OT: Any Video evidence of refs jobbing Leafs in this thread plz.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So, there was once this guy named Kerry Fraser.....

You had to go there?

liar-liar-desperate-fool.gif

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Forget about missed calls.

These dipshits refuse to even protect our players.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Exactly. The author does a lot of research and backs up his views with statistics. No matter how wide the discrepancy in the matchup between teams in PIMS/60 --> it does not make any difference in terms of one team getting more powerplays. You would think that surely disciplined teams would fare better against teams that take a lot of penalties but it's simply not the case and it's league wide. The data doesn't lie.
Does he mention player safety anywhere in this because our players are getting put in a dangerous position as just seen on the ignored call on Kerfoot

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
These types of egregious non-calls go back to the early 90s.

The ones that anger me the most (besides the Gilmour highstick):

In the 2004 playoffs against Philly, Sundin was highsticked when Roenick ended it on OT.
In the 2013 playoffs against Boston, for the last 11 minutes of the game Boston was allowed to hook, hold, elbow, and interfere with impunity - JVR was elbowed right in the mouth at center ice with a clear view from the officials.
This is now and we have refs now putting our players at risk of injury. So we have a thread documenting it. Thats good.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Does he mention player safety anywhere in this because our players are getting put in a dangerous position as just seen on the ignored call on Kerfoot

He touches briefly on the Matthews mugging by way of cross-checking by Chiarot in game 1. Hey he only missed one game right? Low harm no fowl (is a term I just made up).

Mr Papagoergyo

Feb 17, 2019
It's on the refs if a player gets hurt from that. Sadly someone is probably going to get hurt before it's fixed.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Leafs were up 2 PP's to 0 are leading and have already scored 1 PP goal. It's literally that simple as crazy as that sounds.
Here's what pisses me off, though; if the situation were reversed? The refs would still make that call.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
if you just take Kerfoot out of the penalty/powerplay equation for the Leafs this year, how much more even does it look?

I really wonder whose wife he met at a bar

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why Toronto's penalty complaints are legitimate, and symptoms of a league-wide problem • The Faceoff Circle

This is an excellent article I think it's changed my mind.

The Leafs aren't getting jobbed intentionally by the refs. Refs are trying to create a net-zero advantage to keep games close and so as not to appear biased against one team. Teams (like the Leafs) who've been a skilled clean, possession type team will be "punished" when playing undisciplined and less skilled teams ( who will benefit from being allowed to cheat more because refs won't have a lopsided number of calls against one team in a game - AKA Game Management).

The answer for a skilled team (aka the Leafs)? Take more liberties and don't worry about staying out of the box. Just enjoy the even up calls because oh they're coming. Most importantly - be special teams kings. The more north of 100 they can be (PP +PK %) --> the more penalties they SHOULD be taking.

When the system rewards cheaters. Be the best cheater you can be.

Oh and the PP is lethal eh? Just need to bump up the PK % a bit.

I've had the same theory for awhile now, refs know Toronto has elite shooters and they don't want to ref in games that are asskickers. Call the game as it plays out. Simple. Fair.

So by the refs not calling PIMs on teams that deserve to be called they are in effect showing favoritism towards teams / players that can't play within the rules. If you have a speedy high powered offence vs a slow defence first team that is great 5 on 5, to beat the high power offence all you have to do is interfere, hold, hook, slow down the other team with impunity because you know there is a good chance you wont get called for it.

Refs need to call what they see, not call what they need to call to dictate an pre determined outcome. Teams like Tampa Bay and Boston have for far too long had a drastic advantage on the PP, refs have no issues putting those 2 teams on the PP. Refs need to get out of their own way and let the game happen the way the players dictate.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yup. I find when we go up by 2 goals, then watch out cause here come the fake calls to let the other teams back in.
A win but still a boarding call igmored. Well it’s something every game that is blatantly bad. We will just keep adding to this thread every game likely.

Reactions: OddyOh

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The missed calls can be frustrating but what's the worst are these made up calls. Like the Tavares interference, or the Muzzin "trip" vs the Oilers. I still remember game 1 vs the Caps, our 2nd goal the ref called it off because Naz was in the crease, despite not even touching Holtby. If you don't see it, don't assume something happened and call it.

The Kerfoot boarding/check from behind while ref #33 was watching is probably the worst so far this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad