Are the lightning a superteam?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
...we was waived earlier in the season, iirc, so he must have waived his NMC...
He has NTC, not NMC, per CapFriendly.

There's nothing I can find saying Johnson agreed to waive. Best I could find from the Tampa POV was that he'd listen and talk to Tampa mgmt about the possibility.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
No. Bolts fan here.

Hard work and some luck.

No dynasty. Happy to be where we are.

Islnaders are a very tough opponent

Reactions: Lolaimbot

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yet they had the same tax advantages back when they tanking and drafting Stamkos and Hedman 1-2 and nobody complained about their massive "advantage" at the time... back then they were just some failing hockey market that needed to be relocated to Quebec City. Now that they hit on all their draft picks and built a great roster with players on good deals, it's all about this unfair "advantage" because of what local governments decide to do with their taxes. :laugh:
The advantage was still there. Them being in a natural tank cycle is irrelevant.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yet they had the same tax advantages back when they tanking and drafting Stamkos and Hedman 1-2 and nobody complained about their massive "advantage" at the time... back then they were just some failing hockey market that needed to be relocated to Quebec City. Now that they hit on all their draft picks and built a great roster with players on good deals, it's all about this unfair "advantage" because of what local governments decide to do with their taxes. :laugh:
You have a point. Their tax situation is no doubt an advantage. But good players (and the right ones that are dedicated to winning) aren't going to want to sign there if it means they're going to miss the playoffs or go out in the first round. Winning is still the priority. So their tax advantage can only be taken advantage of if the team is good.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
You can't really have "superteams" in the NHL but they're about as close as you can get.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
They have the best goalie in the league, best winger in the league, one of the best centers in the league and the best Dman in a league. We will probably never see this again in the cap era.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Idk... I left the state cuz I think the weather sucks 75% of the year.

...too f*ckin' hot & sticky for most of the year, imo...both my baby brother & cousin who is basically my other baby brother live in Venice, Florida...I visit in March and November (after Hurricane season)...the rest of the year is too damn hot for me...

Reactions: NatoGhost

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
He didn't waive technically, but he provided a list and was working closely with Brisebois.

So a handful of teams who probably wouldn't want his anchor contract without a major overpayment considering no one touched him with a ten foot pole when he was waived?

Hardly a smoking gun here. It would have been pretty tough to find a team he'd waive to, find a team who'd want him and find a middle point on the compensation for taking him on. As in all three of those conditions.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think your $30mil over argument is working, why don't you push it to $40mil, might be more convincing.
I’m not trying to convince anyone. Just stating facts, cause they are facts. People can think whatever they want, like Tampa fans who think the tax advantages and cap circumvention has zero effect on how their team got good.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Everyone keeps saying this. That's for a 34 man playoff roster, which is completely irrelevant.
Agreed but that additional $7million in LTIR isn’t irrelevant, it allowed Tampa to dump a little over 3 million more cap to re-sign their pending RFAs that are currently on roster, rather than having to make a tougher decision on one of them in a cap crunch.

So the full $18 million is technically the number.

Reactions: Pink Mist

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
I’m not trying to convince anyone. Just stating facts, cause they are facts. People can think whatever they want, like Tampa fans who think the tax advantages and cap circumvention has zero effect on how their team got good.
If they are facts then show your math. I'd love to see it.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Agreed but that additional $7million in LTIR isn’t irrelevant, it allowed Tampa to dump a little over 3 million more cap to re-sign their pending RFAs that are currently on roster, rather than having to make a tougher decision on one of them in a cap crunch.

So the full $18 million is technically the number.
This.

Even though the actual team on the ice now isn't $18M over, the number still has relevancy because the number allowed Tampa to keep 2-3 of its better role players who ARE on the ice in this series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad