Are the lightning a superteam?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Canadian teams also pay the players in USD, so they get an advantage due to conversion rates. That’s a 24% cap advantage and the NHL needs to correct it!! :sarcasm:
How? If a player plays in the US and lives or wants to invest in Canada he gets the same conversion rate.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Vast majority of teams keep their home grown super stars.

The least desirable city in the league re-signed McDavid and Draisaitl. Winnipeg kept all of their stars. Ottawa kept Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson for all those years. Columbus kept Rick Nash all those years and managed to re-sign Bobrovsky to a 2nd contract. Tavares signed a 2nd contract with NYI. Montreal managed to keep Price all those years.

Tampa is good because of smart drafting, smart trading, and smart salary cap management. It's no coincidence that a crap franchise like Florida, who has all the same perks as Tampa, cannot and does not attract free agents because they're a perrenial loser.
You are absolutely right. However they still do have a cap advantage compared to teams with higher state/province tax.
Even if a team does everything as good as Tampa, they can still fit an extra elite talent on their roster.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Folks, the politics forum is somewhere other than HFBoards. Get back on topic.

And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, consider yourself lucky.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
You are absolutely right. However they still do have a cap advantage compared to teams with higher state/province tax.
Even if a team does everything as good as Tampa, they can still fit an extra elite talent on their roster.
what?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
How did you come up with that number?
I didn't come up with it, I just remember it from an interview with an agent. If I remember correctly, the number was higher compared to the higher tax rate states/provinces like Ontario or Quebec

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
So those high tax states need to make adjustments to become more competitive
Most of them already are since they are in traditional hockey market. They are also paying the low income team with the revenue sharing. Like a previous posters mentioned, it's not the solution or recipe for teams to become competitive, to which I added, but it gives teams that are already competitive, an edge on the other competitive teams from high taxes states/provinces.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Most of them already are since they are in traditional hockey market. They are also paying the low income team with the revenue sharing. Like a previous posters mentioned, it's not the solution or recipe for teams to become competitive, to which I added, but it gives teams that are already competitive, an edge on the other competitive teams from high taxes states/provinces.

And regions with low taxes should have a competitive edge over regions that want to have high taxes. High taxes have consequences. Trying to remove the consequences of high taxes while keeping the revenue isn't how the world works. I'm not saying high or low taxes are right/wrong (this isn't the forum for that), but that they both have consequences.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
YES
giphy.gif

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
You mean high tax places like Chicago, LA, and Pittsburgh who won the majority of the Stanley Cups in the last 12 years?

Im not the one complaining about taxes. I think it ends up being near immaterial given the tax resources these guys have

I was just responding to the people that think it’s a huge edge. It’s not, but if you thought it was the solution is to make your area more competitive… not try to control the politics of a different area

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Like I posted in the GDT, they're a team so well built that they can play any sort of style and still win. I think Tampa is the only team in the NHL today that can claim that, I don't even think Vegas falls in that category.

There aren't many teams that can do that, hell even a lot of cup winning teams couldn't even do that. A lot of cup teams are built to 1 specific attribute that they're so good that they can just dominate with it. Look at the cup winners before Tampa, I feel like those 3 teams (St. Louis, Washington and Pittsburgh) just maximized 1 or 2 attributes and rode those to the cup. But Tampa has maximized seemingly all of their attributes, to the point where they can win any sort of game that may arise. The 2016-2017 Penguins, 2018 Capitals and 2019 Blues didn't have the extreme versatility that the 2021 Lightning do.

The 2019 Blues wouldn't have won the cup had they had a matchup that turned games into end to end offensive games. The 2018 Caps wouldn't have won the cup had they had a matchup that turned games into all speed and little physicality matchups. The 2016 and 2017 Penguins wouldn't have won the cup had they had a matchup that turned those games into slower, physical games. With Tampa, I think they can win with any of those changes just because of how well built they are.

This is truth and we have CBJ and Cooper to thank for it. We tried the style that produced the best regular season record in a lifetime and just ran right into the teeth of a perfect counter and did not adjust. The learning after that series was impressive.

Now, want to run-n-gun with the Lightning then good luck because you are going to need it. Want to try and out physical, yeah we can do that to with multiple lines. Want to bore the fans to death with a trap game we can do it better and beat you 2-1.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Im not the one complaining about taxes. I think it ends up being near immaterial given the tax resources these guys have

I was just responding to the people that think it’s a huge edge. It’s not, but if you thought it was the solution is to make your area more competitive… not try to control the politics of a different area
Yeah, it's overblown like Los Angeles having nice weather is overblown every off season for free agency.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
And regions with low taxes should have a competitive edge over regions that want to have high taxes. High taxes have consequences. Trying to remove the consequences of high taxes while keeping the revenue isn't how the world works. I'm not saying high or low taxes are right/wrong (this isn't the forum for that), but that they both have consequences.
I get what you are saying and I agree in general, but not when you're working with a salary cap.

caufieldbeerman

Jun 21, 2021
Point = Toews
Kucherov = Kane
Hedman = Keith
Stamkos = Hossa
Seabrook = Mcdonagh

Vasilevski = ( sorry hawks didn't have such a good goalie )

I'm a die hard habs fan and I don't think we face chances in a 4 of 7 againts Tampa if it happens.

Tampa Bay is clearly a super team !

Reactions: RedLeader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad