Are the Flames a serious Cup threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
They're finally playing up to their potential, and this is the best the Flames have played in decades, but there's a lot of season left. To contend, they need to stay healthy, have what's working continue to work, and have their snakebit players like Neal, Ryan, and Bennett start to hit the scoresheet more often. Any semblance of league average goaltending from Smith wouldn't hurt either. They also need to improve their defensive consistency.

After watching the flames for years and years, I'd say they usually don't live up to the promise, but this group seems unusually resilient and confident so far. Their team spirit seems to have improved quite a bit from the gulutzan years. I'd still hold off on calling them contenders, they just have a lot more to prove before that label. I've definitely enjoyed the ride so far, really hope they can continue to roll for the rest of the way and win at least a round or 2 in the playoffs

Reactions: TheRealPepman

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
They have excellent underlying stats, their top 4 forwards are exceptionally amazing and one of the best Quartet in the league. But their overall depth is still not amazing, and goaltending remains to be seen. I wouldn't say they are a serious cup threat but they're definitely a good contender by the looks of it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It’s time for an ‘04 rematch for sure. I’d label them a dark horse. They are primed to have a good run in he playoffs, whether the pieces fall into place for a run to the finals remains to be seen.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
You have to be good and at least a little lucky to win a Cup. Flames are good. They have a legit shot at it.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
No. Behind Giordano (who is arguably having a Norris worthy season), their D is nothing special. Bad or mediocre goaltending. Offensively they are right up there but I think the goaltending and lack of D depth will sink them.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No. Behind Giordano (who is arguably having a Norris worthy season), their D is nothing special. Bad or mediocre goaltending. Offensively they are right up there but I think the goaltending and lack of D depth will sink them.
Hanafin and Hamonic were both highly coveted and make great second pair guys.

Brodie is a perfect compliment to Giordano.

The kids are playing great on the bottom pair.

Reactions: Rasmi

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Hanafin and Hamonic were both highly coveted and make great second pair guys.

Brodie is a perfect compliment to Giordano.

The kids are playing great on the bottom pair.

Good second pairing for sure, but wouldn't call them great. Their top 4 pales in comparison to their competition and the biggest question mark and issue will be the goaltending. I have no doubt their offense would be able to keep up but even in that regard they aren't ahead of everybody else. Sure, anything can happen in the playoffs but I personally don't consider them a serious Cup threat.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Good second pairing for sure, but wouldn't call them great. Their top 4 pales in comparison to their competition and the biggest question mark and issue will be the goaltending. I have no doubt their offense would be able to keep up but even in that regard they aren't ahead of everybody else. Sure, anything can happen in the playoffs but I personally don't consider them a serious Cup threat.
Hanifin and Hamonic has been one of the best #2's in the league. They give up 13 less shots than they get/60 and aren't sheltered at all. (Get less ozs% than Gio/TJ and play a high % of minutes against opposing top lines)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Lol.

Gio may not even be the most dynamic player on his pair. He's an amazing player but Brodie is every bit a part of that pairing's dominance.

And Kylington/Andersson/Valimaki/Stone/Prout has to be the best group of "bottom pair" Dmen in the league.

Rittich is having an outstanding season and is just entering his prime.

About the only thing remotely correct in your post is that Giordano is arguably having a Norris worthy season.

Last edited:

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Playoffs, yeah. Contender? No. When was the last time a team won the Cup with questionable goaltending? Maybe 2010 Blackhawks and 2006 Carolina, but other than those the past 18 winners have had Top 5 goalies playing well all season.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Scary team, if the goalies can stay decent.

Pretty deep at forward and defense.... skill and toughness, good mix of youth and vets. Could see them adding silfverberg

I also see them addin at deadline, to increase their depth

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Scary team, if the goalies can stay decent.

Pretty deep at forward and defense.... skill and toughness, good mix of youth and vets. Could see them adding silfverberg

I also see them addin at deadline, to increase their depth

What would you like for Silf? I'd love to target him, Simmonds, or Ferland.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
If Rittich can play as he did against the Jets last game, yes, if they get goaltending in the style of Hiller when he was in Flames, no

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
They have one. His name is Rittich. Top 10 goalie in the league at this point.

Or did you mean to say if their goalie stays consistent?

If Rittch can continue to play the way he has thus far and in to the playoffs, don't see any reason why they wouldn't be a contender. Just think he's unproven.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Rittich can play as he did against the Jets last game, yes, if they get goaltending in the style of Hiller when he was in Flames, no

Hiller actually played very well in his first season with the Flames in 2014-2015. What's funny is that, the best season post-Kiprusoff of all goalies was 2014-2015 Jonas Hiller.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
2nd round exit. they need ferland back or someone similar.

I think they have as good a chance as anybody to get through the pacific. At which point they probably play a beat up Winnipeg or Nashville team. Anything can happen, just have to get hot at the right time

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Im definitely not sold yet. Too much inconsistencies for too long.

Ask me again towards year end and maybe ill come around

As of now i have Nashville san Jose and winnipeg easily ahead - maybe even Vegas.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Nashville, Winnipeg and Vegas I could see but I don’t see it with San Jose. They have really looked impressive or dominant too often this season and if anyone would question Calgary’s goaltending (legit question for sure), how could you not question the disaster that is Martin Jones and his terrible backup Dell?

Reactions: Hot Pockets

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
[MOD] You haven't watched a flames game this year. Even with mediocre tending from Smith, he is winning. Their D is solid 1-7. Their top 4 D are having great years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
In 2015, the Flames "arrived" per HFBoards.

In 2016, the Flames un-arrived.

In 2017, the Flames "arrived" again.

In 2018, the Flames un-arrived again.

I guess they're due to "arrive" again in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad