Are the Islanders really this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I don't know if NYI are "that good" but the contrast between NYI's defensive zone coverage and, for example, Philadelphia's defensive zone coverage in the last two games is pretty big. Just watching the highlights you can see some pretty egregious coverage lapses, and seems to me that kind of stuff comes down to coaching and experience.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Isles very much have a "Do your job, and trust that your teammates are doing theirs" mentality.

Trotz has allowed the players to think less and play faster. Also being year 2 means most of the guys knew what to expect from day 1.

It's crazy what can be accomplished if everyone pulls the rope in the same direction.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Isles depth will continue to be tested this month. Lots of injuries piling up. Good test for organization. They have some young players that are going to get a chance.

Reactions: dood

nyijedi

Nov 29, 2014
Isles very much have a "Do your job, and trust that your teammates are doing theirs" mentality.

Trotz has allowed the players to think less and play faster. Also being year 2 means most of the guys knew what to expect from day 1.

It's crazy what can be accomplished if everyone pulls the rope in the same direction.

Rope? I think you (and your avatar) meant chain ;)

Reactions: Riseonfire

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I don't think Shero has done a bad job in NJ, he did amazing to build a team offense. But look what he didn't do, he didn't do anything to hire a guy that can coach defensive structures or really upgrade a core majority of his defense. Now the team looks worse this year with their best offense in years.

That is why the Devils shouldn't have gotten rid of Lou. It was so foolish. The team literally lost their 2 top players in consecutive years and their core aged. It was time for a rebuild, and the owners just handed the reigns over because "he's old!".

Look what Lou did in Toronto, he turned the franchise around. Then he left and the new overrated GM there made the team regress and has given some horrible contracts. Lou then goes to the Islanders, turns the franchise over there immediately. He is the best GM ever, nobody has done what he has done on new teams. Also, him winning 3 cups with NJ who barely spent any money in a non salary cap era demonstrates his greatness.

Reactions: Hunn

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lou then goes to the Islanders, turns the franchise over there immediately. He is the best GM ever, nobody has done what he has done on new teams. Also, him winning 3 cups with NJ who barely spent any money in a non salary cap era demonstrates his greatness.

I don't want to discredit Lou for what he did in NY, but he really hasn't put his stamp on the roster other then a few minor signings. All thatbeing said if he wasn't hired my guess is Trotz doesn't sign with us and that was his one big signing

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Are Barry Trotz -coached teams usually good?

It would be a surprise, if they would be bad.
Even these Nashville teams were well prepared and coached. He sure paid his dues over there.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
giphy.gif
8 in a Row!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad