Are the Islanders really this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
The Isles are a team built more around character, than skill. Not that they haven't tried to add top notch talent, but the case is that mgmt. is doing a good job of managing what they have.

I believe that Lamoriello and Trotz have built a solid foundation, and the organization's 'aura' is much better. Soon, they will start attracting FA's. Trending upward, IMO.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
I don't think they'll finish as well as they did last year, but they aren't a bottom dweller. Likely make the playoffs without home ice in the 1st round.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Last week there was a thread disparaging the Oilers for not beating a real team yet, having a schedule filled of bottom 5 teams so far.

One of those teams was the Islanders. A bunch of people had forgotten they were a 100+ point playoff team last year.

So yeah, people are stubborn and have short memories. They also value star power over team play.

Not much the team can do to change people’s minds as currently constructed outside of making the Conference Final and beyond.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They're 3-3-3 in regulation, while 2-0 and 1-0 in OT and SO. 1 regulation win against teams not located in Winnipeg, a team currently surviving on post regulation points even more than the Islanders. Other than the Caps, nobody else is winning all that much in the Metro either. Columbus, a league leading 3 OT wins, but 2-3-5 in regulation. Carolina, 3-3-4. Pittsburgh, 5-5-1.

So far, the Isles are somewhere in the mushy middle. Post regulation results are always glass half full/empty. You want to win, but why does it take you having to go that far into a game to win? Is getting to OT a sign of some deficiency during normal play, or a sign of buckling down and competing for every inch? The Caps are 6-2-4 in regulation, but suck in OT at 1-3. That's one of the issues with OT, or the SO; they're very random. Good teams can be bad in OT, bad teams can be good, etc.

joemon999

Drive for 5
Sep 12, 2011
They're 3-3-3 in regulation, while 2-0 and 1-0 in OT and SO. 1 regulation win against teams not located in Winnipeg, a team currently surviving on post regulation points even more than the Islanders. Other than the Caps, nobody else is winning all that much in the Metro either. Columbus, a league leading 3 OT wins, but 2-3-5 in regulation. Carolina, 3-3-4. Pittsburgh, 5-5-1.

So far, the Isles are somewhere in the mushy middle. Post regulation results are always glass half full/empty. You want to win, but why does it take you having to go that far into a game to win? Is getting to OT a sign of some deficiency during normal play, or a sign of buckling down and competing for every inch? The Caps are 6-2-4 in regulation, but suck in OT at 1-3. That's one of the issues with OT, or the SO; they're very random. Good teams can be bad in OT, bad teams can be good, etc.

They've had 1 powerplay the last 5 games.
They're PP is 3rd in the league.
Give them a few more PPs, and I'm sure a lot of those "not real OT wins" that you're trying to claim gets thrown out the window completely.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Imagine if they had the same amount of PPs every other team in the league has. Before last night the Caps had 40 PPs(1st) and the Isles had 12(last). The next closest team to the Isles had 22 PPs.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You’ll get your answer before christmas. Teams always turn it up as we get closer to new years and teams that have issues will start falling.

It’s not a surprise they’re off to a good start, you don’t build something that good for a year and then completely lose confidence 3 weeks into a new season.

But i have to say, Barry Trotz is an elite coach. The guy knows what to say and recognize where possible issues lie right away. If the Isles eventually fall, it won’t be because of lack of trying and competing, and if it is, you’re not playing.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
I think the Islanders are what modern hockey teams will be like. No superstars, but rather TEAM oriented. Superstars is a curse to win a Cup for many reasons. Like someone said above, JT left and now the team feels like they belong somewhere, as now everyone carries the weight on their shoulders and does not rely on few guys to win it. On top of that they have Trotz, who is more of a father than coach. He united them it seems.

I'm quietly cheering for them.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Why? Is it hard to believe that a team without big names(except Barzal) can play an excellent team game? You don't need superstars to shut down other teams.

As exemplified by team Finland last spring. That was a C-team, yet they beat several teams full of NHL talents.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As an Islander fan my 2 cents is while we lack top end talent, all the freed up cash allows us to have better then average depth so over the course of a 82 game season where (other teams) players won't be playing 100% every single game it's not hard for a team with a good work ethic and above average talent from players 1-20 to win. The lack of top end talent though can only go so far though in the much tougher playoffs

Then there is the fact Trotz is probably top 3-5 coaches in the league

A little credit probably should be given to Snow as well who seemed to have a type when drafting(he generally went for guys who had above average work ethics and compete levels, and yes I know he picked Kabanov and Ho Sang but those were exceptions rather then the norm). It's guys like that who fit into a team first system that Trotz employs. Snow's main problem(besides a cheap owner) was he never really got the coach to help the players

It seems JT leaving might have been a blessing for them because they have been playing great hockey since last season.

As much as I would like to say Tavares was the cancer on this team that isn't True. Tavares tenure with us was lined to Islander constantly having coaches who I would say where bottom 10 in the league. And as I pointed out above we lack that top end Talent, Tavares is exactly what we need to give us that 1-2 punch at center.

A Trotz-Tavares Islanders combo probably makes us an outside shot to win the cup, whereas I put us in the pretender category now

Last edited:

Mickmagoo

Apr 2, 2017
Imagine if they had the same amount of PPs every other team in the league has. Before last night the Caps had 40 PPs(1st) and the Isles had 12(last). The next closest team to the Isles had 22 PPs.

Wow wtf why so many missed calls? You'd expect at least 2 a game?!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
1Eh3FKU.jpg

BARRY TROTZ MUTHA f***ER DO YOU SPEAK IT? HE'S BEEN DOING THIS HIS WHOLE CAREER! SAY WHAT AGAIN I DARE YOU I DOUBLE DARE YOU!

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Lou and Trotz have charisma. Smth that for example Kyle "Dubler" Dubas lacks. Think that high pitched voice when Dubler screams to Shanahan. Dubas should be a South park character, not a gm of a hockey team.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad