Are the Islanders really this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They should be fine. So, you are projecting them for the division and conference top seed then. Yes?

I thought they made slight improvements on paper that are bigger on the ice with Brassard and Varly this summer. I predicted 103 pts again before the season began. Washington will be tough to beat. I like their team for the skill and they can play big factor a lot. They will have to tighten up as they get closer to the playoffs though. I really don't pay too much attention to who wins the conference. Only that they finish in the top 3 and avoid a wild card scenario. I think TB showed that going all out to win the regular season is not the best way to go. Got to pace it out. Which is why having 2 goalies is a key splitting the work load. Also let's face it no one can control injuries, lots of factors have to go your way.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Barzal is used to this by now. The great thing about truly great players is they don't need the linemates excuse to be great players, this year the thing that has impressed me most about Barzal is he is one of the Isles leading defensive metrics players. 1.12 GA60 5v5. How many #1C's can create offence and be so stingy defensively? Not many.

You what is interesting? Bazal is a plus 14 and pretty well ahead any other Islander at this point. It's kind of unfortunate Trotz does not even play him in empty net situations . heck, yesterday he was not even on PP 1. We don't hear one complaint from him,. He just wants to win. The kid is transforming into a defensive stud to be as . Selke candidtate one day? It would be so Barzal to do it. Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread here

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I project them being a playoff team and maybe winning a round. As most of us (Isles fans) seem to feel the obvious is needed, a scoring winger...maybe a 3rd line center

so I think they’ll finish top 6 in the conference but aren’t a threat in the playoffs without a bonafide scoring threat

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
They should be fine. So, you are projecting them for the division and conference top seed then. Yes?
Nobody is doing that. You’re creating a false narrative, I’m guessing so that when they start to struggle a bit you can swoop in and say you were right all along or something.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nobody is doing that. You’re creating a false narrative, I’m guessing so that when they start to struggle a bit you can swoop in and say you were right all along or something.

My bad. What about what I said was cause for challenge? Are the THIS GOOD? They are good. Let me see them after they have played something like an even number of road games before I say they are best record in the league stuff.

Telling me they were good on the road last season doesn't back up an 80% win rate on the road. I say lets see after their home games and road games played are more in line because other than one other team in the east all the rest around .500 on the road.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
My bad. What about what I said was cause for challenge? Are the THIS GOOD? They are good. Let me see them after they have played something like an even number of road games before I say they are best record in the league stuff.

Telling me they were good on the road last season doesn't back up an 80% win rate on the road. I say lets see after their home games and road games played are more in line because other than one other team in the east all the rest around .500 on the road.
They're 60-30-8 since start of last season. Top 3 overall since then.

They're 12-3-1 missing 5 regulars so far this season.

As well as Wahlstrom, Bardreau, Johnston, Dal Colle and Dobson have played, the team will be even stronger with Eberle, Kuhnackl, Martin, Komarov and Leddy.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They're 12-3-1 missing 5 regulars so far this season..

Largely playing at home and getting the matchups they want. Of course, again, I am arguing that I am not sold that they are the best team in the conference or league. Since you are arguing with me, you must think I am wrong

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I project them being a playoff team and maybe winning a round. As most of us (Isles fans) seem to feel the obvious is needed, a scoring winger...maybe a 3rd line center

so I think they’ll finish top 6 in the conference but aren’t a threat in the playoffs without a bonafide scoring threat

Give me Pageau and Hoffman and I’d Role with that.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Largely playing at home and getting the matchups they want. Of course, again, I am arguing that I am not sold that they are the best team in the conference or league. Since you are arguing with me, you must think I am wrong
How is myself stating facts about what their record is since last season began, this season and the injuries occurring arguing?

They're facts. The only opinion I stated is that that they'll be even better when the regulars return.

Btw, your argument about mostly playing at home is weak. They're 4-1 away this year and 28-15-4 since last year away. Virtually identical to their home record.

Another fact is their 14-1-1 record on the 2nd night of back to backs under Trotz. Likely a record over many years with over 15 games played.

And remind me who said they are the best team in the conference or league.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
How is myself stating facts about what their record is since last season began, this season and the injuries occurring arguing?

They're facts. The only opinion I stated is that that they'll be even better when the regulars return.

Btw, your argument about mostly playing at home is weak. They're 4-1 away this year and 28-15-4 since last year away. Virtually identical to their home record.

Another fact is their 14-1-1 record on the 2nd night of back to backs under Trotz. Likely a record over many years with over 15 games played.

And remind me who said they are the best team in the conference or league.

Back to backs are becoming less and less of a problem as more players don’t treat their bodies like garbage in season drinking, partying etc like they did in the 70s/80s and probably even into the 90s. It doesn’t seem to be much of an advantage for the rested team anymore. That said I think the Isles playing more of a tight defensive game vs chasing or back and forth back and forth tires them out less for the 2nd game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad