Are the Flames Overrated? (Warning: Post 75 & OP)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
he was such a bad distraction, the Flames had their best regular season in decades
Such a bad distraction we traded him for a 4th liner, thanks for coming out though.

No it couldn’t be contributed to multiple career/breakout years, a Norris D man season, Lindholm turning into a bonafide top liner, no, it was James Neal, on the 3rd/4th line, you got it figured.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It is 100% amusing watching the heel turn of Oilers fans who were happy to laugh it up when Neal was completely checked out and ****ting the bed in every situation last year, only to now praise him for his leadership and his drive now that he's feeding off McDavid.

When he goes cold, I hope you remember to pat him on the back for the good work he did for 8 games.
How are the Flames going to recover from the leadership they lost :cry:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Meanwhile, the Flames PP is soo good that you guys couldn't fit Neal on it last year, yet the entire team combined for half of Neal's goals on PP.

Neal on the PP was a hot mess last year. Nothing to do with fitting him in or not, he managed to just flub passes into the corner and cause turnovers

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Maybe if Neal was put on the top line he would have had 80 points

Neal has been better than Linhdolm his entire career. Including coming off of 25 and 23 goal campaigns (plus 2 cup runs). Maybe he should have gotten the top line butter minutes

Neal and Lindholm are now both getting those type of minutes and Neal is looking better. So who knows, maybe last year Neal would have been even better in those minutes

giphy.gif

Lindholm is 10x the player Neal is.

A) he takes faceoffs
B) is a defensive stud
C) kills penalties
D) actually competes
E) hits
F) is a +
G) scores even strength goals
H) more assists
I) better contract
J) actually has a shot unlike James "only score PPG from McDavid and Drai by the crease" Neal
Bonus:
K) is more handsome

I guarantee Lindholm at the seasons end will have more points than Neal by more than 20.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
giphy.gif

Lindholm is 10x the player Neal is.

A) he takes faceoffs
B) is a defensive stud
C) kills penalties
D) actually competes
E) hits
F) is a +
H) more assists
I) better contract
J) actually has a shot unlike James "only score PPG from McDavid and Drai by the crease" Neal
Bonus:
K) is more handsome

I guarantee Lindholm at the seasons end will have more points than Neal by more than 20.
I would like to point out Neal has more hits than Lindholm, also only has 1 more even strength goal than Neal.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
Maybe if Neal was put on the top line he would have had 80 points

Neal has been better than Linhdolm his entire career. Including coming off of 25 and 23 goal campaigns (plus 2 cup runs). Maybe he should have gotten the top line butter minutes

Neal and Lindholm are now both getting those type of minutes and Neal is looking better. So who knows, maybe last year Neal would have been even better in those minutes

There is a very good reason why Neal is good on the oilers and not the flames. Neal is good in front of the net. Oilers needed a guy like this and the flames have better guys that do the same thing he does. We didnt need a guy that can only shoot the puck. We need hockey players. Oilers were in despereate need of a guy who could stand there and wait for the puck and put it in.

Monahan is the shooter on the first line who stands close to the front of the net. No need for someone else who can only do that on his line.

Tkachuk is a net front monster who is elite with his tip ins. WTF is the one trick pony to do on this line if he cant stand in front of the net?

So when you are on a team that has players that are better at hockey who do the same thing you do you get demoted and pout. The oilers lack talent of everykind except for the 3 nhl lvl players that they have and none of those guys are net front guys. That is a perfect fit for them.

Neal never had a chance on the flames as we have players that are better at hockey who could do the same thing he does. Some players just wont fit on some teams as neal has shown in calgary.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
my only real criticism of the flames this year is how they're trying to spin the lucic-neal trade as 'mutually beneficial' for both teams. calgary didn't need toughness, they were already a pretty hard nosed team. meanwhile, lucic still can't score and neal is having the start of his life in edmonton.

lucic has fought twice. big whoop. literally any idiot can go out there and try to fight guys. lucic sucks. neal is good. calgary lost the trade by a mile. i rest my case

the flames are still one of the best teams in the west

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
my only real criticism of the flames this year is how they're trying to spin the lucic-neal trade as 'mutually beneficial' for both teams. calgary didn't need toughness, they were already a pretty hard nosed team. meanwhile, lucic still can't score and neal is having the start of his life in edmonton.

lucic has fought twice. big whoop. literally any idiot can go out there and try to fight guys. lucic sucks. neal is good. calgary lost the trade by a mile. i rest my case

Most fans will always spin things to try and make it look better when their team makes a poor trade. It was godawful from day 1, and anyone without their homer glasses on saw that.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
A) he takes faceoffs
B) is a defensive stud
C) kills penalties
D) actually competes
E) hits
F) is a +
H) more assists
I) better contract
Bonus:
K) is more handsome

I think K) really sent it home for me.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
It is 100% amusing watching the heel turn of Oilers fans who were happy to laugh it up when Neal was completely checked out and ****ting the bed in every situation last year, only to now praise him for his leadership and his drive now that he's feeding off McDavid.

When he goes cold, I hope you remember to pat him on the back for the good work he did for 8 games.

At least Neal will have been HOT some time this year! Unless you count Luc fighting as being productive (oh wait Flames fans do...)

Reactions: Hatrix

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I posted an explanation on this a while back in the James Neal 40+ goal thread:

Every team that has kept him have liked him. It's got to do with the up-coming talent on their rosters that kept them from keeping him :

-Dallas needed defence and had Benn
-Pittsburgh had Kessel/Letang to keep and needed 3rd line scoring/checking in Hornqvist
-Nashville needed to give up one of their younger forwards or give up Neal and felt giving up Neal was better for them than lose one of their younger guys as he was expendable with a loaded Top 6 already
-Vegas needed to resign all their players and didn't have the cap room to keep him in as well
-Flames were utilizing him into a 3rd line checker when he's a Top 6 scorer and played with guys like Bennett and Jankowski which isn't helping him at all

I'd say out of all those teams, the Flames were the only ones who wanted to 'get rid' of him.

Preds actually tried very hard to keep Neal at the expansion draft, but McPhee wanted a ton to pick someone else. I remember Poile being pretty mad about it.

Reactions: Hatrix

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Such a bad distraction we traded him for a 4th liner, thanks for coming out though.

No it couldn’t be contributed to multiple career/breakout years, a Norris D man season, Lindholm turning into a bonafide top liner, no, it was James Neal, on the 3rd/4th line, you got it figured.
No it shows Neal wasn’t much of distraction..just a narrative Flames fan like to peddle in order justify the trade a bit

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Preds actually tried very hard to keep Neal at the expansion draft, but McPhee wanted a ton to pick someone else. I remember Poile being pretty mad about it.

Oh I am sure they did. This is why people will spin whatever tale they want you to believe ie. Neal is cancer and garbage of a player.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

the flames are still one of the best teams in the west
We did need toughness, got pushed around physically and bullied in the playoffs, minus Bennett.

But I'm not going to spin the trade, Lucic was and still is awful. Not all Flames fans defend the trade, I hated Neal on the team last year but he still should have been worth alot more than Lucic. Was and still is a bad trade from an overrated gm.

Reactions: Saltcreek and valet

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Agreed. As a Flames fan I'd say losing Neal is no loss at all, but adding Lucic was really dumb. Even though Lucic is no worse as a Flame so far than Neal was, you still helped your biggest rival

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
No it shows Neal wasn’t much of distraction..just a narrative Flames fan like to peddle in order justify the trade a bit
They literally traded him for Lucic, no one else wanted him. LUCIC was all they could get, that speaks for itself as to how the organization felt about him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They literally traded him for Lucic, no one else wanted him. LUCIC was all they could get, that speaks for itself as to how the organization felt about him.
probably cause he wanted out and asked for a trade, much like Lucic did

hey, it's working out for us...another point (ES) tonight for him and is extremely dangerous on the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad