OT: Anything Goes 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I need to go see an audiologist in the near future. My hearing out of my left ear has gone from meh to borderline nothing in the span of the past few months.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I checked out after the Glenn thing (although Negan is awesome).
A huge number checked out after that. I stayed until the end. It definitely wasn't as strong at the end. But with what else is currently on tv, we had no problem staying with it.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
A huge number checked out after that. I stayed until the end. It definitely wasn't as strong at the end. But with what else is currently on tv, we had no problem staying with it.
Been with it the whole time too. I only have to watch the finale from yesterday, and I'll have watched it start to finish. The last two seasons or so got really good again, IMO.

Reactions: Giovi

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Been with it the whole time too. I only have to watch the finale from yesterday, and I'll have watched it start to finish. The last two seasons or so got really good again, IMO.
I thought it finished strong as well. Truthfully, I looked forward to watching it its entire run. But it did sag for a while around the time Rick left.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just an fyi example for how costs have outpaced everything, I'm working on a release for a Cook County property that was recorded in 2015 for $66 for one doc and $54 for a second, or $120 total. Nowadays, it'd cost a flat $103 apiece, or $206 total. Nothing like a 71% rate hike in 7 years.

Yeesh.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yep, they're struggling but they are building a pretty good foundation that will take some time. But the ridiculous part was to say Cat is gone if they don't put it together immediately.

You really think he's going to stay if the Sens suck? There's a reason why he didn't immediately sign a new contract with them.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You'd actually be wrong here, and studies have shown it.

You really resurrected this conversation from that long ago? Haha.

Studies going all the way back to the 60's have determined that the risk of being in a crash is 1.38 times higher with a BAC of .05. For a 160lb man, that is roughly 3 drinks. And we'll leave the legal limit out of this for now, as it's not really relevant to what you claim. We'll also take that 160lb man mark as nonsense, also, as the "average" man is not only 160lbs in 2022. The average man over 20 years old, in 2022, is like 200lbs.

For the purposes of standardization, a drink is defined as 12 ounces of 5% alcohol beer; five ounces of 12% alcohol wine; or one and a half ounces of 80 proof (40% alcohol) liquor. To account for an individual imbibing over a longer period of time, subtract about 0.01% for each 40 minutes of drinking time.

Essentially, after one drink, you would have a roughly 0.5 times(at the maximum) higher risk of getting in an accident. And that's taking into account the person would likely have to drink that drink in a very, very short period of time, and then get behind the wheel immediately. Like taking a shot when you walk in there, then leaving and getting in your car to drive away. If I stretch that beer, cocktail, or wine out over an hour and a half dinner? I'm at .00 when I walk out the door, and at zero higher risk of causing an accident. He's not wrong. One drink is not going to impair the typical individual enough to cause an accident, or even increase the risk. Particularly if it's a single drink stretched out over a dinner somewhere. If you have a .08 BAC, a study showed that there's a decrease of reaction time by 1/10 of a second. And it's generally understood that the average 160lb man would need roughly 4 drinks to reach that limit.

Here's a resource to help show what I said above.

Based upon that BAC calculator, after one drink at dinner, my BAC would be .015. Then subtract .015 based upon each hour I've spent metabolizing the alcohol. In a single hour(and most dinners out are longer than a single hour), I would be .00, and have zero higher risk of causing an accident, let alone a significantly higher risk. I'd be no different than anyone else in there that chose not to have a drink.

I'm sorry, but I'll stand by my previous declaration, as well as TI's, and my brother's, that a single drink is not going to impair you significantly enough to raise the risk of an accident in any way. There are so many other factors, also. What if someone is 210lbs? Or maybe 250? What if they stretch that 1 or 2 drinks over 4 or 5 hours? This argument that a single drink over dinner impairs someone enough to raise the risk of a crash significantly is absolute f***ing nonsense. I don't even need to show the math. You can just glance at the numbers to understand that the average person who has a single drink at dinner, will walk out of the restaurant with exactly the same risk of causing an accident as any person in there that didn't have a drink.

Last edited:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
You really resurrected this conversation from that long ago? Haha.

Studies going all the way back to the 60's have determined that the risk of being in a crash is 1.38 times higher with a BAC of .05. For a 160lb man, that is roughly 3 drinks. And we'll leave the legal limit out of this for now, as it's not really relevant to what you claim. We'll also take that 160lb man mark as nonsense, also, as the "average" man is not only 160lbs in 2022. The average man over 20 years old, in 2022, is like 200lbs.

For the purposes of standardization, a drink is defined as 12 ounces of 5% alcohol beer; five ounces of 12% alcohol wine; or one and a half ounces of 80 proof (40% alcohol) liquor. To account for an individual imbibing over a longer period of time, subtract about 0.01% for each 40 minutes of drinking time.

Essentially, after one drink, you would have a roughly 0.5 times(at the maximum) higher risk of getting in an accident. And that's taking into account the person would likely have to drink that drink in a very, very short period of time, and then get behind the wheel immediately. Like taking a shot when you walk in there, then leaving and getting in your car to drive away. If I stretch that beer, cocktail, or wine out over an hour and a half dinner? I'm at .00 when I walk out the door, and at zero higher risk of causing an accident. He's not wrong. One drink is not going to impair the typical individual enough to cause an accident, or even increase the risk. Particularly if it's a single drink stretched out over a dinner somewhere. If you have a .08 BAC, a study showed that there's a decrease of reaction time by 1/10 of a second. And it's generally understood that the average 160lb man would need roughly 4 drinks to reach that limit.

Here's a resource to help show what I said above.

Based upon that BAC calculator, after one drink at dinner, my BAC would be .015. Then subtract .015 based upon each hour I've spent metabolizing the alcohol. In a single hour(and most dinners out are longer than a single hour), I would be .00, and have zero higher risk of causing an accident, let alone a significantly higher risk. I'd be no different than anyone else in there that chose not to have a drink.

I'm sorry, but I'll stand by my previous declaration, as well as TI's, and my brother's, that a single drink is not going to impair you significantly enough to raise the risk of an accident in any way. There are so many other factors, also. What if someone is 210lbs? Or maybe 250? What if they stretch that 1 or 2 drinks over 4 or 5 hours? This argument that a single drink over dinner impairs someone enough to raise the risk of a crash significantly is absolute f***ing nonsense. I don't even need to show the math. You can just glance at the numbers to understand that the average person who has a single drink at dinner, will walk out of the restaurant with exactly the same risk of causing an accident as any person in there that didn't have a drink.
I’m really not interested in going through this again, but I’d be remiss in not addressing a few of your points.

1. First, you chose an “average” male of 200 pounds as your benchmark. Slightly more than half of the population is women. Half of the male population is below the average weight (you don’t specify if the 200 pounds is a mean or median, but I won’t quibble). So your universal extrapolation wouldn’t apply to 3/4 of the population.

2. You conveniently assume that everyone drinks their drink to completion at minute zero and then wait an hour. People might have their drink after dinner. People might stop for a drink and leave five minutes later. Your point amounts to “if you wait to drive until you’re sober, then you’re sober” which is uninteresting and true no matter how many drinks one has.

3. Your claim that after one drink one is “0.5 times(at the maximum) higher risk of getting in an accident” literally makes no sense. I have no idea what you’re trying to say, but I have to think you’re not actually claiming that one is 1/2 as likely to get in an accident after a drink than before a drink.

4. You’ve now set the bar at “significant” impairment, without defining it. But who are you to set it there? What about those of us who don’t want drivers even moderately or marginally impaired by alcohol?

5. Your own link says the following: “It would be extremely foolish for anyone to pretend that the "Drink Wheel" can tell you what your BAC actually is. There are too many variables that determine your BAC and level of impairment and intoxication that cannot be taken into account in any chart or formula.

A person's actual BAC is dependent on many complex factors, including their physical condition (body composition, health, etc.) and what they have recently ingested (including food, water, medications and other drugs).”

Your own source plainly advises that it is “extremely foolish” to use the source in the manner you went ahead and did anyway.

6. Not drinking and driving is so easy. So easy. It’s weird and sad how important it is to you guys.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I’m really not interested in going through this again, but I’d be remiss in not addressing a few of your points.

1. First, you chose an “average” male of 200 pounds as your benchmark. Slightly more than half of the population is women. Half of the male population is below the average weight (you don’t specify if the 200 pounds is a mean or median, but I won’t quibble). So your universal extrapolation wouldn’t apply to 3/4 of the population.

2. You conveniently assume that everyone drinks their drink to completion at minute zero and then wait an hour. People might have their drink after dinner. People might stop for a drink and leave five minutes later. Your point amounts to “if you wait to drive until you’re sober, then you’re sober” which is uninteresting and true no matter how many drinks one has.

3. Your claim that after one drink one is “0.5 times(at the maximum) higher risk of getting in an accident” literally makes no sense. I have no idea what you’re trying to say, but I have to think you’re not actually claiming that one is 1/2 as likely to get in an accident after a drink than before a drink.

4. You’ve now set the bar at “significant” impairment, without defining it. But who are you to set it there? What about those of us who don’t want drivers even moderately or marginally impaired by alcohol?

5. Your own link says the following: “It would be extremely foolish for anyone to pretend that the "Drink Wheel" can tell you what your BAC actually is. There are too many variables that determine your BAC and level of impairment and intoxication that cannot be taken into account in any chart or formula.

A person's actual BAC is dependent on many complex factors, including their physical condition (body composition, health, etc.) and what they have recently ingested (including food, water, medications and other drugs).”

Your own source plainly advises that it is “extremely foolish” to use the source in the manner you went ahead and did anyway.

6. Not drinking and driving is so easy. So easy. It’s weird and sad how important it is to you guys.

As far as it being "important" to anyone, it's not. It's a discussion, on a discussion board, with two different views, and people debating it. If you don't like the conversation you can always just scroll by, no?

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If I have even a single drink I don't drive, literally even one sip. I know I am different in this but I just refuse to get behind the wheel if I drink. I am not judging those who drive after a drink or few (under the legal limit; if you drive over then that is a much different discussion) so please don't take it that way.

In saying this, I get pretty drunk sometimes and like doing so even though I like all booze tastes bad (except piña coladas). I just don't have a taste palate that like the taste of booze. I also can't drink beer. The weirdest thing is that I never drink and eat at the same time as it ruins food for me (makes me sick as well).

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Some people don’t understand there’s not an exact correlation between how much you drink and how drunk you are. It varies based on a lot of factors. Some people also have different relationships with alcohol and how much they consume, if any, and that shapes their whole perception on the affects alcohol has on people.

You’re not Satan-incarnate if you have a couple drinks and drive home. The subjectivity of it all makes people uneasy but it’s true. There’s a reason the limit is .08. It’s been tested extensively. I think the opinion that anyone who had a single drink shouldn’t drive is completely absurd. It’s fine if you personally have a lower alcohol tolerance and one drink really does make you tipsy and impaired but that’s not the case for everyone.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Some people don’t understand there’s not an exact correlation between how much you drink and how drunk you are. It varies based on a lot of factors. Some people also have different relationships with alcohol and how much they consume, if any, and that shapes their whole perception on the affects alcohol has on people.

You’re not Satan-incarnate if you have a couple drinks and drive home. The subjectivity of it all makes people uneasy but it’s true. There’s a reason the limit is .08. It’s been tested extensively. I think the opinion that anyone who had a single drink shouldn’t drive is completely absurd. It’s fine if you personally have a lower alcohol tolerance and one drink really does make you tipsy and impaired but that’s not the case for everyone.

It is crazy to me how certain types of alcohol affect people. Using myself as an example, if I have 8-9 vodka sodas or Reposado waters I am able function normally in social settings (no slurring, no loss of coordination, loss of balance, etc.) BUT if I drink 4 Miller Lites I am sloppy, falling over, and slurring disaster (I even get T-rex arms). It makes zero sense but it happens (I never drink beer because of this). Another weird this is that I can drink Reposado and Anejo tequilas just fine but if someone gives me a Blanco and water I instantly vomit.

Some boozes make people fight, some make people cry, and some make people happy. I makes no sense to me and everyone is different.

(Yes I know 8-9 drinks in a night is too many but I get drunk and that is what I do sometimes on the weekends).

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is crazy to me how certain types of alcohol affect people. Using myself as an example, if I have 8-9 vodka sodas or Reposado waters I am able function normally in social settings (no slurring, no loss of coordination, loss of balance, etc.) BUT if I drink 4 Miller Lites I am sloppy, falling over, and slurring disaster (I even get T-rex arms). It makes zero sense but it happens (I never drink beer because of this). Another weird this is that I can drink Reposado and Anejo tequilas just fine but if someone gives me a Blanco and water I instantly vomit.

Some boozes make people fight, some make people cry, and some make people happy. I makes no sense to me and everyone is different.

(Yes I know 8-9 drinks in a night is too many but I get drunk and that is what I do sometimes on the weekends).

The human body is a really strange thing. There's absolutely a reason for the difference between Vodka sodas and beer. It's your body recognizing one and adapting because it know the effects, and not recognizing the beer. Even though both are alcohol, the body and brain react to them differently.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The human body is a really strange thing. There's absolutely a reason for the difference between Vodka sodas and beer. It's your body recognizing one and adapting because it know the effects, and not recognizing the beer. Even though both are alcohol, the body and brain react to them differently.

Yeah. Crazy part is that I used to drink beer without issue but then randomly a few years ago something changed and bam sloppy T-rex BK. :dunno:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah. Crazy part is that I used to drink beer without issue but then randomly a few years ago something changed and bam sloppy T-rex BK. :dunno:

I can't drink Miller Lite. It gives me a splitting headache after 2 of them. I have given up even trying to understand it. My body just hates Miller Lite. There are some liquors I can drink like you drink those vodka drinks. Vodka soda is actually one of them. And there are others that make me sloppy as f***. Like Irish Whiskey. Same amount of alcohol over the same amount of time, totally different effects. There's also some shit about the amount of fusel or waste alcohol they have in them, that makes a difference, as well. Good luck figuring it all out. Again, the human body is f***ing strange.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

Talk about not understanding how the world works and then repeating what you said about .08. Ffs, buy a clue.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I don’t even see why this topic was resurrected. Is this going to be a periodic thing where xTI & co. lead a circle jerk in defense of drinking and driving?

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Might want to check who brought it up.

Do you get nosebleeds from that high up on your pedestal?
Imagine being so douchey as to mock disdain for drinking and driving as moral superiority.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Imagine being so douchey as to mock disdain for drinking and driving as moral superiority.

Driving while impaired is f***ing idiotic. Nobody here disagrees with that. We're discussing what actually constitutes being impaired. Being of the opinion that nobody should drive even after a single drink is absolutely moral superiority.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I know I will be in the minority but I think there should not be limit and instead just have a 0.0% policy.

Why not just make it black and white?

In saying this I would also like for the insurance companies to subsidize rides home with the Uber type services and other ride services (obviously with a limit on the number of rides). Yes they would need a way to validate rides but this could be done with apps and the ride services.

Is this realistic? Most likely not but I can dream. I also just hate seeing the damage that impaired drives can cause.

Again, I am not judging other for driving under the legal limit but the .08% limit terrifies me because everyone reacts different with booze and I have seen people get sloppy with 1-2 drinks. Chances are they blow under but they are still not fit to drive. The human body is just crazy like that.

Distracted driving is another scary issue that keeps getting worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad