only reason the rangers had interest was to keep him off the Islanders. Hilarious.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They are 29th with one of the lowest producing offenses in the league... Looks like they are very clearly still rebuilding.
18th if you go by goals per game. They played 6 games so far. But I agree they don't have a lot of offense weapons on their team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You've become rather annoying. It's probably on purpose but maybe you can try to limit coming into a thread to shit on NYR and start worrying about your own team...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think a lot of people fail to realize that getting Panarin not only brought in an elite winger without giving up any picks/players, but I have a strong feeling Gorton and co. really didn't want to see him multiple times a year on the Islanders. Keeping him off their roster is just as much of a win for us than having him actually play for us.

The Rangers were in kind of a weird spot because yes they were (and are) 100% committed to the rebuild, but when a player like Panarin becomes available for just cap space and your division rival offers him $10.5x7 or whatever it was reported to be, if you have the cap space to get him you absolutely have to do it. So whether they wanted to or not Panarin kind of became a necessity and in my mind is what got everyone talking about accelerating the rebuild. And it's true; he can win games almost by himself and he and Zibanejad have been money (literally) so far. They have the potential to be one of the top lines in the league up there with Tampa/Boston/Edmonton if they can continue at their current pace. The current problem is that the highly touted young players have collectively been a let down SO FAR this year (note the emphasis on SO FAR). Chytil and Kravtsov not making the team out of camp was a big surprise (not so much Kravstov but Chytil was shocking; he'll be back up though) and Howden, Lemieux, and Kakko have been somewhat underwhelming so far. Andersson will never be able to make an impact until Quinn de-anchors him from the 4th line but I don't think it'll be long before you see him in the 2C spot and in fact I'm really surprised it hasn't happened yet. Howden's game is much more suited to a checking role than Andersson although LA has made huge strides defensively.

Overall, I'm not worried about this team; the rebuild isn't over and they have the prospects/picks available if need be to acquire a 2C if that's the route they want to go. Which I'm 99.9% certain is not what they'll be doing this year; they'll give long looks to Howden/Andersson/Strome/Chytil in that 2C spot until one of them can become a 2C and if that doesn't happen I could see them making a move in the offseason to get one

Or because its the Rangers they had the need to sign the big fish and throw a bunch of money at a free agent, along with throwing some at Trouba already.

What exactly were Panarin's stats vs NYR? He played in the central division his entire career so there can't be that big of a sample size.

way too early but one has to wonder is some of these kids they drafted the last few years are kind of hyped up somewhat. Time will tell obviously. NYC fans can be impatient so a rebuild will test all involved.

I feel like NYR fans hype them up a little bit too much.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yep. We need a lot of things to go right for us to get back in the 2020 playoff picture.

Above all, given it is the most important position in the sport, not only do we need Zibanejad to prove last year was not a fluke, we need him to build on that and even take another step. Along with that we need one of Chytil, Howden or Andersson to have giant progress in their development.

Our defense is also a huge question mark. All eyes now on Trouba as the unquestioned #1D, hopefully he is ready for the pressure that comes with it. Skjei also needs to have a big bounce back season to live up to his contract and prove he can be a top 4 d we can build around moving forward. DeAngelo also has to fully establish himself as a top offensive puck mover, we bought out Shattenkirk for his benefit. Who knows what is going to happen with Fox, Hajek and Lindgren but I'm sure there will be a ton of growing pains there.

Zibanejad has been good so far but 70% of his points have come from the first two games. Based on his 11 points, he's getting a little too much hype despite what I said earlier, that majority of his points have come in the first two games. Consistency is key.

Oil made the playoffs in 2017 so it reset.

It did not. 2017 was just a fluke year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad