Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
a low-end #1C, no #1D and an ancient goalie.

With the best goalie prospect and one of the best young netminders in the NHL as his backups/eventual replacements.

This isn't hard. You can understand they have a plan in nets beyond Lundqvist, and have had that plan in place for a few years now. Those plans aren't even all on one guy either.

We may not currently have a 1D, but we have guys that have the ability to get there.

It's 100% a rebuild when all these guys are prospect, because that is how you actually rebuild a team, through prospects and drafting. That is the primary source.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
No depth. I don't know how anyone sees that roster and thinks it competes.

I've been laughed at mercilessly by NYR fans who don't believe the Flyers could be better because "they didn't do anything this offseason"...Welp, reality is gonna smack 'em in the face real soon when they're middling in the Metro and Philly hits 2nd round of the playoffs.

I doubt that. I doubt anyone cared enough to worry about the flyers. nobody on the rangers side even has the Flyers on the radar.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No depth. I don't know how anyone sees that roster and thinks it competes.

I've been laughed at mercilessly by NYR fans who don't believe the Flyers could be better because "they didn't do anything this offseason"...Welp, reality is gonna smack 'em in the face real soon when they're middling in the Metro and Philly hits 2nd round of the playoffs.

All the Flyers really did was overpay Kevin Hayes / be held hostage by Hayes' agent.

Added two decent d-man but they aren't guys who will make or break the team.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I doubt that. I doubt anyone cared enough to worry about the flyers. nobody on the rangers side even has the Flyers on the radar.

That tends to happen when your team's likely success next year is measured by not being dead last in the Metro.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
All the Flyers really did was overpay Kevin Hayes / be held hostage by Hayes' agent.

Added two decent d-man but they aren't guys who will make or break the team.

Kevin Hayes would make your team look a lot better, methinks.

I can feel your jealousy.

Those two guys we added are playoff-tested minute eaters. Pair them with our stud D prospects and you've got a 2nd round+ team next year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Make the playoffs, which will still be really tough.

Toronto basically went into rebuild mode at the end of 2014-15 and then made the playoffs in 2016-17. Now, you can say they sucked previously, which I'll agree with, but it wasn't constructed as an organized rebuild. Firstly, they traded 2 firsts to get Kessel because Burke didn't believe in a teardown, then after we lucked out making the playoffs in 2012/13 during the shortened season, we made moves to build around that flawed core which then completely screwed us. I guess it depends on when you define a rebuild starting.

Most people consider Feb 2015 to be the start. Thats when Shanahan went to MLSE and told them they had to go scorched earth and trade/fire everybody to rebuild the team & become a cup contender. No more quick fixes.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
With the best goalie prospect and one of the best young netminders in the NHL as his backups/eventual replacements.

This isn't hard. You can understand they have a plan in nets beyond Lundqvist, and have had that plan in place for a few years now. Those plans aren't even all on one guy either.

We may not currently have a 1D, but we have guys that have the ability to get there.

It's 100% a rebuild when all these guys are prospect, because that is how you actually rebuild a team, through prospects and drafting. That is the primary source.

I disagree with you. It’s done when they’re on the ice. How can a rebuild be complete when all of your prospects could completely flame out?

I mean, this goalie has great stats on a powerhouse that allow him Brodeur levels of protection. I don’t think your D corps will do that. Prospects bust, and until they actually fulfill their potential you’re not anywhere yet.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

They may care when they are looking up in the standings at them all season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Half our board still wants to tank. Idk why you guys have such a bone to pick with us. :laugh:

I don't. Just bored and ruffling some feathers :laugh:

The Rangers are on track, but I don't see them as a playoff threat until 20-21 at the earliest. One more lottery pick next draft plus whatever they get for Kreider could set them up really nicely.

Reactions: egelband

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

The Rangers are on track, but I don't see them as a playoff threat until 20-21 at the earliest. One more lottery pick next draft plus whatever they get for Kreider could set them up really nicely.
The 2020 draft is very likely the end of the rebuild, for better or worse. Until then the goal is basically see how much cool shit Kakko does. Obviously if they end up not far from the WC during the season the mindset could change, but right now no one is even talking about that. I have no idea how anyone looked at our roster and thought that team is contending for anything.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
They may care when they are looking up in the standings at them all season.

we are still expecting to be a lotto team. If we are overachieving, we battle for the last WC spot. Thats really it.

I don't know where you are getting the impression that our fanbase is looking to take on the world next season; that we would care about "looking up in the standings".

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
That tends to happen when your team's likely success next year is measured by not being dead last in the Metro.

I don't think you would see many of us unhappy to be in the running for Lafrenière/Byfield/Raymond/Lundell/Holtz next year. We have Panarin, Trouba, and a crap ton of rookie level talent. We aren't contenders.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
How can a rebuild be complete when all of your prospects could completely flame out?

How can anyone rate a team's prospects if they could all flame out? Everyone has the worst and best prospects at the same time, because reasons.

Good lord are you dense. None of this was about the rebuild being over. The post was about the Flyers somehow having better defensive prospects than the Rangers. This is false. It's just not true. The examples given were half current NHL players that are no longer prospects and a few guys the Rangers have in spades that are lower on their own prospect defensive depth charts. The only two that are exceptions to that are Myers and York.

Nothing to do with the rebuild being over. The rebuilding is done in the draft, through trade, acquiring young talent over veteran players and sacrificing winning now for winning later. That's it. Rebuilding is not done on the ice. Team development is done on the ice, in practices, in games. Rebuilding is a mindset and a course that a team and their management group are taking.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017

Hey...!

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
How can anyone rate a team's prospects if they could all flame out? Everyone has the worst and best prospects at the same time, because reasons.

Good lord are you dense. None of this was about the rebuild being over. The post was about the Flyers somehow having better defensive prospects than the Rangers. This is false. It's just not true. The examples given were half current NHL players that are no longer prospects and a few guys the Rangers have in spades that are lower on their own prospect defensive depth charts. The only two that are exceptions to that are Myers and York.

Nothing to do with the rebuild being over. The rebuilding is done in the draft, through trade, acquiring young talent over veteran players and sacrificing winning now for winning later. That's it. Rebuilding is not done on the ice. Team development is done on the ice, in practices, in games. Rebuilding is a mindset and a course that a team and their management group are taking.

The thread is literally called “are the rangers the quickest team to have DONE a rebuild”

I mean...come on!

Reactions: SteveH124

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This guy clearly saw this thread. ;)

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 10.14.32 AM.png

Last edited:

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
I think we need to see how this season pans out to know how well their rebuild has been. The east is really good this year and playoff spots are going to be hard to come by.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's a good start but anyone thinking that they are a contender with that roster is heading towards a disappointment.

What makes you think their rebuild is done already? Aren't they currently shopping one of their key players in Chris Kreider?

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Just one and half year ago Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton wrote a letter to Rangers fans that they're bout to go into a rebuild.

Now it seems very likely, that Rangers team will be a fine stanley cup competitor for the upcoming years adding key pieces like Panarin and Trouba.I think they're the fastest team to have done a rebuild.

I don't see it . Simple question is will the Rags make the playoffs in 19/20 with the additions to the roster ? Answer = no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad