Are the Flames a serious Cup threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I predicted Calgary in the Cup final at the start of the season. (Predict now the two SC finalists....) They have everything. If they can get good goaltending they can win it.

But I'll be eager to see how they do against Boston today. The Bruins are one of the best teams on the forecheck and the best team at defending the forecheck and the cycle in the league.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
[MOD]You haven't watched a flames game this year. Even with mediocre tending from Smith, he is winning. Their D is solid 1-7. Their top 4 D are having great years.

[MOD]. Barely a half the regular season behind us so we'll just have to wait and see how things unfold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bond

May 10, 2012
I am still waiting for the choke job. The Flames have under delivered so many times. Until they finish the season at a good clip I am not sold.

Reactions: HugginThePost

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I predicted Calgary in the Cup final at the start of the season. (Predict now the two SC finalists....) They have everything. If they can get good goaltending they can win it.

But I'll be eager to see how they do against Boston today. The Bruins are one of the best teams on the forecheck and the best team at defending the forecheck and the cycle in the league.

I’m very much looking forward to Bergy vs our first line. Especially since Boston has the last change I imagine he’ll be on them all game long. I wish Calgary wasn’t on a back to back but still should be a good one

Also, Gillies might start (yikes)

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
At this point yeah they likely are. In the West I think they're there with the Jets, Preds (when healthy), Sharks and Knights. Not sure any of those teams is significantly better than another.

As for the Boston game tonight, it could be interesting. It's the back end of a road back-to-back for the Flames with Gillies potentially getting his first NHL start of the season. Gillies' AHL numbers are pretty ugly this year, so it may not be pretty...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well. They're a really, really good team.
They're certainly a cup threat if they make the playoffs; because most top seeds would be.

All that being said, if they get Rittich in his current form in the playoffs; that top talent, depth, and defensive core is one of the best league wide.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
They're firing on all cylinders and unlike a team like the Jets, the Flames are greater than the sum of their parts. Getting rid of Dougie Hamilton fixed the chemistry on the team, and I think that Peters is getting 110% out of that group of players.

They could get slashed to pieces in the first round, or they could win the whole thing.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
To those saying the flames have overachieved before, they also haven't had a roster close to this good in the post-Kipper years. IMO one of the keys has been upgrading on meh players like Stajan, Wideman, Kulak, Brouwer, Bartkowski, Stone who were all playing too much. They've replaced them with legitimately talented players like Anderson, Valimaki, Jankowki, Ryan, Kylington, etc.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I think Tampa is too good for any other team is be considered a threat to them. Anything can happen, all the same.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
2nd round exit. they need ferland back or someone similar.
Bennett and Tkachuk both fill exactly that role and are probably more consistent with their physical/pest role.

The Flames do need better goaltending and more playoff experience though.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I think Tampa is too good for any other team is be considered a threat to them. Anything can happen, all the same.
This isn't the NBA. The cup is not Tampa's to lose. They are middle-of-the-pack in GA and bottom 3rd in shots against in the NHL.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

To be fair, Calgary has to worry about Tampa Bay; only if they win 12 games in the playoffs :laugh:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Good second pairing for sure, but wouldn't call them great. Their top 4 pales in comparison to their competition and the biggest question mark and issue will be the goaltending. I have no doubt their offense would be able to keep up but even in that regard they aren't ahead of everybody else. Sure, anything can happen in the playoffs but I personally don't consider them a serious Cup threat.
By what metric is their top 4 "pailing" in comparison to the competition. They've been dominant in shutting other teams down. Let up very few shots, and if Smith had an average save percentage, they'd be a leader in goals against.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
This isn't the NBA. The cup is not Tampa's to lose. They are middle-of-the-pack in GA and bottom 3rd in shots against in the NHL.
I just think they have incredible top end talent as well as depth at every position to not be considered the hands down favorite, meme stats be damned.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Bennett and Tkachuk both fill exactly that role and are probably more consistent with their physical/pest role.

The Flames do need better goaltending and more playoff experience though.
Better than the top 5 in the league goaltending they are getting from Rittich? Like top three? Weird take considering they are second in the league in goals for and differential.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Bottom 6 is sub par and their top line is too soft. A good team, but still not good enough to compete with the best 4 or 5 teams in a 7 game series.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
To those saying the flames have overachieved before, they also haven't had a roster close to this good in the post-Kipper years. IMO one of the keys has been upgrading on meh players like Stajan, Wideman, Kulak, Brouwer, Bartkowski, Stone who were all playing too much. They've replaced them with legitimately talented players like Anderson, Valimaki, Jankowki, Ryan, Kylington, etc.

Honestly, Flames just skipped a year of rebuild; then the bottom fell out.

2015: PDO fueled run to the second round of the playoffs. This team overachieved. This team got 15+ goals from Lance Bouma and Dennis Wideman, 10+ goals from Josh Jooris, Mason Raymond and David Jones. Not sure if you noticed, but most of these guys aren't even in the league anymore. They're good.

2016: PDO fueled run stops, the team gives up a tonne of scoring chances and is outplayed/coached almost every night. They suck.

2017: Coaching change, they sneak into the playoffs off the back of their top 2 forwards and top D. Goaltending stands up, and collapses in the 1st round. They're okay, they're a young team.

2018: Coaching runs its course. Depth is exposed to being overly weak. Goaltending don't stand up, even though this team doesn't give up many chances.

2019: Coaching change, one of the best coaches the Flames have had in recent memory. Team improves depth to the Nth degree, is getting reasonable goaltending from Big Ttich. Star players have taken steps forward. Matt Tkachuk rounding into an elite talent.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Honestly, Flames just skipped a year of rebuild; then the bottom fell out.

2015: PDO fueled run to the second round of the playoffs. This team overachieved. This team got 15+ goals from Lance Bouma and Dennis Wideman, 10+ goals from Josh Jooris, Mason Raymond and David Jones. Not sure if you noticed, but most of these guys aren't even in the league anymore. They're good.

2016: PDO fueled run stops, the team gives up a tonne of scoring chances and is outplayed/coached almost every night. They suck.

2017: Coaching change, they sneak into the playoffs off the back of their top 2 forwards and top D. Goaltending stands up, and collapses in the 1st round. They're okay, they're a young team.

2018: Coaching runs its course. Depth is exposed to being overly weak. Goaltending don't stand up, even though this team doesn't give up many chances.

2019: Coaching change, one of the best coaches the Flames have had in recent memory. Team improves depth to the Nth degree, is getting reasonable goaltending from Big Ttich. Star players have taken steps forward. Matt Tkachuk rounding into an elite talent.

We were fit to make the playoffs last year too, just coaching was terrible and the fans could see it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
They're firing on all cylinders and unlike a team like the Jets, the Flames are greater than the sum of their parts. Getting rid of Dougie Hamilton fixed the chemistry on the team, and I think that Peters is getting 110% out of that group of players.

They could get slashed to pieces in the first round, or they could win the whole thing.

I think if the Flames can get past the first 2 rounds the sky’s the limit for them. However, we have to push ourselves for those 8 wins. Luckily, it’s a 7 game series and I think Peters seems like a coach that can figure out a way to pull out 4 wins from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad