Prospect Info: Anyone believe Sandin is better than Lilly presently???

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I think they will make a good pairing in the NHL at even strength. Sandin will help out the on the PK and Liljegren will help out on the PP.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Being a teenager in the AHL, most obviously.

If he was Canadian, he's still be in junior and he'd probably be wrecking the place.

Like, where do you even get the notion that these numbers represent a "stifled" offense? There's basically no sample body of teenage AHL defensemen to draw from, and the examples that do exist are all uncommon circumstances. How do you know .37ppg isn't really good for someone in his position? Dermott put up similar numbers in his rookie year, but was 20 years old already.

Notion is league wide performance.

Now if you're suggesting he's too young to be evaluated you might be correct.

Perhaps he shouldn't be in the AHL because it is only exceptional players that should be there at that age.

If we have to say we can't evaluate him against his peers because he has no peers due to his age maybe they've made a mistake with him there, and perhaps his injuries are due to being physically unprepared for where he's playing?

Or maybe he just isn't an offensive defenseman.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Notion is league wide performance.

Now if you're suggesting he's too young to be evaluated you might be correct.

Perhaps he shouldn't be in the AHL because it is only exceptional players that should be there at that age.

If we have to say we can't evaluate him against his peers because he has no peers due to his age maybe they've made a mistake with him there, and perhaps his injuries are due to being physically unprepared for where he's playing?

Or maybe he just isn't an offensive defenseman.
You could just as easily infer that he is both exceptional and almost peerless from the same statement, depending on how you wish to colour it.

Personally I thought Lily would show more offensively than he has so far. But I think he has shown more defensively than I expected.

Sandin looks like a vet. He just smacks of someone who will be steady for years.

Reactions: ULF_55

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think that in the off season theyll acquire a guy like Pysyk (#4 defensive guy, making 2-3 million)

If Liljergren makes the jump:

Rielly-Pysyk type
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Dermott-Liljergren

or if Sandin makes it

Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Sandin-Pysyk type
I don't really think Pysyk is a top four type of player. He's struggled in a bottom pairing role this season. Looks more to me like a complementary bottom four guy who goes where his partner takes him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Based on last Sundays game at Coca Cola against Islanders farm team I still see same issues from Lilly in his own end. He is still trying to figure out when to attack offensively in the defense zone. And for the life of me I do not understand why Sandin in on the PP and Lilly rides the pine. I think Sandin is very strong in his own end but not as creative offensively. But Keefe clearly sees it differently.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sandin is the newer shinier toy .

it's more than that. Sandin's hockey sense is through the roof. elite. his tools are just a little more limited - he's a bit small, and only a good not great skater. there's legit reason to like him better. he's really good.

Lilly has the better tools - he's thicker physically, he's a beautiful skater, with nice puck skills. but he doesn't have sandin's hockey sense.

Lilly looks more like you'd expect from a teenager in the AHL - obviously good but still making youthful mistakes.

Sandin, though, looks like a vet out there. just not as dynamic a skillset.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
it's more than that. Sandin's hockey sense is through the roof. elite. his tools are just a little more limited - he's a bit small, and only a good not great skater. there's legit reason to like him better. he's really good.

Lilly has the better tools - he's thicker physically, he's a beautiful skater, with nice puck skills. but he doesn't have sandin's hockey sense.

Lilly looks more like you'd expect from a teenager in the AHL - obviously good but still making youthful mistakes.

I see that too. Why does Keefe play Sandin on PP? To me that is where Lilly can shine with more space. I sat there at game asking myself why? sure Lilly made a couple gaffes but you can see he is trying to create offense. Maybe Keefe did not want to take risks in a close game?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
our teams full of bums. all our prospects are bums. this team will be going no where with this current group of over paid bums.

Didnt think id ever say it after all these years of horrible teams. I dont think I can watch another game with this group of players. been beyond a pathetic year. and I dont see anything getting better anytime soon.

eliminated in 4 games this playoffs.
Then disappear and stop posting?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I see that too. Why does Keefe play Sandin on PP? To me that is where Lilly can shine with more space. I sat there at game asking myself why? sure Lilly made a couple gaffes but you can see he is trying to create offense. Maybe Keefe did not want to take risks in a close game?

tbh I don't see either of them as elite offensive, #1 PP types in the NHL, so I'm not so sure it matters.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
But people treating t like we can only have one good thing. Suddenly Lilly became expandable because we have Sandin. He is in every trade talk now . Dribes me mental. How about let this guy develop and have him play in the position where we got most trouble.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Thanks to @Budsfan for posting the article

Maple Leafs' Timothy Liljegren wants to crack lineup ‘as soon as possible’ - Sportsnet.ca

“It was a lot too soon for him,” says Keefe, who believes the off-ice work Liljegren invested should have long-term dividends. “We think he’s in a really good place, and we’ve really liked his game since he’s been back.”
Naturally, there’s still plenty of space to grow. Instructions to shout.

Keefe wants to see Liljegren sharpen into a power-play threat, both shooting and distributing. His puck-carrying and breakouts can improve. Eleven points through 31 games is more than respectable, but there’s more to untap.

“Overall, he needs to play — and play a lot. And he needs to stay healthy. He needs that to get confidence and find some rhythm. We really like the progress he’s made defensively, defending against the rush especially. He kills a lot of plays early,” says Keefe, encouraging creativity.

“[Keefe] can be hard on us, but at the same time he understands that you have to be creative, so he lets us be creative. That’s fun. But he can be hard on you, too. You have to push every day. It’s a good environment for young guys to be in,” Liljegren says.

“I have a pretty good shot, but I have to get it through traffic. Play more mature. Raise my lowest level. Every part of my game has to get better if you want to play in the NHL.”

Liljegren downplays the trade interest his skills have attracted from opposing franchises, although he is encouraged by the knowledge that Dubas ruled both he and Sandin off-limits, steering the L.A. Kings, for instance, instead toward prospects Carl Grundstrom and Sean Durzi in the Jake Muzzin deal.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks to @Budsfan for posting the article

Maple Leafs' Timothy Liljegren wants to crack lineup ‘as soon as possible’ - Sportsnet.ca

“It was a lot too soon for him,” says Keefe, who believes the off-ice work Liljegren invested should have long-term dividends. “We think he’s in a really good place, and we’ve really liked his game since he’s been back.”
Naturally, there’s still plenty of space to grow. Instructions to shout.

Keefe wants to see Liljegren sharpen into a power-play threat, both shooting and distributing. His puck-carrying and breakouts can improve. Eleven points through 31 games is more than respectable, but there’s more to untap.

“Overall, he needs to play — and play a lot. And he needs to stay healthy. He needs that to get confidence and find some rhythm. We really like the progress he’s made defensively, defending against the rush especially. He kills a lot of plays early,” says Keefe, encouraging creativity.

“[Keefe] can be hard on us, but at the same time he understands that you have to be creative, so he lets us be creative. That’s fun. But he can be hard on you, too. You have to push every day. It’s a good environment for young guys to be in,” Liljegren says.

“I have a pretty good shot, but I have to get it through traffic. Play more mature. Raise my lowest level. Every part of my game has to get better if you want to play in the NHL.”

Liljegren downplays the trade interest his skills have attracted from opposing franchises, although he is encouraged by the knowledge that Dubas ruled both he and Sandin off-limits, steering the L.A. Kings, for instance, instead toward prospects Carl Grundstrom and Sean Durzi in the Jake Muzzin deal.
He says he wants to see him develop into a PP threat but yet he does not play him on the PP. Makes no sense to me. I think it is pretty clear to everyone who watches the Marlies that his game, if anything, is going to be offensive. He is not a defensive stellar player. Sandin is the clear best defensive player on that team and it is not even close.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He says he wants to see him develop into a PP threat but yet he does not play him on the PP. Makes no sense to me. I think it is pretty clear to everyone who watches the Marlies that his game, if anything, is going to be offensive. He is not a defensive stellar player. Sandin is the clear best defensive player on that team and it is not even close.
Lilly plays on the 2nd PP unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad