Are the Flames a serious Cup threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Unstoppable. Who can stop their many PPG players. Brodie has taken the next step. Rittich is the real deal. Watch out Eastern Conference!

Reactions: Sk8M8

kungfugazi

Sorgoi Foderev
Nov 11, 2018
QC
Maybe. If their goaltending gets hot at the right time, I could see them going deep in the playoffs. They got the depth.

Safe bet would be, they need a little bit more playoff experience (and more consistent goaltending) before reaching that next level. They seem to capitalize on their opponent's mistakes a lot, but the playoffs is a different beast. It's usually a tighter game. Not to say that they play a one dimensional game, far from it.

But also, yeah, Vegas didn't seem to care, so what do I know.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Skill, Toughness and speed is a dangerous combination. The Flames have that.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Generally, Outshooting opponents + plentiful high skilled F's + good goalie = cup contender.

They definitely have the 1st 2. rittich is the wild card for them. If he keeps it up, yes- If he begins to fall off, no.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I really only see Tampa as a true contender at this point. The Peters hire has payed off very very well as has the Hamilton trade for the Flames.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Nope.......the Preds and Jets are basically the only serious threats from the West...the Flames are pretenders that will not last....

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Im not celebrating yet, still lots of season left and I have been let down oh so many times but if they can play like they have so far for the rest of the season they definitely would look like a decent pick

You Calgary fans are so humble, man. It clearly comes from the many years where your team never tanked and always tried to compete every single year. Especially when competing came at the price of getting a truly high-end player and kept you in that limbo of no top-3 selection. I'm glad your draft picks have made it big because you guys deserve it. Kinda like the Sharks, always trying to compete and rebuild on the fly and never doing a scorched-earth rebuild.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Nope.......the Preds and Jets are basically the only serious threats from the West...the Flames are pretenders that will not last....

I'm actually more worried about the Jets than I am the Preds at this point. Jets had a good team last season and they're even better this season. I can honestly say I see the Jets in the finals this year.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Nobody except Tampa is a legitimate cup contender right now

I don’t think this is a year for the Flames to go all in so to speak, but then again I don’t want them to waste a year of prime Giordano.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Looking good so far. Balanced scoring, legit top-4 D, physical when they need to be, Rittich is solid, and Smith has been better.

Only 1/2 way through the season. A lot can change.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I'd say the Flames are a playoff team. Whether they are contenders is a different story. The second half of the season is still a long road, and it only gets tougher the closer it gets to playoffs (the non-playoff teams like to try to play spoiler, other playoff teams want to get the feel of what a potential series will be and play hard). I'll be willing to talk cup threat if we get to the WCF first. Until then, the boys got to put on their skates and still just play their game and get there first.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The goaltending will be an issue long term imo. Everything else is legit and Treliving should get full credit for what he's done thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad