Are the lightning a superteam?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I find it funny that people make such a big shit about the Lightning being over the cap, as if having Tyler Johnson in a depth role is somehow the difference between being an elite team or not :laugh:

The Lightning being over the cap this year allowed them to keep Johnson and maybe Killorn at absolute most. I don't know the exact cap situation with Tampa, but at most it would have been those two had Kucherov been healthy all year. Would Tampa somehow not be a dominant team without those 2? Of course they would still be dominant.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I find it funny that people make such a big shit about the Lightning being over the cap, as if having Tyler Johnson in a depth role is somehow the difference between being an elite team or not :laugh:

The Lightning being over the cap this year allowed them to keep Johnson and maybe Killorn at absolute most. I don't know the exact cap situation with Tampa, but at most it would have been those two had Kucherov been healthy all year. Would Tampa somehow not be a dominant team without those 2? Of course they would still be dominant.

Johnson and Killorns cap hits are a combined 30M now?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It allowed us to keep, yes, Johnson and Killorn.

Reactions: Hoek and Rschmitz

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah Killorn is a good player, but Johnson is mostly just an overpaid depth guy at this point. Had Kucherov been healthy, they would have paid some futures to move Johnson, traded Killorn for value and that would have made them cap compliant. This team minus those two is still a top contender.

Reactions: AlmostThere242

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019

Faulty logic.

Johnson has a full NTC and has no reason to waive. Just because he was the obvious solution to move doesn't mean he would have just uprooted his family to Detroit or Ottawa to make Tampa Bay management happy. This isn't a video game.

In reality, they would have been forced to move a player or two better than Johnson.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah I remember talks that Johnson was going to get yeeted off the team, but I guess Kucherov's injury allowed him to stick around for the ride another season. Good for him and I'm sure the Lightning are glad to have him around since he's been with them for a while, but I don't think he's the make or break guy between Tampa being a Stanley Cup favorite and some team that doesn't get out of the first round. He's got like 2 points all postseason :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Faulty logic.

Johnson has a full NTC and has no reason to waive. Just because he was the obvious solution to move doesn't mean he would have just uprooted his family to Detroit or Ottawa to make Tampa Bay management happy. This isn't a video game.

In reality, they would have been forced to move a player or two better than Johnson.
Johnson did waive.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah I remember talks that Johnson was going to get yeeted off the team, but I guess Kucherov's injury allowed him to stick around for the ride another season. Good for him and I'm sure the Lightning are glad to have him around since he's been with them for a while, but I don't think he's the make or break guy between Tampa being a Stanley Cup favorite and some team that doesn't get out of the first round. He's got like 2 points all postseason :laugh:

In reality, Kucherov's injury saved us the assets it would have cost us to unload Johnson. And, in hindsight, it seems like we were just asking for value on Killorn, if we shopped him at all. But Johnson was shopped for sure, and waived.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Faulty logic.

And had that happened, they could have just bought him out, saved $2.7 million in cap space, traded Killorn and then cleared an additional ~$2 million in cap space by moving other players.

Reactions: Hoek

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Faulty logic.

Except Johnson was working closely with the team to find a location that suits him. He had more control of his destiny this past offseason than he would in the future when his NTC is reduced to a modified NTC. Furthermore, it was reported that teams were willing to take on Johnson's contract for a sweetener. So we saved a first round pick and wasted it on Savard, big deal.

Reactions: Hoek

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Considering tax advantages. Atleast that.
Yet they had the same tax advantages back when they tanking and drafting Stamkos and Hedman 1-2 and nobody complained about their massive "advantage" at the time... back then they were just some failing hockey market that needed to be relocated to Quebec City. Now that they hit on all their draft picks and built a great roster with players on good deals, it's all about this unfair "advantage" because of what local governments decide to do with their taxes. :laugh:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Hell, we could have traded Stamkos and been just fine.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4