Prospect Info: Anyone believe Sandin is better than Lilly presently???

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Liljegren has 2 goals and 7 points in his last 12 games. Maybe his confidence is growing.

It’s good that he has Sandin on his team, an equally young player that does not seem to be intimidated by playing with and against much older players.

I think lily was a little intimidated his first year.

Time will tell.

Wtf are you smoking? Lilly has 2 points in his last 12 games.. It's been a terrible year of setbacks for both our blue-chip prospects..Lilly has been a regular pastry chef offering up many turnovers on a nightly basis. He's gotta fix his on-ice awareness and improve his spatial IQ or he won't stand a chance in the big leagues. Sandin has competence in all aspects save for the fact that he's a bit undersized.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Wtf are you smoking? Lilly has 2 points in his last 12 games.. It's been a terrible year of setbacks for both our blue-chip prospects..Lilly has been a regular pastry chef offering up many turnovers on a nightly basis. He's gotta fix his on-ice awareness and improve his spatial IQ or he won't stand a chance in the big leagues. Sandin has competence in all aspects save for the fact that he's a bit undersized.

haha your right on the stats, he had 7 points in his first 12 games of the year... I cannot comment on his play as I have not seen any broadcasts.

LEBOOM

Mar 10, 2019
I'd rather fail in the playoffs with Sandin or Liljegren than Marincin/Holl/Oz if Gardiner or Dermott aren't back in time. At least if the 2 young guns fail, they can learn from it and improve next year. Those other 3 are just useless plugs with no long term future on the Leafs.

Reactions: dsred

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I'd rather fail in the playoffs with Sandin or Liljegren than Marincin/Holl/Oz if Gardiner or Dermott aren't back in time. At least if the 2 young guns fail, they can learn from it and improve next year. Those other 3 are just useless plugs with no long term future on the Leafs.

You're right, its about long term success. If that is the goal, then we need to ensure both Sandin & Lily develop the right way. Calling them up prematurely when we have depth to cover some holes is equivalent to the JFJ/Burke/Nonis era.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
To be honest they seem to be a 1A 1B situation like Marner and Nylander were pre 2016-17 season. I like Lily's upside a bit more but Sandin seems like he's currently more NHL ready.

LEBOOM

Mar 10, 2019
You're right, its about long term success. If that is the goal, then we need to ensure both Sandin & Lily develop the right way. Calling them up prematurely when we have depth to cover some holes is equivalent to the JFJ/Burke/Nonis era.
Over seasoning your players because you saw the Red Wings do it is just as bad as rushing them. Look at the Bolts with MS and the Bruins with McAvoy...certainly didn't hamper them.

This obsession with placing every player in the minors for 3-5+ years before calling them up is stupid. There's not a 1 size fits all development program for prospects. Sandin has shown that he has tremendous IQ for his age and has excelled in the AHL.

For all those worried about him being ruined if he were called up for the postseason, what if he kills it? You now know you have one less hole to worry about and losing Gardiner is more feasible.

Reactions: dsred

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Neither prospect should be called up to the NHL until there is no chance our Leafs would have to expose them to the upcoming expansion draft. That, I'm sure of!

Reactions: ZippityDooDa

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I think the difference between the two is that Lily tries to force the high risk passes and that is when he is prone to giveaways. Sandin usually makes the smart plays but from what I have seen they are both pretty good under pressure and getting the puck out of the zone. Lily just needs to crack down on making the safer plays and he could be a very good player for us. Glad to have both.
I think the jury is out in the longer run. IMO, they had a leash on Rielly offensively for a few years until he got better defensively. It wouldn't surprise me that they are doing the same with Lil. If true, he might be able to add an additional dimension in time.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Over seasoning your players because you saw the Red Wings do it is just as bad as rushing them. Look at the Bolts with MS and the Bruins with McAvoy...certainly didn't hamper them.

This obsession with placing every player in the minors for 3-5+ years before calling them up is stupid. There's not a 1 size fits all development program for prospects. Sandin has shown that he has tremendous IQ for his age and has excelled in the AHL.

For all those worried about him being ruined if he were called up for the postseason, what if he kills it? You now know you have one less hole to worry about and losing Gardiner is more feasible.

Serg and McAvoy play with seasoned vets. Not sure it would be a great idea to feed 2 rookies to the wolves, all while fighting for a playoff spot.

I suggest 'over seasoning' because we are witnessing those results from Kapanen & Johnsson. I think Sandin could make the jump, I actually think he will someday be our Niklas Lidstrom. But it won't hurt him playing top pairing minutes for the rest of this season and perhaps the first 3 quarters of next season.

Gee, we haven't even touched on the potential implications your suggestion would have on the upcoming expansion draft. We need to take advantage of our ELCs and that is what Dubas and co. are doing.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Serg and McAvoy play with seasoned vets. Not sure it would be a great idea to feed 2 rookies to the wolves, all while fighting for a playoff spot.

I suggest 'over seasoning' because we are witnessing those results from Kapanen & Johnsson. I think Sandin could make the jump, I actually think he will someday be our Niklas Lidstrom. But it won't hurt him playing top pairing minutes for the rest of this season and perhaps the first 3 quarters of next season.

Gee, we haven't even touched on the potential implications your suggestion would have on the upcoming expansion draft. We need to take advantage of our ELCs and that is what Dubas and co. are doing.

Tampa has Cernak (21) and Sergachev (20) in its top four.

Boston has McAvoy (21) and Carlo (22) in its top four.

The idea that we have to keep our kids buried in the minors for years on end is silly - and in a cap world, it just kills you. The reality of a capworld is that you need to use those cheap young talents to fill out your roster, like all the top teams do.

We stupidly hurt ourselves last year by chaining our young talents Kappy, Johnsson, and Dermott into strict tiny-minute bottom-line roles. And them all being impact players now when they get a chance is clear proof of that. Playing them more could have easily led to winning a couple rounds last year.

We're only hurting ourselves.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
“Playing the kids” is the single biggest reason why the Leafs have transformed the way it has, need to start trusting the younger guys on D

Reactions: Once

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

The idea that we have to keep our kids buried in the minors for years on end is silly - and in a cap world, it just kills you. The reality of a capworld is that you need to use those cheap young talents to fill out your roster, like all the top teams do.

We stupidly hurt ourselves last year by chaining our young talents Kappy, Johnsson, and Dermott into strict tiny-minute bottom-line roles. And them all being impact players now when they get a chance is clear proof of that. Playing them more could have easily led to winning a couple rounds last year.

Or maybe this is why they have become impact players.

Reactions: Buds17

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010

I think the reality of our cap situation points toward milking their ELCs. I wouldn’t be opposed to calling up Lily if he had a more consistent year. But he hasn’t had that. We shouldn’t be in the business of killing a young defenders confidence. For instance, imagine Babcock and an unpredictable Liljegren on the backend. I just don’t see it as the best option for this year.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Both Sandin and Liljegren are heating up and thriving with greater ice-time and larger responsibility. We are very fortunate to have both these kids. Hopefully they can continue to move forward in their development the remainder of the regular season and take a big leap with a long playoff run. I would love to see these guys as our 3rd pair next season with the Leafs, if they have a strong finish to this season and a good camp.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I like both and want them to make in NHL. We actually have pretty good defense core in Marlies. Rosen should fill spot on the leafs a and Borgman as well.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Liljigren = Gardiner
Sandin = Dumba

IMHO, and as someone who watches every Marlies game, those are the player comparables. Liljigren has a harder shot then Gardiner but everything else reminds me of him. Sandin is exactly like Dumba to me

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Literally the only reason I want them down is to keep them from the expansion draft. If they are ready to go next year let them fly though.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Sandin just turned 19 a few days ago and Liljegren will be 20 in about 7 weeks...Both are progressing very well...They won't be moved up until they are ready...Comparing them to other teams' young defencemen moving up to the NHL mean nothing...Situations vary from organization to organization...If it happens to be 2020/2021 so be it.

Reactions: beebuzz

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Exactly. Luke Schenn comes immediately to mind. Rushed along and never will be the plater he could have been.

I'm confident and so are a lot more of us in the Leafs desire to not rush but only call up when a player is over ready.

It would be amazing to see
Lilly-Sandman as our 3rd pairing next year but I'm not going to be upset if they are not. They guaranteed will the following season. Cheap cap hits with very high upside. Just what we need then.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If Marincin gets hurt before Rosen/Borgman are back, I honestly think they'll call one of these guys up.

Reactions: beebuzz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad