Are the Flames Overrated? (Warning: Post 75 & OP)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames are playing with 3 out of 4 forward lines right now and will be going no where this year until they can admit to themselves that Lucic is ****in horrible at hockey. He literally kills an entire line by being on it. So your line with Lucic on it? That has 2 NHL players only. 2 out of 3. That bottom 6 that scored for you guys last year? Take that away and you get the crappy team you are seeing so far this season.

Oh, and Reider doesn't help either, but the Flames picked up those sloppy seconds too.

See responses like this are just troll bait from people who have never watched the Flames play.

Lucic hasn't been a problem on any line he has been on this year and in half the games he has been the best player on his line, ie. not make bone head mistakes leading to goals.

And no the Flames aren't overrated, 90% of HF said they were trash going into this year because of Colorado did to us in the playoffs. Half of people on this forum had the Flames missing the playoffs.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
See responses like this are just troll bait from people who have never watched the Flames play.

Lucic hasn't been a problem on any line he has been on this year and in half the games he has been the best player on his line, ie. not make bone head mistakes leading to goals.

And no the Flames aren't overrated, 90% of HF said they were trash going into this year because of Colorado did to us in the playoffs. Half of people on this forum had the Flames missing the playoffs.
They said the same thing while he was in Edmonton too. yes he went through a rough time, but for most of the time there he worked his tail off and often drove the play. No he is not a scorer... but yes he is so much more.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Ive watched a lot more Lucic than you to know exactly what he is. He’s some tips for the Noobie who hasn’t even begun to understand how bad he is:
- He cannot complete a winger breakout in his own zone. What him near your blue line and you’ll see him destroy any chance his line has at a fast break out as opposition closes on his slow ass quickly and he’s left with zero options except coughing over the puck.
- He’ll try to be a net front presence but because he has zero quickness you’ll find him getting in the way of shots more than tipping them. He’ll also be beaten to positioning in rebounds with his zero quickness. Oh that’s if he’s still on his feet when a shot comes through because if he faces up against any net front defender with size he’ll be bumbling around and falling all over himself as he tries to battle.
- he can barely receive a pass if it comes at him too quickly. You’ll see pucks bounce off his stick and go 5 feet in front of him and just out of his reach.
- he MAY get a shot off every now and then, and it’ll have good velocity cause Looch puts power into everything he does. But it’ll go directly into the crest and be no threat to score.
- He’ll look angry and intimidating for maybe 5 minutes a game, the rest of the time he’ll look disappointed, dejected, confused, or worried that his career is over.

Oh and the fact that Bennet who’s a pretty stupid player has hurt your team and Lucic hasn’t yet, says absolutely NOTHING about how bad Lucic is. Only that Bennett is also pretty bad as he constantly skates pucks into nothing and tries dangles that never work.

I do watch Flames games btw. They are my goto if I wanna cheer for a team and the Oilers aren’t playing. Cheering against the Flames are a nice plan B to watching the home team lol. Last year I saw a fast, quick passing flames team, that was clicking through out the lineup. This year the bottom 6 looks absolutely useless. And don’t tell me I’m biased in my assessment cause one glance of the calgary boards or CP shows my assessment is pretty much bang on.

Reactions: super6646

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They said the same thing while he was in Edmonton too. yes he went through a rough time, but for most of the time there he worked his tail off and often drove the play. No he is not a scorer... but yes he is so much more.

Uh that was no the case whatsoever. Lucic was the laziest Oiler during his tenure. Look at any Lucic thread on HFoil. Every fan would have been ok with him if he put a atom of effort in. He was lazy AND terrible

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Ive watched a lot more Lucic than you to know exactly what he is. He’s some tips for the Noobie who hasn’t even begun to understand how bad he is:
- He cannot complete a winger breakout in his own zone. What him near your blue line and you’ll see him destroy any chance his line has at a fast break out as opposition closes on his slow ass quickly and he’s left with zero options except coughing over the puck.
- He’ll try to be a net front presence but because he has zero quickness you’ll find him getting in the way of shots more than tipping them. He’ll also be beaten to positioning in rebounds with his zero quickness. Oh that’s if he’s still on his feet when a shot comes through because if he faces up against any net front defender with size he’ll be bumbling around and falling all over himself as he tries to battle.
- he can barely receive a pass if it comes at him too quickly. You’ll see pucks bounce off his stick and go 5 feet in front of him and just out of his reach.
- he MAY get a shot off every now and then, and it’ll have good velocity cause Looch puts power into everything he does. But it’ll go directly into the crest and be no threat to score.
- He’ll look angry and intimidating for maybe 5 minutes a game, the rest of the time he’ll look disappointed, dejected, confused, or worried that his career is over.

Oh and the fact that Bennet who’s a pretty stupid player has hurt your team and Lucic hasn’t yet, says absolutely NOTHING about how bad Lucic is. Only that Bennett is also pretty bad as he constantly skates pucks into nothing and tries dangles that never work.

I do watch Flames games btw. They are my goto if I wanna cheer for a team and the Oilers aren’t playing. Cheering against the Flames are a nice plan B to watching the home team lol. Last year I saw a fast, quick passing flames team, that was clicking through out the lineup. This year the bottom 6 looks absolutely useless. And don’t tell me I’m biased in my assessment cause one glance of the calgary boards or CP shows my assessment is pretty much bang on.

I am not saying Lucic won't be bad in the future, but to say that this year in the 6 games as a Flame he has been hurting the team is just false.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I am not saying Lucic won't be bad in the future, but to say that this year in the 6 games as a Flame he has been hurting the team is just false.

It’s not false. And although he hasn’t made any egregious mistakes leading to a goal against or a bad Penalty. The fact that he’s on the team and does nothing means oungitna 3rd line with 2 out if 3 players in it. Heck there’s Calgary fans saying Hathaway is better than Lucic.. And they might be right.

Reactions: super6646

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I think he's hurting the team. At least Hathaway had some NHL speed and skills.

Players like Lucic/Reider/Jankowski just take up space and add nothing of value to the lineup. That is at least 1/4 of the forward lineup who is completely useless.

Imagine if we weren't paying for Lucic/Brouwer buyout/Stone buy out... that could have bought us a first line winger or some decent depth players.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Dave Riddick isn't a number one goalie. Trade him for a number one center and let Talbot take over.

51eBIl0SpVL._SY445_.jpg

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Can't disagree with the Oiler fan above. The depth looks useless and has provided nothing.

2 pts in 6 games from the bottom half of the lineup. That is simply not good enough. If people think that is good enough to get us to the post-season, man there is something else in store for us.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I know you already said we aren’t allowed to tell you your wrong but you, not surprisingly, are dead wrong.

Tge team was not clicking throughout the line-up last year. We had big issues with the bottom 6 and inconsistency of the 2nd line last year.

Your Bennett assessment is full of crap as well.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
It’s not false. And although he hasn’t made any egregious mistakes leading to a goal against or a bad Penalty. The fact that he’s on the team and does nothing means oungitna 3rd line with 2 out if 3 players in it. Heck there’s Calgary fans saying Hathaway is better than Lucic.. And they might be right.

Hathaway is waaaaay better than Lucic and anyone in the bottom 6 on the Flames. Flames were stupid to let Hathaway walk.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
I know you already said we aren’t allowed to tell you your wrong but you, not surprisingly, are dead wrong.

Tge team was not clicking throughout the line-up last year. We had big issues with the bottom 6 and inconsistency of the 2nd line last year.

Your Bennett assessment is full of crap as well.
As a Flames fan I must say his Bennett assessment is bang on. He is the dumbest player in the league and always tries toe drags like he's in the OHL. His hockey iq is non existent.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
As a Flames fan I must say his Bennett assessment is bang on. He is the dumbest player in the league and always tries toe drags like he's in the OHL. His hockey iq is non existent.

Essentially what alot of Flames fans thinks of him as well from what I see. And I was saying that stuff about Bennett like 2 years ago and I only catch a Flames game like once a month or less. Here's what I said about Bennett in 2017:

My quick assessment of Bennett's game and what his problems/potential are, Flames fans can confirm or deny:

1. Doesn't use his teammates effectively.
2. Tries to force shots and force plays that aren't there.
3. Tries very hard to make a difference. Probably would do better to let the game come to him.
4. Gritty, but not big enough to be intimidating.
5. Skilled, but not poised or smart enough to make it effective.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
It kinda sucks, cause I am starting to like Calgary being an Alberta boy but the way the media is kissing their ass this year I swear I am watching CNN news and not hockey ..That bimbo Campbell or whatever her name is was a total embarrassment ..the last game .i swear it sounded like she was in tears and who gives a rats ass if looch is looking mad .yep Calgary's making the playoff's cause louch is frowning

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

As a Flames fan his assessment is pretty terrible both now and in 2017.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Neal target and claimed in the expansion draft over multiple other great options. Signed a massive contract in Calgary Vegas couldn't afford to watch. Then robbed from Calgary from a foolish GM who doesnt value Messier level leadership

Messier level? Guess Neal should be wearing the C instead of McDavid then. That seems to be your argument.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
giphy.gif

Should be a fun read after the new year :laugh: Seasons aren't made or lost in October despite what the Hot Takeologists would have you believe.

They are when you are having a season like Dallas or NJ. The flames will be fine, but falling behind way behind early can be extremely difficult to come back from - given that teams ahead of you are getting ~10 OT/SO losses per year. Only takes 95ish points to make the playoffs in the Pacific, if a team gets only 2/12 points in a stretch of games, they've have to look for 12/16 to get back to 0.500.

See it all the time in baseball too. People think the season is long because you get 162 games, but when you're 12 games back by May, start looking to next year. Oilers always had this problem, start slow and the season just vanishes.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Flames look like they're still suffering the effects from getting beat by the Avs last playoffs. I'm not so sure they have recovered just yet.

Losing Neal and Smith hurt and even worse they go to their arch rivals, the Oilers. Smith is a pretty underrated leader in the locker room, he's always been known and has been said by many players who have played with him that he is one of the most vocal leaders.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Someone hasn't made a "Flamed out" comment/pun yet?

My goodness that burns me up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad