Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, after they made the playoffs twice in a row, while the Sabres were the first team to finish 31st. Maybe look at the polls around the time the Leafs drafted Matthews.

Those are wiped from the site's history, but you've got a fair point that Buffalo never had any business above 40% in that poll that was made at the end of last season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Make the playoffs, which will still be really tough.

Toronto basically went into rebuild mode at the end of 2014-15 and then made the playoffs in 2016-17. Now, you can say they sucked previously, which I'll agree with, but it wasn't constructed as an organized rebuild. Firstly, they traded 2 firsts to get Kessel because Burke didn't believe in a teardown, then after we lucked out making the playoffs in 2012/13 during the shortened season, we made moves to build around that flawed core which then completely screwed us. I guess it depends on when you define a rebuild starting.

Reactions: Voight

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No depth. I don't know how anyone sees that roster and thinks it competes.

I've been laughed at mercilessly by NYR fans who don't believe the Flyers could be better because "they didn't do anything this offseason"...Welp, reality is gonna smack 'em in the face real soon when they're middling in the Metro and Philly hits 2nd round of the playoffs.
I find this hard to believe.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Those are wiped from the site's history, but you've got a fair point that Buffalo never had any business above 40% in that poll that was made at the end of last season.
Yeah, that is obviously annoying. I get the reason why people voted against the Leafs then, but Leafs came out of full-tear down rebuild mode pretty quickly because they kept some of the better assets, and then drafted well with their 3 top 10 picks between 2014-2016. I don't think anyone thought we had a good shot at making the playoffs until mid-way through the 2016/17 season, and I obviously get the skepticism.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, thats not it. Its lost in the HF server change.

The server change is a damn shame.

Yeah, that is obviously annoying. I get the reason why people voted against the Leafs then, but Leafs came out of full-tear down rebuild mode pretty quickly because they kept some of the better assets, and then drafted well with their 3 top 10 picks between 2014-2016. I don't think anyone thought we had a good shot at making the playoffs until mid-way through the 2016/17 season, and I obviously get the skepticism.

To be fair, that poll was made before July 1st, 2018. On that day, Buffalo lost a #1 center, Toronto gained one, and nobody else lost or gained anything else of significance. I'm sure if you made it on July 2nd, or especially now, it would be locked for a lopsided result in favor of Toronto.

Anyhow, I'll bring this back on topic by emphasizing the mistake made by the >40% who voted for Buffalo in that poll. You can't declare that a rebuild is done, or complete, until a team has successfully proven they are a bonafide playoff team with underlying factors that show their success is sustainable. Even Edmonton appeared to be finished with their rebuild in 2017, but there were a lot of factors that suggested that wasn't sustainable: their goaltender who isn't a HOF caliber goalie had a Vezina level season, their core players all maintained nearly perfect health, they got 27 goals out of Patrick Maroon, they traded their 3rd leading scorer at the end of that season. Yet HF voted that they were the 2nd Cup favorite behind Pittsburgh in a now infamous pre-season poll.

New York added some really nice pieces in Panarin, Kakko, and Trouba, but they have some pretty ugly depth at forward and their defense isn't very good either. They'll be an exciting young team to watch and I do like them, but I don't see success in their future; especially not if they decide to trade Chris Kreider.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No depth. I don't know how anyone sees that roster and thinks it competes.

I've been laughed at mercilessly by NYR fans who don't believe the Flyers could be better because "they didn't do anything this offseason"...Welp, reality is gonna smack 'em in the face real soon when they're middling in the Metro and Philly hits 2nd round of the playoffs.

Hmm.. I've been pretty realistic about where the Rangers are with their rebuild in this thread and also have predicted the Flyers to win the Metro this season

Your bold predictions for the coming season

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
No #1C, no #1D and a 87 year old goalie. This isn't a complete rebuild by any means.

The Flyers went from last overall to the conference finals in a year. That's a fast rebuild.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
No #1C, no #1D and a 87 year old goalie. This isn't a complete rebuild by any means.

The Flyers went from last overall to the conference finals in a year. That's a fast rebuild.
Zibanejad is a 1C and we have the best goalie prospect in hockey (Shestyorkin) as well as Georgiev who was our starter by the end of the season who’s only 23. We don’t have a 1D (yet) but Trouba is a solid 2D and we have probably the deepest defensive pool in the NHL highlighted by K’Andre Miller and Adam Fox

Reactions: haveandare

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Zibanejad is a 1C and we have the best goalie prospect in hockey (Shestyorkin) as well as Georgiev who was our starter by the end of the season who’s only 23. We don’t have a 1D (yet) but Trouba is a solid 2D and we have probably the deepest defensive pool in the NHL highlighted by K’Andre Miller and Adam Fox

21aqbc.jpg

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
You really might want to reevaluate that stance that all of that is wrong. Ziabnejad is a #1 center, and quite easily. Shestyerkin is the best G prospect out there. He has dominated the KHL for years. Some transition time between Hartford and MSG will be in order, but the kid is flat out the best goalie yet to play in the NHL.

The only thing that is subjective is the last statement and I'd still be hard to find another team that has the quality and depth of the Rangers defensive prospects:

Miller, Lundkvist, Hajek, Fox, Rykov, Robertson, Reunanen, Lindgren.

There are a few other long shots out there, but the Rangers have close to 10 players in their defensive pool that have decent odds to be NHL players. The first 5 players mentioned above have a shot to all be in the NHL by next season and three have a good shot to be there this season.

Reactions: egelband

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Does anyone else feel like building around Panarin, Trouba, and Kaako is reminiscent of Toronto building around Kessel Phaneuf and van Riemsdyk?
Obviously the Rangers have Lundqvist and Zibanijad, but the Leafs also had Giguiere and Kaberle.

Point is that the Rangers don't have a 1D and have no established center depth. If the rebuild is already over, then it was a waste.

My first thought was of the Minnesota Wild when they signed Suter and Parise.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I suppose we will find out when their rebuild is actually finished.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Maybe... maybe we should wait to see if they're actually good before making this claim?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
You really might want to reevaluate that stance that all of that is wrong. Ziabnejad is a #1 center, and quite easily. Shestyerkin is the best G prospect out there. He has dominated the KHL for years. Some transition time between Hartford and MSG will be in order, but the kid is flat out the best goalie yet to play in the NHL.

The only thing that is subjective is the last statement and I'd still be hard to find another team that has the quality and depth of the Rangers defensive prospects:

Miller, Lundkvist, Hajek, Fox, Rykov, Robertson, Reunanen, Lindgren.

There are a few other long shots out there, but the Rangers have close to 10 players in their defensive pool that have decent odds to be NHL players. The first 5 players mentioned above have a shot to all be in the NHL by next season and three have a good shot to be there this season.

Zib is a lower end #1C i guess, but he's not the type you win the cup with as your top line C. A prospect goalie isn't a sign of a completed rebuild and neither is a stocked pipe of D-men.

The Flyers young D beats the Rangers though, the only defence for this is that some of ours have graduated:

Provorov, Myers, Sanheim, York, Friedman, Ginning, Hogberg, Morin, Zamula...

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Provorov, Myers, Sanheim, York, Friedman, Ginning, Hogberg, Morin, Zamula...

The first two are not prospects. If you're going to throw them in, DeAngelo and Skjei are added to the Rangers list.

As for Morin, the dude is 24 and still cannot secure a spot on a team that was rolling out Andrew MacDonald on defense. Guy is a borderline bust of a player.

York and Myers are nice pieces. At least 3 guys you put on this list had similar seasons to Sean Day or a Darren Raddysh, and neither of those guys are mentioned in my post because they are much further down the list of players.

Not to mention, it's not just Rangers fans saying they have a stacked set of blueline prospects. At least be realistic. You could have gone the Colorado route due to the elite nature of Byram and Makar with Timmins not far behind, but they don't have the same depth behind them.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
It's not. If Lundqvist is shot this year, Georgiev showed last year he's ready to handle more. He's at worst a good backup, at best he's an average starter with potential to become very good.

Then we have Shestyorkin who's already lit up a pro league and is likely ready for the nhl by December, if not now
Speaking of these Russian super prospects, both Sorokin and Shestyorkin are on stacked KHL teams and are facing very minimal shots every night (18 and 23 respectively). Let's wait until these guys come over to NA and can show they can play at a high level in the NHL first

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
The first two are not prospects. If you're going to throw them in, DeAngelo and Skjei are added to the Rangers list.

As for Morin, the dude is 24 and still cannot secure a spot on a team that was rolling out Andrew MacDonald on defense. Guy is a borderline bust of a player.

York and Myers are nice pieces. At least 3 guys you put on this list had similar seasons to Sean Day or a Darren Raddysh, and neither of those guys are mentioned in my post because they are much further down the list of players.

Not to mention, it's not just Rangers fans saying they have a stacked set of blueline prospects. At least be realistic. You could have gone the Colorado route due to the elite nature of Byram and Makar with Timmins not far behind, but they don't have the same depth behind them.

I don't really know what you're arguing with me about. I'm saying it's not a rebuild whilst these are all prospects. If they graduate and they're good then fine, but they haven't. To go back and slightly amend my point: a low-end #1C, no #1D and an ancient goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad