OT: Any Video evidence of refs jobbing Leafs in this thread plz.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think there is a comprehensive amount of video in this thread now. Thanks to all Leafers that were kind enough to put it in here. Our first 10 games of non calls and bad calls are in here for the most part and thats awesome.

Thursday we get to start the next 10 game stretch. I personally doubt this poor reffing against us will stop. It’s great to have a video trail on what’s happening in our games. The quality of refereeing is being questioned in this thread and by the looks of it at this point, I don’t think there is any doubt calls are being ignored by refs,not missed.

Video after video of them 20 or 25 feet away looking at teams committing fouls against us and simply not making the call. So when someone tells you as a Leaf-fan everyone gets bad calls against their team,and you are whining. Just come here to this thread and go off video and not memory.

I definitely will be doing a online petition at a later date. Cataloging with these video is the first step. So lets keep getting all video proof in this thread fir the next 10 games. :)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This is luke Fox’s mainstream media take on Leafs special teams. He calls gifs by diehard fans “ borderline calls” in this article. He doesn’t call them poor reving, god nooooo.He seems more interested in burying his head in the sand than exposing the degree of bad calls against us.
So it’s minimized to Diehard Leaf fans Gifs of borderline calls on sportsnet. Thats gutless reporting
5 areas of concern for Maple Leafs after 'shotgun start' to season

All the video is Diehard Leafs Gifs according to Fox from sportsnet. That’s what he is saying. He didn’t see this threads video’s I’ll bet

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There is no fewer than a Dozen video’s of bad and missed calls in this thread in 10 games. Thats out of line. Holl even got a interference call while carrying the puck. Something smells

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Got the Soup mugging from multiple angles for yas:

To be fair though.....

It is impossible to miss that call on mikheyev. I’m going to go get the score and time of this non call and just the situation playing out in the game at that time. There is more of a story to it when the context is intact

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There are calls missed in every single pro and junior hockey game ever played ... to me it is calls made which are not really calls at all that get my goat ... and even worse when a ref decides a hockey game on his own which is worst ... the only one that decided a game and took away a point from us was January 20 2021 ... da ref called a tripping penalty on Muzzy when it was clear Oiler tripped on his own teammates stick mid way thru 3rd period ... and ref was like 10 feet away at a bad angle and made a call which he did not see clearly ... refs who make calls when they did not accurately see da play but make assumptions need to be eliminated from pro hockey ... it is a complete embarrassment and makes people who watch think we are amateur hour .. if you don't know for sure it was a call keep your arm down ... people always hate on missed Gretz call but ref flat out did not see it ... those i can live with as we are all human but when a ref sees play but assumes a trip because a guy falls down that is flat out WRONG ... Vegas got screwed big time on a call like that in a deciding playoff game ... those are inexcusable and require firings on da spot or a video system

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This is the Montreal game. Another blatant non call with 75 seconds left in this one when Mikheyev gets a full breakaway, ref is right there, Montreal players dives at his skates trips him, scoring chance gone. No call. Its at 6:55 in this clip. Just blatantly won’t call penalties against us. :). Thats cheating. Its no different than stealing for me. This is not integrity and I won’t accept it.

Watch from 6:50. Also watch Marner get boarded by two players right in the numbers at 6:30 in this clip. It’s worse than i can stomach. The call was that Marner got sandwiched by a couple Canadiens. Thats Cuthtroat calling that game. Thats his name isn’t it

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is the Montreal game. Another blatant non call with 75 seconds left in this one when Mikheyev gets a full breakaway, ref is right there, Montreal players dives at his skates trips him, scoring chance gone. No call. Its at 6:55 in this clip. Just blatantly won’t call penalties against us. :). Thats cheating. Its no different than stealing for me. This is not integrity and I won’t accept it.

Watch from 6:50. Also watch Marner get boarded by two players right in the numbers at 6:30 in this clip. It’s worse than i can stomach. The call was that Marner got sandwiched by a couple Canadiens. Thats Cuthtroat calling that game. Thats his name isn’t it

The Marner thing wasn't too vicious, so that is probably fine. That was definitely a trip on Mikheyev though.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I don't watch a ton of leaf games. Assume this thread was going to be similar to every other team, with sour grapes and boo hoo my team gets crappy calls. But hold C#$p batman....these are unreal. Ya, you folks have a ton to be pi$$ed off about. Not sure if the Nylander, Holl or Kerfoot was the most head scratching.....

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There are calls missed in every single pro and junior hockey game ever played ... to me it is calls made which are not really calls at all that get my goat ... and even worse when a ref decides a hockey game on his own which is worst ... the only one that decided a game and took away a point from us was January 20 2021 ... da ref called a tripping penalty on Muzzy when it was clear Oiler tripped on his own teammates stick mid way thru 3rd period ... and ref was like 10 feet away at a bad angle and made a call which he did not see clearly ... refs who make calls when they did not accurately see da play but make assumptions need to be eliminated from pro hockey ... it is a complete embarrassment and makes people who watch think we are amateur hour .. if you don't know for sure it was a call keep your arm down ... people always hate on missed Gretz call but ref flat out did not see it ... those i can live with as we are all human but when a ref sees play but assumes a trip because a guy falls down that is flat out WRONG ... Vegas got screwed big time on a call like that in a deciding playoff game ... those are inexcusable and require firings on da spot or a video system
You need to watch the videos of ignored calls that would go in pur favour in the videos in the thread. The refs are looking right at the fouls in the videos. They are ignored calls and they are plenty

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't watch a ton of leaf games. Assume this thread was going to be similar to every other team, with sour grapes and boo hoo my team gets crappy calls. But hold C#$p batman....these are unreal. Ya, you folks have a ton to be pi$$ed off about. Not sure if the Nylander, Holl or Kerfoot was the most head scratching.....
Thanks man. It’s maddening so we are putting all the video in one thread. Keep checking back I’m sure there will be more in no time :)
Oh you have to see the flying arm at Mikheyev too then. Pulls him down, wraps his legs around him and spins him out lol. Figure skaters don’t spin as much. No call

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Ok. So why hasn't it happened?

There seems to be an implication of a leaf fan pressure / possible boycott.

Can someone please tell me when this has happened in the history of sports. When has fan pressure ever lead to Ted Rogers phoning Bettman and turned referees to favor Toronto?

If you've ever had a father as a leaf fan then you'll know about the world wide conspiracy of refs calling against TOR. I just see this thread as a funny spin off to that claim. IMHO.
Actually Luke Fox mentions Diehards fan popping Gifs up for “borderline calls” He calls them. He’s seeing these gifs and video’s. Unfortunately he minimized the situation in this article i will link. Frankly i would say he’s yapping off half cocked. If he seen the video in this thread he might think differently. His penalty stats are good but kind of slight to say the least. He mentions he has seen them is my point. There is a post from a non leaf fan in this thread saying he would be p!ssed too. He thought it was just another thread run of the mill complaining by fans. He see’s the beef. Here is the link where fox mentions the beef that is out there. Maybe he should delve in to this thread. 5 areas of concern for Maple Leafs after 'shotgun start' to season5 areas of concern for Maple Leafs after 'shotgun start' to season
This should and will take time. I’m good with that. Then i will organize a online petition. Probably send it to the Leafs questioning if there is a perceived problem with it on their end. There are many routes. Squeaky wheel gets the grease bro

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
We are going to have to resort to faking injuries i guess... this has been by far the worst reffing I've seen in the league except the Boston series.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You need to watch the videos of ignored calls that would go in pur favour in the videos in the thread. The refs are looking right at the fouls in the videos. They are ignored calls and they are plenty
I watched all the outrageous calls that got missed too ... game management by refs has also happened throughout 100 years of pro hockey unfortunately ... same as 2 different rule books for regular season vs playoffs ... this has to be part of every teams game plan as life/hockey is never fair ... but again when a call is made, which was not a CALL, which decides a game purely by refs decision those for hockey players are cardinal sins ... these are calls where refs did not truly see da infraction but saw end results and assumed things like they did on Muzzy ... those are times da arm should NEVER be raised ... I am in favour of a coaches challenge for those kinda egregious errors in 3rd periods or later in games ... again calls missed occur and they have forever in every game ever played ... and always remember we are Toronto and are hated even within our province ... all ya gotta do is go watch a Toronto AAA team in a tournament outside GTA, say Kitchener or Sudbury, and you will get it asap ... it has always been that way

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think the takedown of Mikheyev was the worst but the phantom penalties are brutal as well

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's just too difficult to sort out but to my eye the game seems to be called fairly well until we get the lead.

Reactions: OddyOh

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Why Toronto's penalty complaints are legitimate, and symptoms of a league-wide problem • The Faceoff Circle

This is an excellent article I think it's changed my mind.

The Leafs aren't getting jobbed intentionally by the refs. Refs are trying to create a net-zero advantage to keep games close and so as not to appear biased against one team. Teams (like the Leafs) who've been a skilled clean, possession type team will be "punished" when playing undisciplined and less skilled teams ( who will benefit from being allowed to cheat more because refs won't have a lopsided number of calls against one team in a game - AKA Game Management).

The answer for a skilled team (aka the Leafs)? Take more liberties and don't worry about staying out of the box. Just enjoy the even up calls because oh they're coming. Most importantly - be special teams kings. The more north of 100 they can be (PP +PK %) --> the more penalties they SHOULD be taking.

When the system rewards cheaters. Be the best cheater you can be.

Oh and the PP is lethal eh? Just need to bump up the PK % a bit.

Reactions: gtforepro

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Why Toronto's penalty complaints are legitimate, and symptoms of a league-wide problem • The Faceoff Circle

The Leafs aren't getting jobbed intentionally by the refs. Refs are trying to create a net-zero advantage to keep games close and so as not to appear biased against one team. Teams (like the Leafs) who've been a skilled clean, possession type team will be "punished" when playing undisciplined and less skilled teams ( who will benefit from being allowed to cheat more because refs won't have a lopsided number of calls against one team in a game - AKA Game Management).

The answer for a skilled team (aka the Leafs)? Take more liberties and don't worry about staying out of the box. Just enjoy the even up calls because oh they're coming. Most importantly - be special teams kings. The more north of 100 they can be (PP +PK %) --> the more penalties they SHOULD be taking.

Oh wow, great article, thanks for sharing. That graph makes it all make sense.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I didn’t read the article, but my feeling was also that maybe referees don’t want to impact the game by giving too many favourable calls a big market, big budget team with a great special teams roster on paper, as it would feel like a death sentence for the other team. Completely backwards and shows implicit game management tendencies but that could have something to do with it for sure.

Reactions: supermann_98

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I didn’t read the article, but my feeling was also that maybe referees don’t want to impact the game by giving too many favourable calls a big market, big budget team with a great special teams roster on paper, as it would feel like a death sentence for the other team. Completely backwards and shows implicit game management tendencies but that could have something to do with it for sure.

Exactly. The author does a lot of research and backs up his views with statistics. No matter how wide the discrepancy in the matchup between teams in PIMS/60 --> it does not make any difference in terms of one team getting more powerplays. You would think that surely disciplined teams would fare better against teams that take a lot of penalties but it's simply not the case and it's league wide. The data doesn't lie.

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
These types of egregious non-calls go back to the early 90s.

The ones that anger me the most (besides the Gilmour highstick):

In the 2004 playoffs against Philly, Sundin was highsticked when Roenick ended it on OT.
In the 2013 playoffs against Boston, for the last 11 minutes of the game Boston was allowed to hook, hold, elbow, and interfere with impunity - JVR was elbowed right in the mouth at center ice with a clear view from the officials.

Reactions: OddyOh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad