Are the Flames Overrated? (Warning: Post 75 & OP)

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Huge Flames fan but I think last year might have been a mirage. First line played out of their minds until the all star break and then it went downhill.

This year through 6 games the Flames have no points from their forwards outside of the top 5 (Gaudreau, Lindholm, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund). The rest of the forwards you may as well stick some AHL players on there and they'd be a better bet.

Defense is overrated as well, Brodie not good, Haminic overrated, Gio can't do it all and the other players young and inexperienced.

So, simply put is this Flames team even a playoff team the way it's currently built? And why did Treliving get an extension when his bottom 6 forwards is so bad and he traded for Lucic?

MOD WARNING: This thread isn't going to have fanbases (for lack of a better word) flaming each other or other posters adding fuel to the fire. The next person to do so will be handed an infraction and a thread ban.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BHD and Conbon

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Flames are playing with 3 out of 4 forward lines right now and will be going no where this year until they can admit to themselves that Lucic is f***in horrible at hockey. He literally kills an entire line by being on it. So your line with Lucic on it? That has 2 NHL players only. 2 out of 3. That bottom 6 that scored for you guys last year? Take that away and you get the crappy team you are seeing so far this season.

Oh, and Reider doesn't help either, but the Flames picked up those sloppy seconds too.

Reactions: Coffey

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Flames scored the 2nd most goals last season behind Tampa bay with pretty much the exact same team. Scoring goals wont be a problem.

Reactions: Mr Positive

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
True but was their bottom 6 ever so weak?

That's what happens when the Flames org. thinks they are clever by adding Oiler failures like Lucic and Reider and are arrogant enough to think that some magical Calgary formula can turn them around. You had a good bottom 6 last year, you self-inflicted its death by adding not one, but two black holes to it in the ever continuing inferiority-complex driven pursuit of one-upping the Oilers.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Flames have a long history of futility since 1989, so in my book no they are not over rated I expect them to do the same thing every season bomb out in the playoffs if they quality at all.

Calgary organization loves to cheap out on goalies and coaches for starters, and has not had an elite first line center since the early 90's. When Calgary does have world class players they end up being traded away, because reasons.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Nah, they got tougher with Lucic. That toughness really makes the team play bigger than they are. You cant take away the importance of toughness. Toughness.
Did they get tougher though? They lost Hathaway and gained Lucic. I don't see it as being that much tougher and at least Hathaway can play hockey.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Did they get tougher though? They lost Hathaway and gained Lucic. I don't see it as being that much tougher and at least Hathaway can play hockey.

Well the way the Flames Media is creaming all over Lucic, they make a pretty 'tough' case.

They would have been better off keeping Hathaway. But oh well.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Well the way the Flames Media is creaming all over Lucic, they make a pretty 'tough' case.

They would have been better off keeping Hathaway. But oh well.
They have to spin it. We just re signed our GM who has done a poor job for a few more years. Fans are not going to be happy if we keep losing.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
That's what happens when the Flames org. thinks they are clever by adding Oiler failures like Lucic and Reider and are arrogant enough to think that some magical Calgary formula can turn them around. You had a good bottom 6 last year, you self-inflicted its death by adding not one, but two black holes to it in the ever continuing inferiority-complex driven pursuit of one-upping the Oilers.
You forgot about Talbot in goal.

The media says the Flames got a game changer in Lucic. Don't worry, you will see what oiler fans have endured the past few years.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
They overachieved a bit last year but I still think they're a playoff team. They just have to stop playing the Oilers castoffs and they'll be fine. If Gio declines rapidly then they might be in trouble too, I suppose.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
They'll finish 2nd in the pacific after Vegas, I don't think they're going to take the west this year again IMO. A lot went right last year for them. I don't think they're rated that highly, they benefit from playing in the weakest division and are never a heavy favorite in a playoff matchup,

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
It's 6 games and they didn't look too bad tonight on a b2b. They are always a mostly slow starting team(even with teams that made the playoffs in their history). They're not likely to have a 50 win season again, I don't think even Flames fans expect as good of a regular season, but they should be alright to make the playoffs. I'd be surprised if they didn't. I'm sure a lot of fans would take a meh regular season if it meant a longer run in the playoffs rather than the other way like it was last season with the Flames.
Is there is something to be said about being in cruise control for the last month or 2 before the playoffs vs a battle tested team fighting for spots?

Last edited:

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
This is way too early in the season to even answer. The Flames will most certainly still make the playoffs but they may not finish top of the division. Adding Lucic and Reider may come back to haunt them but if they are given sheltered minutes then maybe they will do some good.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
last year they got at least 15 wins with last minute comebacks. They'd get a goal in the last minute that bounced off of four shoulders two legs and a stick laying on the ice to end up behind the goalie. They already did it once or twice this year. They were lucky last year, but that kind of luck cannot possibly continue. They take a step back this year without question.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Yup
David Rittich is their saving grace. The way they got dominated by Colorado in the 1st round last season, yikes
I think they fall back down to earth this season, and miss the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->