Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They look greatly improved. But NYR has the benefit of being a top FA destination as well as getting lucky in the lottery. So that helps a lot.

Still it’s a fast-tracked rebuild which brings some issues. Some parts of the team will be rookies, some will be a bit old and declining(Lundqvist), some will be new players that may or may not fit in (Trouba, Panarin). There is potential there but I could easily see them being a middle of the pack team rather than one that rises to the top.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Why would anyone assume the rebuild is over?

NYR are now cap strapped and their goaltending could implode at any given time.

Trouba might not work as a #1 Dman.

Kakko might be a bust.

Panarin could run into injury problems.

The rebuild is not over until they put together consecutive successful seasons.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone with 0 concern over the Rangers goaltending situation is kidding themselves. It’s a major concern.

What is a major concern about it?

We have the best goalie prospect in the world and he's ready to be a top 20 goalie in the NHL this season, if he's given enough playing time. And I'm sure we'll get the "goalie prospects are voodoo" narrative. 23 year olds who have a history of being elite at every level they've ever played at are not voodoo.

The only concern would be that Lundqvist continues to decline, and he plays more than he should due to his contract.

Kaapo Takko

Oct 13, 2015
Finland
Yeah Zibanejad is so good that hes not even better than the Devils 2C. :laugh:

Hall, Hughes, Hischier, Subban, Palmieri
Vs
Kakko, Panarin, Zibanejad, Kravtsov and Trouba

I dont think its that close. Wingers are much easier to come by than Cs.

Zibanejad is better than any devils center right now, it might change but right now it's Zbad. There's also a possibility for Kakko or Kravtsov to play at center.

Edit: Don't forget Chytil, Andersson and Howden. They still have potential, it's not like they're busts after one season at 19-20.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats laughable

Lundqvist has been much better than 1B in his career. Georgiyev is 23 years with a .915 through 43 career games. Is he going to get worse? Shestyorkin is the best goalie prospect in the league. Does the best goalie prospect in the world not have 1B potential? What's laughable about it?

Thats before you get to any of our goalie prospects. We have 3 prospects that all have potential to be NHL'ers. It's hard to say of what caliber, but there's nothing laughable about it.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Lundqvist has been much better than 1B in his career. Georgiyev is 23 years with a .915 through 43 career games. Is he going to get worse? Shestyorkin is the best goalie prospect in the league. Does the best goalie prospect in the world not have 1B potential? What's laughable about it?

Thats before you get to any of our goalie prospects. We have 3 prospects that all have potential to be NHL'ers. It's hard to say of what caliber, but there's nothing laughable about it.
What does Lundqvist’s entire career have to do with his next season?... And a goaltenders potential in Shestyorkin doesnt mean hes coming in at a 1B level next season.

That poster claimed they dont have a goalie below 1B and its simply not true lol, Georgiev and Shest are both backups and Lundqvist may be now too

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey at least you guys didn't pay Hayes 7 million per year :facepalm:

If we had the cap space available Chevy would have given Hayes 8.5 million.

giphy.gif

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What does Lundqvist’s entire career have to do with his next season?... And a goaltenders potential in Shestyorkin doesnt mean hes coming in at a 1B level next season.

That poster claimed they dont have a goalie below 1B and its simply not true lol, Georgiev and Shest are both backups and Lundqvist may be now too

He didn't clarify whether he meant for this season or their careers/upcoming seasons, so you are speculating there.

Why are you saying that Shestyorkin doesn't come in as 1B, likely because you believe he hasn't proved himself in the NHL yet, but you've already decided he's a back up for next season? That would seem to be very contradictory. Georgiyev is not a back up statistically either.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Careful you'll get accused of not knowing anything if you don't agree that their prospect pool is top 3 I the league
Lol oh i know. Been on here for over a decade. Flyers and Habs fans are even more protective about their prospects so be even more careful around them

Reactions: Voight

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Yeah Zibanejad is so good that hes not even better than the Devils 2C. :laugh:

Hall, Hughes, Hischier, Subban, Palmieri
Vs
Kakko, Panarin, Zibanejad, Kravtsov and Trouba

I dont think its that close. Wingers are much easier to come by than Cs.

At the moment Zibanejad is better than Hischier and Hughes. Obviously they'll surpass him soon enough

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I’m happy for the rangers tbh, but I have to say I hope that Fox busts after forcing his way out of two teams.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Rebuild is over? they have arguably the worst or 2nd worst roster in the metro...

Good, I hope we actually do, then we can draft our franchise center at the top of the 2020 draft and then we will really be ready to rock.

Then and only then is the rebuild officially over (barring a miracle breakout season from Chytil).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think it's done, but it's certainly off to a fantastic start.

However they have to find a new #1 goalie and they have to add deprh down the middle

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Good, I hope we actually do, then we can draft our franchise center at the top of the 2020 draft and then we will really be ready to rock.

Then and only then is the rebuild officially over (barring a miracle breakout season from Chytil).
lol

Drafting top players is good and all, but you have to actually DEVELOP those players. See: the Edmonton Oilers.

Even if the Rangers do get another top pick next draft they will still have to wait til those players develop. The rebuild is off to a good start, but the competitive window is still several years away.

Reactions: Voight

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
lol

Drafting top players is good and all, but you have to actually DEVELOP those players. See: the Edmonton Oilers.

Even if the Rangers do get another top pick next draft they will still have to wait til those players develop. The rebuild is off to a good start, but the competitive window is still several years away.

And I guess you need a Hart Trophy winger to trade for a top 4 RHD right?

Because "See: Edmonton Oilers".

Also why aren't you in the Devils thread telling them that they will have to wait for Hughes to develop? It seems as if most of them in that thread are penciling themselves in for a playoff spot this season.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I think NJD had a faster rebuild. They have a 1C, 1W, 1W and they have kids like Boqvist, McLoed, etc coming in for depth.

How is it faster when they have been rebuilding for much longer? You like their players more, fine. Doesn't meet the criteria though.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pretty f***ing easy to rebuild when top tier free agents are clamoring to play in your city. I wouldn't give the GM too much credit.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Just one and half year ago Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton wrote a letter to Rangers fans that they're bout to go into a rebuild. Now it seems very likely, that Rangers team will be a fine stanley cup competitor for the upcoming years adding key pieces like Panarin and Trouba.

I think they're the fastest team to have done a rebuild. Has any team gone from rebuild to a competitor in so short time?

The fastest rebuild I ever saw was when Rutherford took over for the Pens. In 1 1/2 years he totally transformed the entire lineup. If you look at the starters from 2013-14 season the year before Rutherford took over and then the team that won the 2015-16 Cup only 6 starters remained Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, Maatta, and Fleury. Fleury was even the backup goalie sitting on the bench for that Cup run playing only one playoff game which he lost. So changing 9 starting forwards, 4 defenseman, and starting goalie in a year and a half has to be the fastest turnover in a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad