Are the lightning a superteam?

Xanlet

Apr 16, 2013
B.C.
This isn't completely true. And a very simplified and basic understanding of how it all works. I expect nothing else from the Toronto Sports network.
Elaborate. If a player plays 41 games in a no-state-tax state, they will pay less tax on their income than a player who plays 41 games in a high-state-tax state. What's not true about that?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Elaborate. If a player plays 41 games in a no-state-tax state, they will pay less tax on their income than a player who plays 41 games in a high-state-tax state. What's not true about that?
This doesn't take into account salary bonuses, which are taxed differently. Cost of living, place of residence, if they are still a Canadian citizen or a citizen of the EU. It doesn't take into account that property taxes are higher in non state income taxes or the fact players who play for Canadian teams can use RCA's to lower their tax hit to about 20% total. Taxes aren't just simple as here is no state income tax. These are rich players making millions a year, and if there is one thing you should know, rich people don't stay rich by paying taxes properly. If anything they barely pay anything.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Connor McDavid knows already, where will he sign in summer 2026.

It's only impossible due to how insane the Oilers would be to let that happen and further insane if they make no playoff progress by then. If that's the case then yeah.... If we're still rocking with Brayden Point and Kucherov and have otherwise rebuilt the team he'd put us over for yet another title window

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I don't want to get into their cap situation as it's irrelevant to the question asked by the OP. I would instead ask "what defines a super team?" Do you mean "All-Star Team"? Or is it slightly worse than an All-Star Team? Or maybe better than an All-Star Team? There won't be any real answer to the OP's question since he failed to define the term. That said, I'd rank them right around where I would have ranked the Colorado Avalanche back in the late '90s and early 2000's. Great top end talent and tons of quality depth in front of a fantastic goaltender. It's taken a lot of team-constructing skill and luck to get their roster to this point, and I don't know how long they'll be able to hold onto it, but it's pretty amazing while it lasts.

member 298589

They're super at winning Stanley's Covid Cup with an unlimited salary cap, right? The Tapma Bay Lighteninging!

Seriously, they're taking advantage of the rules to win. Do you expect them to decline any advantages, pay only the average net salary and sit Kucherov? Many teams would be lucky if their ownership would try so hard and pay extra to deliver a winning product for their fans. Never change, hfboards. Keep on herping your way down the derp path.

Regarding the OP, they're likely the best recent team but it will take another season or two to reach "superteam" status. Win 3 cups over the span of 5 or so years and nobody should argue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Kp6RN00.png

Reactions: Devonator

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
This.

Add to that the weather/destination factor, so players are actually taking a little bit less money to go there. That is not Tampa’s fault, but is an advantage also.

It still takes a good organization to operate at the level they are operating. They are are just in it with an easy mode settings compared to most others.
So you want to tax weather too? Is that the solution? Can we tax Canada for being a generally safer environment to live in? Or that Canada has a generally better quality of life?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I've just created the criteria for a super team in the NHL, it's 5 hall of fame calibre players in their prime.

Furkmyster

May 5, 2007
Manitoba
Based on the roster Tampa iced in games 1-4, their AAV would be $89,328,666 based on the full season according to capfriendly.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Canadian teams also pay the players in USD, so they get an advantage due to conversion rates. That’s a 24% cap advantage and the NHL needs to correct it!! :sarcasm:

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Canadian teams also pay the players in USD, so they get an advantage due to conversion rates. That’s a 24% cap advantage and the NHL needs to correct it!! :sarcasm:
Yes, not like products are more expensive in relation to salary here in Canada either.

Joking aside, I have no idea how Mtl or VGK can keep up with TB. Way I see it, TB are probably playing their toughest series as we speak on their way to a 2nd cup in 2 years. Unreal drafting and pro scouting since the late 90s. Incredibly well ran franchise as a whole since 20 years. Their cap circumvention do leave a sour taste to me, but even if they had an 80M lineup, I don't see how any team could beat them.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
But it does

Example Stamkos
Vast majority of teams keep their home grown super stars.

The least desirable city in the league re-signed McDavid and Draisaitl. Winnipeg kept all of their stars. Ottawa kept Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson for all those years. Columbus kept Rick Nash all those years and managed to re-sign Bobrovsky to a 2nd contract. Tavares signed a 2nd contract with NYI. Montreal managed to keep Price all those years.

Tampa is good because of smart drafting, smart trading, and smart salary cap management. It's no coincidence that a crap franchise like Florida, who has all the same perks as Tampa, cannot and does not attract free agents because they're a perrenial loser.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad