OT: Any Video evidence of refs jobbing Leafs in this thread plz.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Why was Gallagher's mid-shaft high stick gwg allowed the other night while Thortnton's mid-shaft high stick goal disallowed?

looks like it was the right call to me. Looks high. Also Gally's didn't directly go in the net, so he can knock the puck down below shoulder level and play it. Even if his shoulder level is above the bar. Its one of the stupid quirks of the rulebook I will never understand. because big-Z shoulder level is like 2 feet above the bar, so he is fine to knock it down provided it does not directly go in the net. completely stupid

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Why was Gallagher's mid-shaft high stick gwg allowed the other night while Thortnton's mid-shaft high stick goal disallowed?

My only guess is that it went directly into the net, whereas Gallagher's did not.

However I do think there is major inconsistency there.

Same with the other Thornton goal. It's fine if that is the rule, but we've seen other teams do a lot worse to our goalie in similar situations and they've mostly been good goals.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I will say, yesterday was absolutely pathetic officiating. Marner as the puck carrier was hauled down at the OTT blue line by like 3 players, no call. Fast forward later in the game, Hyman gets called for tripping on Chabot away from the puck . It got me thinking, how many calls have we had this year away from the puck called against us??? Blows my mind how vigilant these clowns can be on bullshit infractions like the Hyman and Dermott calls, yet blatantly play blind when our puck carriers get hauled down. Maybe its a bias, but I literally cannot remember the last powerplay we have received from a penalty away from the play. This imbalance is completely mind numbing to me. If you wanna call the game tight, fill your boots. Just make it even on both sides.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
My only guess is that it went directly into the net, whereas Gallagher's did not.

That's not an inconsistency, nor should it be a guess. Those are the rules, highstick is measured at the crossbar if the puck goes directly into the net, at the shoulder if the puck is knocked down and played.
The Gallagher goal and Thrornton no-goal were both the right calls.

It does seem like kind of a strange rule but its always been that way (at least in my memory). I assume it was mainly so the referees had a reference when they have to make the call. For deflections in front - the crossbar is there for the refs to compare, but out at centre ice it would be a lot harder to judge so they use the shoulder for comparison.

Reactions: freshwind

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yeah but these things happen to all teams. At all levels. All the time.
yeah so? I'm not that interested to read their boards. I like seeing what happens to this team, at the same time it wouldn't bother me if they had similar threads. Why would it?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
yeah so? I'm not that interested to read their boards. I like seeing what happens to this team, at the same time it wouldn't bother me if they had similar threads. Why would it?

Well, I'm not talking about your interest. I'm more talking about the silly OP who wants a petition against officials. Please tell me that he is being satirical or something and that I'm just missing the humour.

Reactions: Garthinater

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

Same with the other Thornton goal. It's fine if that is the rule, but we've seen other teams do a lot worse to our goalie in similar situations and they've mostly been good goals.
His first disallowed goal could have gone either way really. I think the refs made the right call, but there is just too much grey in that play. I think what doesn't really add up to me is that the puck is clearly loose. How is Joe supposed to make a play on that? if Murray were in a butterfly, he wouldn't have budged when joe pushed it home, but because he was in a vulnerable position, his legs just followed the puck in. but no matter how joe plays that, that would have been the outcome. so essentially even though murray didn't have it cover, the result was the same. I understand when a goalie has clear possession and gets shoved in, thats completely different, this is a goal mouth scramble on a loose puck between goalie and player, and the player won in my mind

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well, I'm not talking about your interest. I'm more talking about the silly OP who wants a petition against officials. Please tell me that he is being satirical or something and that I'm just missing the humour.
LOL, well a petition is silly. Nevertheless the clips of noncalls and phantom calls are interesting. Even if only for the hilarity.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
This is the silliest most ridiculous self important thread I've ever seen.
Fact supported by irrefutable evidence: Refs engage in "game management" in order to try and keep pp's for both teams close to equal, and make games close in score.

Fact supported by irrefutable evidence: The leafs take the least amount of penalties in the league.

Claim: The refs use of game management is advantageous for teams that commit a lot of penalties, and is a significant disadvantage for teams that take very little penalties. I don't know why this is such a confrontational take.

So there is of course no "conspiracy" against the leafs... but as the team that takes the least amount of penalties, we see "game management" negatively affect us more than any other team.

Once the team the leafs are playing take a few "real" penalties, the game management begins where the refs desperately want to give the next few to the leafs. (Remember, the evidence that game management exists is irrefutable). So they let the other team get away with murder, while looking for even the tiniest leaf indiscretion.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Fact supported by irrefutable evidence: Refs engage in "game management" in order to try and keep pp's for both teams close to equal, and make games close in score.

Fact supported by irrefutable evidence: The leafs take the least amount of penalties in the league.

Claim: The refs use of game management is advantageous for teams that commit a lot of penalties, and is a significant disadvantage for teams that take very little penalties. I don't know why this is such a confrontational take.

So there is of course no "conspiracy" against the leafs... but as the team that takes the least amount of penalties, we see "game management" negatively affect us more than any other team.

Once the team the leafs are playing take a few "real" penalties, the game management begins where the refs desperately want to give the next few to the leafs. (Remember, the evidence that game management exists is irrefutable). So they let the other team get away with murder, while looking for even the tiniest leaf indiscretion.
Perfect thank you. I put it up so it’s all in one place every time it comes up that we are getting burned by terrible reffing. The board has contributed everything to this thread, i have supported it and started it. It’s definitely nothing about me. The proof in this thread is incredible. Thanks again everyone who supports it and add to it.
Gallagher last night called out the lack of consistency. These refs are fixing games. There has been a really large amount of chatter about terrible reffing in the Nhl since we have had this thread going.
Ironically our minutes per game penalties deficit we were up against when this started has shrunk since. Game management is real and wrong.
Gallagher is right. The Nhl reffing is horrible and inconsistent. He has to call it “ inconsistent” I don’t. They are fixing games.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
This is the silliest most ridiculous self important thread I've ever seen.

I've seen numerous plays where we get a call our way and the same play happens and the other team doesn't get a pp. Yet nobody posts those videos.

For some reason certain leaf fans have it in their mind that we are being targeted by the refs lol

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Surprised no one is talking about the MMA Judo hip throw Webber did on Matthews in the last game, it was clear as JSP throwing Bisping... it was near Toronto's blueline, away from the play, Weber grabbed Matthews, hip threw him... dirty play, no call... no suspension, no mentions on the highlights... nothing ... one of the dirtiest plays I've seen this year.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I've seen numerous plays where we get a call our way and the same play happens and the other team doesn't get a pp. Yet nobody posts those videos.

For some reason certain leaf fans have it in their mind that we are being targeted by the refs lol

Some refs do intentionally favor other teams (or have it out for a certain player) but the vast majority is just incompetence.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Read the entire thread and post something in line with the reality of the thread.Go make a video and post something along the lines of the utter garbage of the diving forearm smash Nurse put on Mikheyev as the video in this thread shows. That call should never go uncalled. I think your minimization is fitting to how media rationalizes 4 straight years of Leafs getting shafted by refs managing games to zero benefit to skill teams. We get shafted as a possession team. So post away your examples of our supposed benefit we are getting. I look forward to the argument because you will get one from me.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t hate the idea just for interest purposes but to complain about it as if the refs are out to get the leafs is absolutely hilarious. Like someone else said, happens to every team literally every game. Refs are humans too
The league and refs are not calling the game by the rules. Thats nothing less than fixing games. Call it by the darn book. The video proof of multiple boarding penalties against Leafs that were ignored are in this thread. It’s not talk,it’s real video catalogs of potential injuries and actual injuries against Matthews in game #1 against Montreal. We lost Matthews from brutal cross checks and video clearly shows referees 20 feet away ignoring it. I can take the heat for documentation of the events with the help of other Leafers. I don’t feel like a homer or entitlement or whining. :).

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The league and refs are not calling the game by the rules. Thats nothing less than fixing games. Call it by the darn book. The video proof of multiple boarding penalties against Leafs that were ignored are in this thread. It’s not talk,it’s real video catalogs of potential injuries and actual injuries against Matthews in game #1 against Montreal. We lost Matthews from brutal cross checks and video clearly shows referees 20 feet away ignoring it. I can take the heat for documentation of the events with the help of other Leafers. I don’t feel like a homer or entitlement or whining. :).

The same struggle is going on in the CZW. Declared "The most illegal thing in the history of wrestling", The Runaways (Gacy and Slater) were absolutely robbed by the referee. The rule book absolutely tossed in the garbage.

;)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Maybe the thread helped maybe its coincidence but we have been coming out fairly equal with the calls lately. Considering we aren't composed of guys that get a lot of penalties, we are probably still getting the short end but things seem better.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad