OT: Anything Goes 31: Topicality Still Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm not knocking the second call (though, I wouldn't have done it today but that's not the point) I'm just saying don't make a third one anytime soon. They'll get your messages and they know to get back to you. As others have said it's Monday and a workplace has a million other things going on besides getting to your call/message is all. Know how it is, you're anxious as **** lol, We've all been there. Hell, I'm there right now myself. I know how you feel.

Oh that’s the last call I’ll make for sure haha. I basically just wanted to let it be known I wanted the job, so that’s why I called the second time. But yeah, you’re right.. although this is most important to me, it’s definitly not the same level for them.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wife went back to work and I'm on a second mini-paternity leave for this week to keep watch on the kiddo for a final week before we start relying on grandparents and daycare next week.

If I had to describe fatherhood in five words or less, it'd be "immensely rewarding and equally draining."

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So when I got offered the job on Friday, they told me to just take the weekend or whatever to think about it. Guess I should have just said yes at that very moment, because now I’m anxious. Called at about 8:30 this morning to tell him I wanted the position, but it went to his voicemail. Left a message saying I wanted to talk about the offer, and I never heard back from him all day. Just tried again, but I got voicemail again. This time I just said I wanted the position, so that way he knew for sure.

I’m not really sure what to think. I mean I would think if something happened for whatever reason, they still would have reached out and told me. But come on, why can’t this just ****ing go smooth?!

If he brings it up, sir, when I woke Monday morning, I woke up reborn with an insatiable desire to work for this company. I was actually calling you early in the morning to see if it was ok if I came in. I’m very passionate about my work, that’s part of what you’re getting.

Obviously just joking, it’ll be fine. Just start celebrating as if you got the job and wait for the call. And there’s probably a better than zero chance it comes Friday at 5pm so definitely stop worrying about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Had to take the 2 month old to the ER last night. She had a fever of 101.3. Called the doctor and she said to go to the ER. Her sister (19 month) had a fever the day before but it's a lot scarier in infants. Ultimately the ER doctor said everything looked ok and we just need to give her some Tylenol to keep the fever down, but it didn't look like anything serious.

What a nerve racking experience. Thankfully everything looks ok.

Reactions: BK and ChiHawks10

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Had to take the 2 month old to the ER last night. She had a fever of 101.3. Called the doctor and she said to go to the ER. Her sister (19 month) had a fever the day before but it's a lot scarier in infants. Ultimately the ER doctor said everything looked ok and we just need to give her some Tylenol to keep the fever down, but it didn't look like anything serious.

What a nerve racking experience. Thankfully everything looks ok.

Had you given her Tylenol prior to the ER visit and it was staying at 101.3?

Having to take a baby to the ER is a horrible experience. Had to take my guy when he was a little over a year old and that was bad enough, couldn't imagine it at 2 months.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
My kid had like a 101-105 fever for like 6 days when he was 4 or 5. Had to put him in an ice bath at one point. Horrific.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My kid had like a 101-105 fever for like 6 days when he was 4 or 5. Had to put him in an ice bath at one point. Horrific.

A 105 fever should have had him at the ER immediately. A 105 fever can cause permanent brain damage and/or death. Not lecturing, just saying. I always waited on taking my kids until they got over 103(which they never did, so they never had to go to the ER). Most the time it's manageable with Tylenol, unless they actually need an antibiotic. But yeah, 105 is bad...

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Had you given her Tylenol prior to the ER visit and it was staying at 101.3?

Having to take a baby to the ER is a horrible experience. Had to take my guy when he was a little over a year old and that was bad enough, couldn't imagine it at 2 months.

So we got her up from a nap after dinner and she was burning up. We gave her Tylenol and called our doctor who said we had to go to the ER. Hospital we went to was 20 minutes away, so it was probably an hour after we gave the Tylenol that we were seen. When they checked her there the temp was down to like 99, so the Tylenol was obviously working. Doctor checked her out and said everything looks fine. She wasn't throwing up or lethargic or anything and was going to the bathroom normally. So he said it was probably just a bug and not something to worry about beyond keeping the fever down. We probably would have been fine not going (and not having to pay for the visit), but the doctor said to go, so what can you do? I'd rather be overly cautious, especially when they are that little.

The ER is no fun, but this was a lot easier than when I took my other daughter when she was about a year. She and my wife (7 month pregnant at the time) had been throwing up and had a fever. Daughter wouldn't go down to sleep for hours, just screaming in her crib. Wife is sick in bed trying to sleep and can't, so it's just me trying to comfort my daughter for like 2 hours (felt like a week) while she's screaming. I was losing my mind. Finally, I had enough and said we had to go to the ER. Ultimately, everything was ok, just a bug or whatever and they were more concerned with my wife not being able to keep anything down while pregnant.

That was so much worse because my daughter was crying and screaming in obviously discomfort and I couldn't calm her down. Last night with the baby, other than having a temp, she seemed fine and normal.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
When they are older, right? But for infants, everything I read was 100.4. Maybe that's too cautious, I don't know.

100.4 is the point at which an infant is considered to have a fever per the American Academy of Pediatrics. 97-100.3 is considered normal. And I should have prefaced by saying my post wasn't directed at you nor was it a lecture or questioning your parenting or anyone's parenting. A child with a fever, period, is scary. Let alone an infant.

I was a medic for years and also worked in an ER, so my patience and nerves are a little bit calmer than most people, though when my own kid got sick that slightly went out the window a little bit.

I'm not sure you can ever be too cautious when it comes to your children, especially at that age. Many unknowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
100.4 is the point at which an infant is considered to have a fever per the American Academy of Pediatrics. 97-100.3 is considered normal. And I should have prefaced by saying my post wasn't directed at you nor was it a lecture or questioning your parenting or anyone's parenting. A child with a fever, period, is scary. Let alone an infant.

I was a medic for years and also worked in an ER, so my patience and nerves are a little bit calmer than most people, though when my own kid got sick that slightly went out the window a little bit.

Oh, I know it wasn't directed at me, or a questioning/judgement, no worries.

Our 19 month had roughly the same temp the day before and we weren't nearly as concerned. From the stuff I read, under 3 months old is a different standard and it's much more concerning.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
If he brings it up, sir, when I woke Monday morning, I woke up reborn with an insatiable desire to work for this company. I was actually calling you early in the morning to see if it was ok if I came in. I’m very passionate about my work, that’s part of what you’re getting.

Obviously just joking, it’ll be fine. Just start celebrating as if you got the job and wait for the call. And there’s probably a better than zero chance it comes Friday at 5pm so definitely stop worrying about it.

Haha. That made me laugh.

He emailed me and told me he was unexpectedly out of the office all day, and he apologized. He’s giving me a call during his lunch break, so all is good. I am just way more anxious than normal. Combine the fact that I already had two jobs fall through, and that I turned down a job offer for this position, there was just a lot riding on this. But, all is good, as I should have expected from the beginning.

I actually got another call today about coming in for an interview for the same position at another company, but I’m glad I’m done going through the interview process - for now, of course haha.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
On another note, I’m going to Big 10 Media days next week. I will be staying with some people I know in Lakemoor, and then heading to the media days at the Chicago Marriot on N Michigan Avenue.

Does anyone know if there is a way I can take a train in? I prefer not to drive all the way in there, so I’m trying to find alternative routes. Thanks for any advice!

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Haha. That made me laugh.

He emailed me and told me he was unexpectedly out of the office all day, and he apologized. He’s giving me a call during his lunch break, so all is good. I am just way more anxious than normal. Combine the fact that I already had two jobs fall through, and that I turned down a job offer for this position, there was just a lot riding on this. But, all is good, as I should have expected from the beginning.

I actually got another call today about coming in for an interview for the same position at another company, but I’m glad I’m done going through the interview process - for now, of course haha.

This type of stuff happens a lot it seems. Either people are out or admin stuff is holding up process, etc. Its almost never a rescinded offer situation. Jobs care about getting people started but it never seems to be do or die for them. One more day for HR to finalize stuff just means one more day a team they don’t work on is shorthanded...

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
This type of stuff happens a lot it seems. Either people are out or admin stuff is holding up process, etc. Its almost never a rescinded offer situation. Jobs care about getting people started but it never seems to be do or die for them. One more day for HR to finalize stuff just means one more day a team they don’t work on is shorthanded...

That’s very true. It’s just another part of a process for them, whereas it’s much higher up the list for me. Just how it works. In this case, he actually was home with a sick kid, so that’s why he didn’t get back to me.

Anyway, he called me back, and I start July 30. I’m pretty excited to get started.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That’s very true. It’s just another part of a process for them, whereas it’s much higher up the list for me. Just how it works. In this case, he actually was home with a sick kid, so that’s why he didn’t get back to me.

Anyway, he called me back, and I start July 30. I’m pretty excited to get started.

You should have called him at least 2-3 more times... :sarcasm:

Congrats again!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Glad it's official, congrats! Waiting to hear back on something myself so let's keep that positive energy going this week haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad