Prospect Info: Anyone believe Sandin is better than Lilly presently???

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Keefe seems impressed with Sandin in this short article. There is a funny Sandin quote in it also where he says that " honestly he has never played for a franchise as big as the leafs before" haha to funny.

Here is the article: Redirect Notice

I hope he is another Dermott type. It seems like he is to me. I really like Lilly's game but he hasn't been getting the compliments this kid does yet.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Both have had terrific years. Liljegren was just plagued with a high ankle sprain.

Why Leaf fans always do these battles is beyond me. We have two great d-man prospects. Sandin is a two-way guy, while Liljegren is an offensive talent. They are in the same tier.

I could see both playing games for us next season.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He might end up being better, who knows? As a LHD and RHD respectively, they likely wouldn't figure to be in direct competition with each other though for the most part.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Liljegren has 2 goals and 7 points in his last 12 games. Maybe his confidence is growing.

It’s good that he has Sandin on his team, an equally young player that does not seem to be intimidated by playing with and against much older players.

I think lily was a little intimidated his first year.

Time will tell.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think they're at least very close, so when you account for Sandin being a year younger, he should be seen as the better prospect. The development curve for players at that age is huge, so an extra year is a big advantage.

Sandin's also exactly what we need (aside from not being a RHD). A very calm PMD that can get the puck out of our zone effectively and works well under pressure. Less prone to the gaffs some PMD make when you pressure them, even though his offensive ceiling is probably lower.

Reactions: unitedstars87

AM34WN29MM16

Nov 4, 2017
Sandin has exceeded expectations. Expectations of Lilly were higher to start, so to some, he hasn't exceeded those expectations. Is Sandin better than Lilly presently? Maybe at the AHL level but even that's debatable due to their usage and both of their injuries. Whether or not Sandin is presently better as an NHL prospect is even way harder to project. Lilly's skating seems to have improved this year over last and he is defending better. Sandin still needs to improve his quickness to play at an NHL pace. Presently means nothing. Let's see who's better a year or two from now.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Sandin hasn't had to face the adversities or as many injuries as Lilly so yes it may appear as though Sandin has passed Lilly but Lilly can't do much impressing from the press box.

With all that said, we have both of these studs who are going to get better with more experience and are looking to become solid top 4 D on a team that is going to need them very badly for cheap in the future.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Is Kadri better than Bozak?
Is Nylander better than Marner?
Is Tavares better than Matthews?
Is Marner better than Matthews?
Is Gardiner better than Rielly?
Is Dermott better than Gardiner?
Is Kapanen better than Nylander?
Is Johnsson better than Kapanen?

Don't care, beside for Bozak now years later, they're all ours.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Is Kadri better than Bozak?
Is Nylander better than Marner?
Is Tavares better than Matthews?
Is Marner better than Matthews?
Is Gardiner better than Rielly?
Is Dermott better than Gardiner?
Is Kapanen better than Nylander?
Is Johnsson better than Kapanen?

Don't care, beside for Bozak now years later, they're all ours.

Is Keefe better than Babcock?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sandin has been the quicker developer and I suspect has the better chance at becoming a top pairing NHLer (not to say that’s a guarantee). Liljegren looks to be developing nicely as well though

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Love that we have both.

Hoping that in the next couple of years they can become our 2nd pairing together.

Now, if only Dermott can figure our that he really is a RHD and not a LHD............ :help:

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Liljegren is currently better, but Sandin is the better prospect as he's ahead of Liljegren at the same age

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I think they're at least very close, so when you account for Sandin being a year younger, he should be seen as the better prospect. The development curve for players at that age is huge, so an extra year is a big advantage.

Sandin's also exactly what we need (aside from not being a RHD). A very calm PMD that can get the puck out of our zone effectively and works well under pressure. Less prone to the gaffs some PMD make when you pressure them, even though his offensive ceiling is probably lower.
I think the difference between the two is that Lily tries to force the high risk passes and that is when he is prone to giveaways. Sandin usually makes the smart plays but from what I have seen they are both pretty good under pressure and getting the puck out of the zone. Lily just needs to crack down on making the safer plays and he could be a very good player for us. Glad to have both.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I kind of thought we all know Lilly is darn good. Sandin seems to get all the good articles about his play and not Lilly.

They could likely come into camp next season and be our third pairing together. Its great Sandin is equally as good already.

Reactions: Menzinger

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sandin has great hockey IQ, which is why I give him the "crack the lineup" edge. When you're entering the league as a D, the coach needs to trust you'll make the right decision.

Lil still has higher upside I suppose, but I notice people backing away from his offensive prowess, his skating.

Both are so young, who knows where they end up in the pecking order. They both look legit NHL D men, which is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad