Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why would anyone assume the rebuild is over?

NYR are now cap strapped and their goaltending could implode at any given time.

Trouba might not work as a #1 Dman.

Kakko might be a bust.

Panarin could run into injury problems.

The rebuild is not over until they put together consecutive successful seasons.

Thank you.

Sure they added some good players this off season but the rebuild isnt "over" until you make the playoffs consecutively.... ask EDM about that if you need clarification.

Adding some good players does not = rebuild being done; its part of the rebuild. Its not like Panarin chose them because he is going to be the final/missing piece.... he just wanted to live in Manhattan.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The fastest rebuild I ever saw was when Rutherford took over for the Pens. In 1 1/2 years he totally transformed the entire lineup. If you look at the starters from 2013-14 season the year before Rutherford took over and then the team that won the 2015-16 Cup only 6 starters remained Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, Maatta, and Fleury. Fleury was even the backup goalie sitting on the bench for that Cup run playing only one playoff game which he lost. So changing 9 starting forwards, 4 defenseman, and starting goalie in a year and a half has to be the fastest turnover in a long while.

Thats a retool. Rebuild would imply he razed the team to the ground and started fresh, in this case his team still made the playoffs but he was still able to make moves and build it his way.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
They're not done yet. But at this point they're only about the 6th or 7th best team in their own division.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
NY was going to be a faster rebuild naturally because of the location. For alot of younger players its on their top of their list of cities to play. The Rangers have benefitted from 2/3 top prospects basically holding out just to sign with them. In addition, benefitting from a guy like Trouba being willing to sign there after a trade

The Rangers have done a lot of good things, cant take that away from them. They have also used the allure of the Big Apple to the fullest impact. An area where I would say Toronto failed to capitalize on prior to Tavares. They were favourable hand being a top city in the US for young professionals and have played their cards very effectively

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Good, I hope we actually do, then we can draft our franchise center at the top of the 2020 draft and then we will really be ready to rock.

Man, you throw the phrase "franchise center" around a lot, like there's plenty of them out there and you can just go out and find one in any draft with a top-10 pick.

Their future would be pretty bright if they happened upon a good, somewhat sizable young 2-way center with serious offensive pop and a short development curve. Not that those go on trees.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Man, you throw the phrase "franchise center" around a lot, like there's plenty of them out there and you can just go out and find one in any draft with a top-10 pick.

Their future would be pretty bright if they happened upon a good, somewhat sizable young 2-way center with serious offensive pop and a short development curve. Not that those go on trees.

If we are drafting at the top of the 2020 draft I absolutely expect the center we get to be our franchise center, such as Byfield.

Not expecting a generational talent like Crosby or McDavid obviously.

And I throw it around a lot because it's the one thing we've been missing for 20+ years and cost us a Cup in 2012-15, so I'm expecting the Rangers learn from their mistakes this time around.

Missing out on the 2003 draft really killed us. Imagine a prime Mike Richards leading that 2012 team, or an 87 point Ryan Getzlaf in the 2014 SCF to go ahead against Kopitar, or a Selke Patrice Bergeron leading us into Game 7 of the 2015 ECF against Tampa..

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If we are drafting at the top of the 2020 draft I absolutely expect the center we get to be our franchise center, such as Byfield.

Not expecting a generational talent like Crosby or McDavid obviously.

And I throw it around a lot because it's the one thing we've been missing for 20+ years and cost us a Cup in 2012-15, so I'm expecting the Rangers learn from their mistakes this time around.

Missing out on the 2003 draft really killed us. Imagine a prime Mike Richards leading that 2012 team, or an 87 point Ryan Getzlaf in the 2014 SCF to go ahead against Kopitar, or a Selke Patrice Bergeron leading us into Game 7 of the 2015 ECF against Tampa..

Might wanna temper your expectations a bit, re: Draft pick placement, prospect certainty, etc. 2003 draft was a pretty rare event.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
Just read through this whole thing. Before I start im a diehard NYR fan but im gonna put in my 2 cents.

The center depth is terrible, I just dont see Zibby as a legit number 1 center. He may have shown it last year but this year will prove me either right or wrong. Imho Lias Andersson is a bust and I cant see Ryan Strome ever being a legit number 2. This is where the 2 wildcard players come in. IMHO I think Brett Howden has a very high ceiling and I'm hoping he can turn some heads this year. Then you have Filip Chytil and even though I like him too, I just see him being an LW when its all said and done. But this is where its really gonna hurt them this year and why I wouldnt mind getting back into the lottery or pulling a Boston Kessel type fleece deal with Kreider to do so. Quinton Byfeild I think will be the answer to their center depth problems. I know everyone on here is mentioning about Kakko being a center but he's not.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Call this sour grapes because they bent us over a barrel twice but they are going to be one of those teams in a weird spot.

By the time their prospects will be contributing, their top top top tier goalie will be 40+ and they don't usually last to long from there. Plus, over the next 2 seasons, lots of guys contracts will be up. Now that can be super useful when it's a guy like Staal who's contract sucks but they still need to be replaced.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I remember when people predicted the ends of the Edmonton, Buffalo, etc rebuilds.

Until the NYR actually demonstrate they're a consistent playoff team / contender, I wouldnt just assume they've accomplished a 1.5 year rebuild.
I remember a poll thread. Who would you rather be going forward, Toronto or Buffalo. Buffalo had about 150 votes Toronto had like 30, the thread was closed due to being such a landslide. Fans of other teams came out to shit on them but just made themselves look like clowns in hindsight.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Plenty of people keep bringing up that Trouba and Panarin wanted to come here and then say they have no solution at center. Who is to say, with the current selection of prospects available and in the system for the foreseeable future, that they would not be able to trade for one?

O'Reilly solved a lot of problems for the Blues. They also traded for Schenn and signed Bozak. To me, they have this season, and possibly some of the next season to situate themselves to be contenders. If the younger current players that will be filling in the middle 6 C role on this team (Andersson, Chytil, and Howden), don't show over the next 120 games that they are taking the next steps to be a top 6 center or more, they will have the firepower to go get one or sign one, including moving those players to a team that could have some more patience at that point. That's hoping we're in a spot to be a top 10 team in the league.

On top of the current cap crunch is the fact that in a few seasons (pending a buyout now) they will have a lot of money coming off the books for players unlikely to return and won't be paid nearly what they currently are: Smith (4.35), Staal (5.7), Shattenkirk (6.65) and Lundqvist (8.5). That money will be used to fill in for the RFA deals they'll have to make with anyone that isn't debuting this season, sans Shestyerkin.

If we can get some cap increases, it'll just add to the salary we could add then. There will be some more ELCs coming to provide support for paying some of the other players on our team. Whether it is adding a contract of a player that wants out of his current situation or a team that is looking to hard reset and move a top end player because of their new timeline, this team will have the assets to make the move and the future cap space to take in a player on a nice sized deal.

All the being said, this team will struggle in their own zone this season, but not as much as the year prior. Pionk out was a positive thing in general, but Trouba replacing him is surreal. Hopefully limiting Staal's minutes (with him being scratched at times) while getting our young LHD (Hajek or Rykov) some time will be of benefit. Smith will get waived and play out this year in Hartford. Same goes for making sure Fox and DeAngelo get their time on the right side and Shattenkirk not blocking them. Fox probably starts in the AHL and gets 35 AHL games under his belt before coming up. If Shattenkirk can re-establish some value in that time, he's a TDL trade candidate for a team needing a RHD that can help run their PP. Could be another asset coming back in that type of move.

While the team isn't in the strip it down to the bones mode of a rebuild, it is in the develop draft/acquired players mode for at least 82 games. This becomes the more difficult part, but brings the excitement level of the fanbase up 3 or 4 notches as you begin to see the fruits of the last two seasons of frustrating hockey become young players making plays and mistakes. You can get past the mistakes from the learning player, not the veteran.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
The fastest rebuild I ever saw was when Rutherford took over for the Pens. In 1 1/2 years he totally transformed the entire lineup. If you look at the starters from 2013-14 season the year before Rutherford took over and then the team that won the 2015-16 Cup only 6 starters remained Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, Maatta, and Fleury. Fleury was even the backup goalie sitting on the bench for that Cup run playing only one playoff game which he lost. So changing 9 starting forwards, 4 defenseman, and starting goalie in a year and a half has to be the fastest turnover in a long while.

That is a very generous summary of what happened... JR inherited one of the best cores in the league that had won a cup, been to two finals, and 8 straight playoffs together. He didn't touch the core outside of adding Kessel. He didn't change goaltending, his starting goalie got injured and the backup that he did not draft took over.

He did well building around that core, there's no doubt about that, but a rebuild it was not.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
That is a very generous summary of what happened... JR inherited one of the best cores in the league that had won a cup, been to two finals, and 8 straight playoffs together. He didn't touch the core outside of adding Kessel. He didn't change goaltending, his starting goalie got injured and the backup that he did not draft took over.

He did well building around that core, there's no doubt about that, but a rebuild it was not.
You both are right.

JR also inherited a very solid rookie class in 2016 (Murray, Rust, Dumoulin, Sheary, Kuhnhackl), and one of the best playoff rookies of all time in 2017 (Guentzel). So even though JR did ALOT to revamp the Pens roster, he certainly inherited a good chunk of it too.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Thank you.

Sure they added some good players this off season but the rebuild isnt "over" until you make the playoffs consecutively.... ask EDM about that if you need clarification.

Adding some good players does not = rebuild being done; its part of the rebuild. Its not like Panarin chose them because he is going to be the final/missing piece.... he just wanted to live in Manhattan.

All of this is correct. NYR still have a ways to go, but Trouba, Panarin, and Kakko are a good start

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
NYR fans also need to cool their jets RE Trouba.... good player but hold off on the elite talk. Guy has never received a Norris or AST vote in his career.

They were desperate for a good defenseman so I understand why they paid him that much money but they better pray he develops more and is worth it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Call this sour grapes because they bent us over a barrel twice but they are going to be one of those teams in a weird spot.

By the time their prospects will be contributing, their top top top tier goalie will be 40+ and they don't usually last to long from there. Plus, over the next 2 seasons, lots of guys contracts will be up. Now that can be super useful when it's a guy like Staal who's contract sucks but they still need to be replaced.

Lundqvist is our third best goalie.

His contract being up will be good for our ability to win games, and the other contracts that are up will be Staal, Shattenkirk and Smith, all buyout candidates.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A lot of people are saying the Rangers don't have a second line center, and while I'm not sure he'll play center eventually instead of the wing, the Rangers absolutely do not need to acquire another center yet. Chytil is going to be given every opportunity to be the second line center, and there's no reason to not let him try to earn that role. He's going to at least be a second line forward, and if thats at center, problem solved for the time being, although the team would still be missing a 1C. Chytil is being underrated by fans here who mention all these prospects, but leave off a player who would be one of the best prospects outside the NHL, if he was still eligible to be a prospect.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Pretty bold to assume the rebuild is over.

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Buch
Namesnikov-Howden-Kravstov
Anderson-Strome (might switch with Howden) -Fast
Lemieux-Boo Neives

Skjei-Trouba
Fox-Shattenkrik (not sure is Fox will play LD or RD)
DeAngelo-Staal
Hajek

Lundqvist
George

This is a decent lineup. But it’s a young lineup. I’m not sure is Chytil, Howden, Kravtsov, Fox, and Anderson will be good enough early enough in their career to lead the Rangers to the playoffs and who knows what will happen with the goal-tending.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yes because free agency is the only thing that matters. Everybody knows that

Well, it was really the main driving force behind why people think their rebuild is over. If Panarin and Trouba don't opt New York (not the Rangers, I mean New York the city) over every other location to live in, NYR is a bottom team next year in the Metro. It's like in the NBA with LA at this point: location is everything it seems. GMs just have to not be brain-dead and people will sign with the Rangers.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Pretty bold to assume the rebuild is over.

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Buch
Namesnikov-Howden-Kravstov
Anderson-Strome (might switch with Howden) -Fast
Lemieux-Boo Neives

Skjei-Trouba
Fox-Shattenkrik (not sure is Fox will play LD or RD)
DeAngelo-Staal
Hajek

Lundqvist
George

This is a decent lineup. But it’s a young lineup. I’m not sure is Chytil, Howden, Kravtsov, Fox, and Anderson will be good enough early enough in their career to lead the Rangers to the playoffs and who knows what will happen with the goal-tending.

No depth. I don't know how anyone sees that roster and thinks it competes.

I've been laughed at mercilessly by NYR fans who don't believe the Flyers could be better because "they didn't do anything this offseason"...Welp, reality is gonna smack 'em in the face real soon when they're middling in the Metro and Philly hits 2nd round of the playoffs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

He also made a great low-key acquisition in Ron Hainsey for the 2017 run. Hainsey, on his off-side, formed one half of a monster shut-down pairing that was huge in Pittsburgh's 2017 win.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I remember a poll thread. Who would you rather be going forward, Toronto or Buffalo. Buffalo had about 150 votes Toronto had like 30, the thread was closed due to being such a landslide. Fans of other teams came out to **** on them but just made themselves look like clowns in hindsight.

I found one "better future" poll between Buffalo and Toronto.

Better future: Buffalo Sabres vs Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto received over 50% of the vote.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad