OT: Anything Goes 35 - Tony O Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
The idiot waited a day. Might have deep tissue damage.
Unless you could see the spider and know it's a brown recluse, the first thought would be no big deal. Would be easy to wait before rushing to med center. We have brown recluses all over where I live; killed more in my own house than I can remember. Fortunately they are 'reclusive' and generally run away and hide when the lights come on.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Buddy at work got bit by a brown recluse. Knew they were dangerous but holy hell his leg looks like he got grabbed my a necromancer and it started to turn him into a zombie.

Where did this happen?

Isn't Southern Illinois/Mid Illinois about as far as they go when it comes to North?

Chicagoland/Northwest Indiana I was under impression was out of the habitat

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Legitimately spent twenty minutes in my weekday morning routine getting my son ready for daycare before I remembered it was Saturday. Honestly thought it was Friday.

Morning dad brain, man.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I saw a bald eagle flying around yesterday on 290 near the Austin exit. Pretty cool. Never seen one in real life and didn’t know the live over here

There are a ton of them in the Chicagoland area now. They've made a big comeback. There has been a family of them nesting near Tampier Lake in Palos Park for years now. Lots of people seeing them up north by the chain of lakes. I've seen them on the Illinois River, also. I fish the river a lot in fall and winter and spot them there all the time. Awesome that they've made a comeback to Illinois.

January is prime time to see the area's growing bald eagle population; here's where you can spot them

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
There are a ton of them in the Chicagoland area now. They've made a big comeback. There has been a family of them nesting near Tampier Lake in Palos Park for years now. Lots of people seeing them up north by the chain of lakes. I've seen them on the Illinois River, also. I fish the river a lot in fall and winter and spot them there all the time. Awesome that they've made a comeback to Illinois.

January is prime time to see the area's growing bald eagle population; here's where you can spot them

Had no idea they were there. I think I’ve only seen a few on the PNW coast.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

AT&T did not go dark yet its not listed by NBC Sports Chicago as a carrier of channel

They seem to have taken extension which must mean talks are going well enough while Dish walked away from talks

The message across screen stopped about losing channel a few days ago when watching Sox game on U-Verse so I assume like Disney deal that shows they are close in talks (Message stopped on ESPN/etc and then deal was made like a week later)

Dish seems to be in far steeper death spiral then any other provider and its hardline stance seems to be costing them channels all over the place especially sports networks

Last edited:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
these cable disputes are nuts.

fully expecting to get hosed like dodgers fans did over the new cubs network.

and i think my dad missed the entire cards season over a dispute between the fox sports stl affiliate and dish. and the messed up thing is he had switched to dish specifically to get that channel because his regular central illinois cable company didn't have it yet mlb blacked him out from seeing it over mlb.com.

so much effort to stop fans from getting what they want even when they want to pay for it

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I still don't get why blackout restrictions exist for streaming platforms. If I pay for NHL.tv and my brother pays for his MLB streaming package, why does it matter what market I'm or he's in to watch a game? Just let me watch the damn thing on the platform that I want and am paying for. I get it, to try to get people to not cut cable, but that a) shouldn't be a league's concern, b) shouldn't impact especially people a decent way's away from the actual market (me, for instance, in Central Illinois, would be counted as being in both the Chicago and St. Louis markets and assuredly in the Indy market as well in the NFL), c) just opens the door for fans to be held hostage over nonsense cable disputes like this, and d) is a pain in the ass for legitimate consumers that do have both cable and the paid subscription (though at least Xfinity streaming is easy for me).

Not to mention that there are parts of the country claimed by loads of teams there you could theoretically be blacked out by a sixth or more of the league if you just do happen be from a mid-sized town nowhere near an and actual pro city.

Last edited:
Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I still don't get why blackout restrictions exist for streaming platforms. If I pay for NHL.tv and my brother pays for his MLB streaming package, why does it matter what market I'm or he's in to watch a game? Just let me watch the damn thing on the platform that I want and am paying for. I get it, to try to get people to not cut cable, but that a) shouldn't be a league's concern, b) shouldn't impact especially people a decent way's away from the actual market (me, for instance, in Central Illinois, would be counted as being in both the Chicago and St. Louis markets and assuredly in the Indy market as well in the NFL), c) just opens the door for fans to be held hostage over nonsense cable disputes like this, and d) is a pain in the ass for legitimate consumers that do have both cable and the paid subscription (though at least Xfinity streaming is easy for me).

Not to mention that there are parts of the country claimed by loads of teams there you could theoretically be blacked out by a sixth or more of the league if you just do happen be from a mid-sized town nowhere near an and actual pro city.
RE: the bolded

It matters because without the league protecting all of its clubs' negotiated rights deals, it's not a $9 billion dollar business. The league doesn't actually care about people cutting cable, it just ends up looking that way indirectly because the teams all deal with these networks who don't distribute directly to consumers.

I agree that the territories are far too large and that having overlaps is stupid, but that's just how it is.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Inch or two of snow up by work this morning and currently snowing.

More snow please. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad