Are the Flames a serious Cup threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bond

May 10, 2012
To those saying the flames have overachieved before, they also haven't had a roster close to this good in the post-Kipper years. IMO one of the keys has been upgrading on meh players like Stajan, Wideman, Kulak, Brouwer, Bartkowski, Stone who were all playing too much. They've replaced them with legitimately talented players like Anderson, Valimaki, Jankowki, Ryan, Kylington, etc.

I know but you go back to when we acquired Jokinen and he was supposed to be the last piece. Scored two goals in his first game and then stank.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Eh, I was a big fan of how the Jets players talked last year once the media started talking about them being contenders. You gotta make the dance first, then take it one game at a time.

Do I think we're a playoff team? Yeah, it would take a pretty bad second half to knock us out, but not impossible either if the injury bug hits hard. Contender? I'd rather not put that label on ourselves. We barely have any playoff experience on this team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Better than the top 5 in the league goaltending they are getting from Rittich? Like top three? Weird take considering they are second in the league in goals for and differential.

Out of curiosity, how did you score Ritter as having top 5 goaltending exactly? He's not top 5 in any goalie category that normally kind of tells that story.

IF you haven't followed Calgary, and I'm assuming you haven't because you think pointing at goaltending is a hot take; Mike Smith has been dog shit for Calgary. Essentially we've given up 3-5 games just based on horrid goaltending. Like goalie beat clean by a wrister between the blue line and circle without traffic bad. Calgary's record is so much more impressive, in spite of goaltending. Rittich has been a really, really solid addition. Being a goalie in Calgary doesn't take much, to be honest, you face the 4th least shots in the league, especially as the year has gone on, the quality of those shots has really gone down too. The fact that Rittich can give you solid to great goaltending every night, is the reason he's like 13-4 or whatever.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Bottom 6 is sub par and their top line is too soft. A good team, but still not good enough to compete with the best 4 or 5 teams in a 7 game series.

I agree. I think they are over performing. Still a lot of hockey left but they do play in a pretty weak division.. Likely the weakest in the NHL. They have a PDO that screams regression and that is with some pretty meh goaltending which means I see them regressing even more.

That said, I think they can win a round just because of how weak their division is and they likely get to play a team from there.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Serious threat? No, not really. Certainly a darkhorse candidate or maybe a sexy pick that isn't the mainstream choice like Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, or Nashville at this stage. I don't think they have the goaltending needed to make it past the second round unless it's a favorable matchup. I think either the Sharks or the Knights would take them then in a seven game series. They should beat a team like the Ducks or Avs or Stars though in the first round.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bottom 6 is sub par and their top line is too soft. A good team, but still not good enough to compete with the best 4 or 5 teams in a 7 game series.

Calgary's depth is one of the best in the league; that's a weird hot take.
The bottom 6 on any given night is littered with guys who've scored 15-20 goals, and prolific junior scorers, not many teams have that.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I agree. I think they are over performing. Still a lot of hockey left but they do play in a pretty weak division.. Likely the weakest in the NHL. They have a PDO that screams regression and that is with some pretty meh goaltending which means I see them regressing even more.

Do you ever have an original thought that wasn't cribbed from 3 year old threads? What exactly about the Flames current PDO is unsustainable?

Bond

May 10, 2012
Serious threat? No, not really. Certainly a darkhorse candidate or maybe a sexy pick that isn't the mainstream choice like Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, or Nashville at this stage. I don't think they have the goaltending needed to make it past the second round unless it's a favorable matchup. I think either the Sharks or the Knights would take them then in a seven game series. They should beat a team like the Ducks or Avs or Stars though in the first round.

I'd rather face the Sharks than the Ducks.

Reactions: crackdown44

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009

That said, I think they can win a round just because of how weak their division is and they likely get to play a team from there.
Lol flames 18th in PDO, leafs 2nd. Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I’m really interested to see how far this core can go. If everything goes right I see a conference finals appearance this year. Obviously they need more experience though

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Wait. What.
upload_2019-1-3_9-50-21.png

Also, the 'weak' division in the Pacific will still have to go through the Western Conference champs last year, and a preseason cup favourite in the sharks.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Sharks are a more dynamic and deeper team than the Ducks. I don't know why anyone would want to face the Sharks over the Ducks at this stage.

I agree the Sharks are a better team but for whatever reason the Ducks just have some magic juju where they own the Flames. It would just be natural for them to upset the Flames in a playoff series.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No. Behind Giordano (who is arguably having a Norris worthy season), their D is nothing special. Bad or mediocre goaltending. Offensively they are right up there but I think the goaltending and lack of D depth will sink them.
So much wrong with this statement. So much ignorance. Except the part about Gio.
The Flames have the 6th best GA/GP in the league at 2.76. if Gio is the only one keeping the puck out of the net he should be awarded the Norris now... Not just be "arguably having a Norris worthy season". David Rittich, or as we like to call him... Big Save Dave, who has played in the majority of Flames games has, in 23 GP, a .920 Sv% and a 2.39 GAA. So much for your "D being nothing special" and "bad or mediocre goaltending" statements.

As to defensive depth, the Flames have played a significant portion of the season without defensive regulars RD Michael Stone (11 GP) and LD Juuso Valimaki (22 GP). So much for the lack of D depth argument.

But you go ahead and continue to believe what you want to believe. Don't let the facts get in the way of your evaluation.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Goaltending will be the key, if Rittich plays like he did in the last game the Jets played them, they can beat anyone. Their offense can be dynamic and the depth on defense is incredibly impressive. Well built team and Peters seems to be pushing the right buttons. Still can't believe how well Lindholm is playing.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
No. Behind Giordano (who is arguably having a Norris worthy season), their D is nothing special. Bad or mediocre goaltending. Offensively they are right up there but I think the goaltending and lack of D depth will sink them.
One would expect that if this were true, that we would not be sitting at 6th in GAA...

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

They're 7th in PDO. It's not like they've got crazy PDO numbers like Toronto and Washington. They're barely above average.

EDIT. The chart showing them in 14th is only shooting PDO I believe. Once you factor in goaltending they're 7th.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Calgary's depth is one of the best in the league; that's a weird hot take.
The bottom 6 on any given night is littered with guys who've scored 15-20 goals, and prolific junior scorers, not many teams have that.

yeah, but what are they doing this year? just because a guy like Bennett scored in junior doesnt change the fact that he is on pace for 10-12 goals this year. Or James neal..on pace for less than 10 goals. I dont think Calgary's bottom 6 matches up well with teams that are legit threats to win the cup.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree the Sharks are a better team but for whatever reason the Ducks just have some magic juju where they own the Flames. It would just be natural for them to upset the Flames in a playoff series.

I would think it depends on what kind of team the Ducks can ice at that point. They're not the same team obviously without a good and healthy Corey Perry which although he may get back into the lineup by then, I don't think he'll be at a good level by the playoffs. They have had a string of injuries throughout the years that it's hard to guess what kind of team they're going to have by then. I think a combination of that and the Flames getting a little deeper up front this off-season have put them ahead to where past juju won't matter anymore.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
So much wrong with this statement. So much ignorance. Except the part about Gio.
The Flames have the 6th best GA/GP in the league at 2.76. if Gio is the only one keeping the puck out of the net he should be awarded the Norris now... Not just be "arguably having a Norris worthy season". David Rittich, or as we like to call him... Big Save Dave, who has played in the majority of Flames games has, in 23 GP, a .920 Sv% and a 2.39 GAA. So much for your "D being nothing special" and "bad or mediocre goaltending" statements.

As to defensive depth, the Flames have played a significant portion of the season without defensive regulars RD Michael Stone (11 GP) and LD Juuso Valimaki (22 GP). So much for the lack of D depth argument.

But you go ahead and continue to believe what you want to believe. Don't let the facts get in the way of your evaluation.

I was refraining myself from coming back here to answer any posts, since I don't really care to debate on this matter, or whether I'm right or wrong. I stated my (un)educated opinion and it's up to the team to prove me right or wrong.

But the whole problem with the "Flames being a serious cup threat" is the fact the team is playing really hot right now and no one has any idea if it's sustainable or not. It's not uncommon for an unknown and unproven goalie to go on a hot streak with the whole team. 23 games played is an indication of really nothing. He's been good for a stretch but doesn't elevate the goalie situation from being a question mark come playoffs time. Same applies to this so called great or one of the best 2nd pairing in the league.

If everything's still the same after 82 games of regular season I will be happy to come back and raise my hand call myself out for having a bad prediction. But as of right now and based on recent past, I'm not going to change my mind no matter how many Flames' fan quotes me with 'facts'.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I would think it depends on what kind of team the Ducks can ice at that point. They're not the same team obviously without a good and healthy Corey Perry which although he may get back into the lineup by then, I don't think he'll be at a good level by the playoffs. They have had a string of injuries throughout the years that it's hard to guess what kind of team they're going to have by then. I think a combination of that and the Flames getting a little deeper up front this off-season have put them ahead to where past juju won't matter anymore.

True. I would still think the Flames would lose both games at the Honda Center.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
yeah, but what are they doing this year? just because a guy like Bennett scored in junior doesnt change the fact that he is on pace for 10-12 goals this year. Or James neal..on pace for less than 10 goals. I dont think Calgary's bottom 6 matches up well with teams that are legit threats to win the cup.

I mean, creating chances and dominating possession for one? Who are the bottom 6 of teams that are legit cup threats? Essentially the bottom 6 of Calgary consists of any mix of:

Sam Bennett, Michael Frolik, Austin Czarnik, James Neal, Mark Jankowski, Derek Ryan, Garnet Hathaway, Dillon Dube, Andrew Mangiapane.

You're talking about mostly guys on pace for 25-35 points; or guys that fill overly important roles for this team (Elite PKers, Physical players, etc).

IT's really, really funny that Flames fans have been super pumped about how good our overall depth is, and how well they've played this season, and your hot take is that they're sub par :laugh:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
But the whole problem with the "Flames being a serious cup threat" is the fact the team is playing really hot right now and no one has any idea if it's sustainable or not. It's not uncommon for an unknown and unproven goalie to go on a hot streak with the whole team. 23 games played is an indication of really nothing. He's been good for a stretch but doesn't elevate the goalie situation from being a question mark come playoffs time. Same applies to this so called great or one of the best 2nd pairing in the league.

If everything's still the same after 82 games of regular season I will be happy to come back and raise my hand call myself out for having a bad prediction. But as of right now and based on recent past, I'm not going to change my mind no matter how many Flames' fan quotes me with 'facts'.
So in your eyes, the way the Flames are playing is unsustainable, even though they've actually been sustaining their level of play since the end of October, which amounts to over two months and nearly half a season?

Just curious, how long does a team need to play well before you stop dismissing them as simply "on a hot streak"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad